Khyodee's Tally Sheet

Khyodee

So I'm starting this forum thread to relay my experiences of playing outcasts to the community. I started doing this with my Making Jack Work thread, but why limit it to just Jack, as I am playing many of the masters right now. So I'll start posting my post-game reports and tell what worked, what didn't work, what I'm screwing up, and what I seem to be doing right.

That all said....I played another game of Jack vs Collodi
Turf War with Flank Deployment
LiTS, Assassinate, Bodyguard, Outflank, Take Prisoner

My Crew:

Jack Daw -- 7ss
 +Guillotine Injustice - 0ss
 +Twist And Turn - 2ss
 +Writing Torment - 2ss
 +Drowning Injustice - 0ss
 +Firing Squad Injustice - 0ss

Lady Ligeia - 4ss

Dr. Grimwell - 10ss
 +I Pay Better - 1ss

Hodgepodge Emissary - 10ss
 +Conflux Of The Damned - 0ss

Johan - 6ss

Nurse - 5ss

The Guilty - 5ss

My opponent is still new to Collodi and his list wasn't very optimized (which we talked about for a bit, so next game should be a lot cleaner) so I won't be focusing on it to much. Basically it was something like Fated Collodi, with 2x Totems, 2x Illuminated, Brutal & Arcane Effigy, and 1x Madness.

I took LiTS (revealed) and Take Prisoner (Madness)
He took Assassinate and Take Prisoner (Nurse)

The game ended up going 10 - 6 in my favor....He scored 4 off the strategy and then 2 off Take Prisoner. He hid the Madness most of the game with the intention of rushing it in at the end of the game, which worked fine for me as it saved me the AP of chasing after him. I also made sure that everyone had a "buddy" so he wouldn't be scoring full points on it.

Jack Daw spent most of the game poping out of walls to throw a curse on something, obey something, then move back into cover. This worked pretty well most game as I just kept throwing curses on Illuminated and Collodi when given the chance. I did really like Daw with Grimwell because of the docs (1) move action. I was able to really push Daw forward early in the game to throw out a curse, after Illuminated moved forward into turf area, and then used Grimwell's AP to move Jack back into cover. A fun trick I pulled off was that I drowning cursed a illuminated in the turf area (and black jokered the damage, but curse is still applied which I didn't realize) then obeyed it out of the area doing 2 damage in the process because of the curse.

Grimwell spend his time moving himself and others around for the first 2 rounds, then rounds 3,4,5 he "paid himself better" to lobotomize things to good effect. I really enjoyed his (1) AP move a friendly model action to help yank Daw around in the early game. He also has a fun trick with Ligeia and the Emissary if you set things up right.

Lady Legeia didn't do much this game other then kill off an illuminated at 1 wound, then die to a brutal effigy who was shooting like a champ. She didn't pull her weight this game really, but I know she has potential to be devastating in combination with Grimwell and Emissary.

Hodgepodge Emissary is a model I really like with Daw and gets work done. He did LiTS by himself easily and managed to place his curse on Collodi late in the game (if model cheats, takes 2 damage). He also helped Grimwell heal up a bit with the Vitality Potion, but another fun trick I realized with his trinkets is to give Grimwell companion. It takes some positional setup, but ideally you move Legeia out of cover and put a model in the 3" no cheat aura while placing her within 6" of Grimwell. Then I Pay Better, walk, lobotomize, ????, and profit.

Johan didn't do to much this game other then sit in a turf marker and cleanse of paralyze on the Emissary after it was healed by a nurse.

Nurse also didn't do much other then help hold the turf marker and healed a badly hurt emissary.

The Guilty did his normal bit of making another model tormented (Grimwell this time), then doing any scheme/strats I need which was helping holding a turf marker in this game.

Great stuff. Looking forward to read more from your games. 

I need to try Ligeia for myself although I'm full of doubts whether she can perform enough for her 4SS cost.

As for Nurse - I found her extremely useful. First turn she used to grant extra walk on one of my models so he can start running schemes faster. Later she is extremely handy with her Paralyze trigger or when she casts +2 damage on Johana and then Accomplice her to swing 3 times with weak damage of 5. Nasty stuff.

Holidays so Malifaux play has been a bit slow, but game 2...Levi vs Ironsides

Squatter's Rights with Flank Deployment

LiTS, Assassinate, Protect Territory, Make Them Suffer, Entourage

Levi with Protect Territory (revealed) and Make Them Suffer
Ironsides with Protect Territory (unrevealed) and Make Them Suffer

Leveticus -- 6ss
 +Desolate Soul - 2ss
 +Pariah Of Iron - 1ss

Hollow Waif x 2 - 0ss

Hodgepodge Effigy - 4ss

Mechanical Rider - 12ss

Necropunk - 5ss

Ryle - 10ss

Stitched Together - 6ss

Stitched Together - 6ss

The game ended 10 - 6 in my favor. My main takeaway from this game was Make Them Suffer is very easy for my opponent to complete with my "standard" Levi list since most of my minions aren't tough and I play as expendable. Next time I will need to change up my list to by dropping Mech Rider, Desolate Soul upgrade, and probably both stitched. My intial plan was to just concede the Make Them Suffer points because I needed to jam his models to prevent him getting claim markers (which is basically what I did). My opponent kept the game close, but made a key activation mistake (round 2) and should've gotten his protect markers down sooner (and ideally safer spots). The problem with Levi is he can get to that model that is trying to do protect territory and he can kill it, so have backups.

Levi - He did as Levi does, which is kill things and make abominations. Due to his waif porting, he was able to hunt down enemy minions without to much trouble. Levi got 2 out of the 3 Suffer points, killed Joss to deny Protect Territory, and kept summoning abominations that prevented claim marker flipping (and in once case flipped a marker to deny the rounds strategy point). My opponent did catch me off guard and used an fast Johan to charge Levi turn 4 to save his last minion, but I was able to keep Levi alive so I could walk (not breaking Melee with Johan), focus, and punch for 8 damage severe (thank god no hard to kill on minion).

Waifs - While I kept the waif I wanted to port to in a good spot each round, my other waifs positioning was poor. If the opponent had managed to kill the waif I intended to summon levi out of, there was a couple rounds I wouldn't have been able to summon Levi in (as the waifs were too far from anchors). I need to do better at have a backup plan on that and really there is no reason for not doing it as 1 waif could've easily been put into a good spot (one had to haul ass to keep up with Ryle who had places to be).

H.Efigy - He died turn 1 to a gun mage fire I believe, but he was being used to bait out the opponents models for Levi to come out and kill.

Mech Rider - Honestly didn't do a whole lot this game other then summon jammers that died feeding Make Them Suffer points to my opponent. She spent most the game holding a claim marker and absorbing some late game attacks from Ironsides. I've gotten plenty of work out of this model in many games, but as I stated earlier I think another big anchor would've worked better in this game (Joss, Howard, Peacekeeper maybe).

2x Stitched - Did some damage with Gamble your life (mostly at Ironsides as she is easy to hit at range), to soften her up if I ended up needing to kill her. One flipped a claim marker turn 2 for me and sat on it, the other ended up charging forward to deny opponent a turn 2 strat point. Not exactly the best model for the job here, but I love the threat that they pose on the board. I would change them for Make Them Suffer though as they die easily and can accidentally kill models you mean to soften up for the kill.

Necropunk - Got to claim marker turn 1 and dropped my protect territory markers, so he did good.

Ryle - Took off to the other corner of the board with a single waif. This ended up being pretty important as my opponent opted to let me go first turn 2 (to his mistake though) and Ryle was able to tie up his acolyte on the claim marker and prevent him from taking it. The waif also ended up being a key spot for Levi to pop out on the other side of the board to get my last Suffer point.

• Like 1

This got me thinking a bit more about Pariah of Iron anchor options that I need to try out to see if they work or not. So here is the outside of faction list....

• Bunraku
  • Flesh Construct
  • Large Arachnid
  • Soulstone Miner
  • Stitched Together
  • The Scorpius
  • Warden
  • Coryphee
  • Hunter
  • Student of Sinew
  • Student of Steel
  • Guardian
  • Steam Arachnid Swarm
  • Student of Viscera
  • Vasilisa
  • Ice Golem
  • Joss
  • Rogue Necromancy
  • Ryle
  • The Valedictorian
  • Peacekeeper
  • Rail Golem
  • Teddy
  • Hooded Rider
  • Howard Langston
  • Mechanical Rider

So what anchors have you tried out? Who did you like? Dislike?

So far I've used Soulstone miner, Hunter, Stitched Together, Joss, Ryle, and Mech Rider with Levi.

Soulstone miners aren't typically used to anchor (they are good for entourage anchor though).

I like Joss, Ryle, and Mech Rider which are all solid.

I never seem to get much work out of Hunters (they die way to easy for 7ss) so I'm not a big fan of them. I would much rather run with stitched which die easy as well, but have more damage potential.

• Like 1

Alright, I got in another game tonight, Tara vs TT Jakob Lynch

Interference with Flank Deployment
LiTS, Assassinate, Breakthrough, Make Them Suffer, Vendetta

The player was relatively new, so I figured I would try a new Tara build to get a feel for what it can do and I'm happy with my results. The list was the following.

Tara -- 5ss
 +Dead Of Winter - 1ss
 +Obliteration Symbiote - 2ss

Karina - 5ss
 +The Faces Of Oblivion - 0ss

Aionus - 12ss
 +I Pay Better - 1ss

Death Marshal - 6ss

Freikorps Trapper - 6ss

Hannah - 10ss

Johan - 6ss

Tara schemes: Make Them Suffer, Vendetta (trapper vs beckoner)
Jakob schemes: Assassinate, LiTS (revealed)

His List was Jakob (Rising Sun, Woke Up, Wanna See), Huggy (Addict), 2x Illuminated, 2x Beckoners, Mr. Tannen, Samurai (can't hurt self upgrade).

Tara ended up doing very little this game other then moving up forward turn 1 and dropping out Johan to charge Mr. Tannen. She ended up dying mid turn 2 to Jakob who final debted her with a massive 9 card hand to get assassinate.

Karina also didn't end up doing much other then help score strategy points. I did have 1 turn with a Red Joker which summoned a student of steel that ended up doing only a couple damage to the samurai before burying (and with no way to unbury it as Tara was dead by then).

Aionus did some work this game. He stuck around the trapper for the first couple rounds to focus + fast him. I do really like him in combination with Hannah who can offensively bury targets, which allowed him to attack a minion turn 2 and kill it while staying back next to the trapper. Aionus is also a strong counter to Huggy, as Huggy can't hurt him very well and he does full damage back to him. His ability to ignore armor also finished the samurai as well.

Hannah is a hard model for me to use because I really dislike paying 10ss for a model that often does feel like she is doing a whole lot. That said, her ability to clone a death marshal's pine box and hold them in at WP8 is nice, especially with Aionus being able to then punch it. I'm slowly warming to her and trying to use the logic that she is kinda only 8 points with a built in 2 point upgrade for Arcane Reservoir, and the extra card is quite nice. I also used her to stop the luring of beckoners as they need their suits to do it. As for the bad, she ended up spending 4 attacks trying to kill an illuminated unsuccessfully, which wasn't very impressive. I would give her I pay better so she can focus attack each round, but then she has to stay back if I want to buff the trapper....so I'm not sure if that is worth it and I'm leaning towards no.

Death Marshal pine boxed Johan turn 1 then just followed Hannah until it was killed by the Samurai shooting at her. The ability to bury helps the Tara crew so I think its worth it's "7ss" cost, but it would be nice if it was a little cheaper.

Trapper did lots of work this game as he scored Vendetta turn 1 with 2 focused shots against the beckoner (I deployed 2nd and was able to place him to do the attacks first thing and Aionus made him fast and focused for a card each). The trapper then turn 2 fired two more focused shots into Lynch putting to 2 wounds (including with ss use) and upon winning initiate put another shot into Lynch to kill him. The rest of game he didn't get to many worth-while shots, but he did hold a corner of the board for me.

Johan is still my red joker champion, as he killed an illuminated with it on turn 2 after killing Mr. Tannen turn 1 due to Tara unburying him in charge range. He also flurried Huggy and got him to a couple wounds, but Huggy was able to heal himself up and kill Johan in the process on turn 3.

So all in all, I like the crew composition and I will need to give it a try again in a better suited strategy for it (normally I would do Levi for Interference).

Played another game this week of Tara vs. Colette

Corner Deployment in Extraction
LiTS, Protect Territory, Assassinate, Vendetta, Outflank

I played the same list as last time...

Tara -- 5ss
 +Dead Of Winter - 1ss

Karina - 5ss

Aionus - 12ss
 +I Pay Better - 1ss

Death Marshal - 6ss

Freikorps Trapper - 6ss

Hannah - 10ss

Johan - 6ss

My opponent played Colette (Shell Game, Cabaret Choreography, Arcane Reservoir), Cassandra (Imbued Protection, Smoke and Mirrors), Envy (Imbued Protection), Rail Worker, 2x Coryphee.

My Schemes: Protect Territory, Vendetta (Johan vs Envy)
Opponent Schemes: LiTS, Protect Territory

The game ended 6-4 to the arcanist player and the play of the game was 2nd turn Envy getting to massive focused shots off killing Hannah, Karina, and Johan in one activation thanks to a dove and red joker flip. The key decision that lost me the game is I have to choice to send a Johan bomb off to charge into Envy (next to the rest of opponents crew) or charge a Coryphee before it danced together. I chose to do the latter deciding I could rebury Johan and go for Envy kill a turn later. This of course turned out to be a huge mistakes as that Envy activation cost me 22ss of my crew due to red joker damage followed by severe damage from Envy. I did though kill the coryphee at least so no duet to deal with this game. I will note, that Vendetta on a key model you have to kill is risky because I really wish I didn't vendetta Envy after the game started because I had chances to go after it that I ignored since I needed Johan to kill it (I did shot it a couple times with sniper to soften it....failing every manipulative check which ate my hand). I knew the game was pretty much over after that huge point swing since I had no real way to deal with his numbers (aka stop LiTS & Protect Territory), but I figured I could get 4-5 points still. Johan died the following round to the 2nd coryphee going to town on him while Aionus charged up the middle to finish off Envy and the Rail worker to get rid of Colette's toys. The game ended with a single model on my side (Tara), getting protect territory. My opponent ended the game with both Cassandra and Colette in the middle scoring Extraction.

TL:DR

• Don't but vendetta on a target you need to die not matter the cost (may try to avoid killing it when you have chance to score)
  • Envy + Doves hurts, so next time don't let Envy shoot. A Duet is annoying, but unlikely to kill 22 points in 1 activation.
  • Kept throwing model in opponents face to prevent him scoring Extraction (worked for 2 rounds), but he kept killing my models preventing me from scoring
  • Protect Territory is still easy to do

4 hours ago, daniello_s said:

You can't charge Coryphee. It's ability disallow opponent to charge it.

Yea, my opponent reminded me that in game too now that you say that and I didn't actually charge it. I ended up walking twice with Tara to drop Johan in melee range so he could flurry it when I chain activated into it.

5 hours ago, daniello_s said:

How was Karina's performance? Any good? Same question about Aionus.

Karina and Aionus I've had mixed results with in games so far. I think Karina is good, but many games if you just don't get the cards (and I don't seem to very often) she is a 5ss model that does jobs a 4ss model could do just as well. Basically you are paying that 1ss for the potential of great things (ie. summoning punk zombies). Last few games she hasn't done that much work to be honest.

As for Aionus, I've had him useful in games, but I feel like his job could've been done by something better suited for the job (I only punched a bury model once to good effect in 3 games with him). So I'm having doubts on his usefulness, but I've not used him to his full ability either.

17 hours ago, Freman said:

Karina would be great if they dropped the suit requirement for her summoning. Normal summoning masters and henchmen can use stones for the suits, but she can't.

Making her a henchman rather than an enforcer would fix that too.

I 100% always just assumed she is a henchman. Weird.

Two more games.

Game 1: Tara vs Collodi ended 9 - 3 in favor of Tara
Game 2: Tara vs Lady J ended 8 -6 in favor of Tara

My crew was mostly the same for both games with only a couple changes

Tara -- 5ss
 +Dead Of Winter - 1ss
 +I Pay Better - 1ss
Karina - 5ss
Death Marshal - 6ss
Envy - 9ss
Killjoy - 12ss
 +Oathkeeper - 1ss
Sue - 8ss
Void Wretch - 4ss

In game 2 I dropped Killjoy and subbed in Johan and a Rat Catcher.

Game 1 was Collect The Bounty with standard deployment

Game 2 was Squatter's Rights with corner deployment

The gameplan was to use the "Envy Bomb" on the enemy by positioning Tara up the board, burying Envy, poping him out to take 2 focused shots at the end of turn 1 (I Pay Better, shot, (0) focus, shot) which ideally this in turn yanks out Killjoy to rampage in the opponent's backfield (which I took game 1). In both games I got greedy with my Envy bomb and shot at the opponents masters, which didn't have quite the effect I was hoping though. Game 1, I ended up black jokering the damage and Collodi pushed away. I then only had a marionette in range and and it has hard to kill so no deaths and no round 1 killjoy. The lesson here, target something squishy to assure yourself getting a kill. Game 2, I was smarter about the targetting, but I wanted to get some blasts going which kinda worked. The first shot hit and blasted into an austringer, but then the second shot I had no way to blast and an austringer at 1 wound and hiding is fully capable of doing his job (it did end up dying, but not until turn 5).

The other lesson in these games is Crooligans...why have I never summoned these in early with Karina before (well actually it was because I didn't have the models till just recently)? I would've never gotten 2 claim markers on turn 2 corner deployment without that turn 1 summon of a crooligan which buried and allowed Tara to flip the claim marker she ended on then pop out the crooligan to quickly flip another one. The rest of my crew was heading towards the left corner of the board and didn't get in range to flip until turn 3 and they also needed to get some scheme markers down as well.

Tara - Now that I'm running her with Dead of Winter, she feels a bit more useful just because I don't mind spamming her melee attack just to try and bury enemies which now need a WP 15 duel (including -2 WP from upgrade) or get buried which actually does make it hard to pass. After game 2, I am starting to understand the real power of her being able to simply reposition smaller models to flip claim markers. Tara still has a high death rate so far in my games, but honestly if it isn't scoring points for the opponent I actually don't care to much (though it does make it awkward when you can't summon off Karina because you have no way of unburying summoned models).

Karina - She now feels much better knowing that crooligans are a good option for summoning since it only needs a 9 of crows. Sue also helps out with Karina by providing an extra card a turn and by being cheaper then Hannah.

Sue - I do like the boy named Sue and think he is a good value for 8ss, hard to kill, and min 3 damage with + flips. He is like an expensive Johan with more utility (not a bad thing). I think he shall be making it into more of my crews. The Man in Black (0) action is also nice against casters (though against collodi who often has multiple plus flips, less so).

Death Marshal - It did the usual bury my big models and move forward for schemes and picking off softer targets.

Envy - This one is a hard one to gauge for me. Part of my problem has been my targeting with Envy, but he also is a resource hog needed no less then 2 cards a turn for his focused shots (more if you need/want to cheat). The problem with discarding crappy cards is that you are putting them back into your deck, making it weaker next round, or if you discard moderate cards then you don't have them to cheat if you need them. Plus you also really want to have the scheme marker bonus, which is a big deal, but you won't likely have it on turn 1 when you first bomb. He also is a high priority target for the opponents and if you put him further up the board to shoot he is likely to die early, so you have to be careful with him (and again your targeting). It isn't a bad idea to keep the death marshal nearby (or Tara in a pinch) to bury him and heal him with the void wretch.

Void Wretch - The scheme runner and crew healer, not much else to it.

Killjoy / Johan & Rat Catcher - Killjoy is part of the kill package which I took to score Collect the Bounty and one of new schemes. Good lord he was a magnet for bad flips (or good flips for the opponent) the game I took him, but he did his job in killing one minion (yea...only 1), absorbing a lot of attacks, and most importantly just tying up the enemy models (1 young neph, 1 illuminated, and Barbarous). In game 2 I opted for Johan & the Rat Catcher mostly because I wanted the don't mind me for both squatter's rights and the heavy marker dropping pool. I don't have much to say for either of them honestly, Johan just absorbed a Lady J charge and protected a claim marker and the Rat Catcher just ran up and did interactions away from the enemy.

• Like 1

Leveticus vs Von Schill
Reckoning with Corner Deployment
New Schemes....

My list

Leveticus -- 5ss

+Pariah Of Iron - 1ss
 +Desolate Soul - 2ss
 +Tally Sheet - 1ss

Hollow Waif x 2 - 0ss

Coryphee - 7ss

Desolation Engine - 13ss

Freikorps Trapper - 6ss

Johan - 6ss

Lazarus - 10ss
 +Oathkeeper - 1ss

His list was Von Schill (Scout the field, Survivalist, The shirt comes off), Malifaux Child, Bishop (Scramble), F. Librarian, F. Trapper, 2x Freikorpsmann, Johan.

The game ended up being 8 - 7 in Leveticus' favor.

So this game was focusing on trying out some models with Levi that I haven't taken so yet to see how they did for me. In retrospect a couple of them were bad decisions for the pool and I wouldn't take them for a tournament game (Desolation Engine in Reckoning....). I also basically paid 8ss for the coryphee since it was the only out of faction grap, but I wanted to test it out so I was fine with it for a casual game. As for the game, the main lesson I learned is to make sure you play for those turns 6 & 7 flips as I ended up giving my opponent 3 more points due to those extra rounds which I could've denied. It was a casual game though so I didn't move most my models on turn 5 since I figured the game was over and I only had to do 1 thing to score my max of 8 points (I had my schemes and Von Schill was only model left alive at end of turn 5, so no more reckoning points). But had it been a tourney I would've been a bit more aggressive in denying those last points. As for my opponent, his model choice could've been better for reckoning (more elite) to make the strategy a bit hard to score. He also played really aggressive while I moved up only slightly on turn 1 with the intention of unloading a lot of ranged attacks into him turn 2 (which I did to good effect).

Levi - He did his thing by deleting a model each turn starting turn 1 with red joker damage on the opponents trapper which he put to close to me. I could've held off on finishing it for the reckoning point, but I would rather not have to constantly pay attention where I'm placing things to avoid being shot at by it. I did make a questionable placement on Levi's end of turn placement turn 1 and then his turn 2 targets in hopes of scoring my reckoning points, but the black joker chose to rear its ugly head and prevented that opportunity. I probably should've not taken desolate soul for him either as I never bothered to make aboms since they are easy kills for reckoning.

Coryphee - This was a needed model to get to the opponents side to score scheme points (since the rest of my list was slower), but felt like a bit of overkill for basically 8ss. I still want to test this model out in a more combat heavy situation with it.

Desolation Engine - The model is a strange pick for reckoning (not to hard to kill and makes more models that are easy to kill), but it can sacrifice your own models that get low or are easy to kill. To be honest though, this thing is just a place holder until my Ashes & Dust is ready for the table.

Freikorps Trapper - Took a couple shots before Von Schill chased him down and killed him (guess he doesn't like traitors). Always nice board control as opponents move to deny shots, but really didn't do a whole lot this game other then eat some high cards from opponents had to dodge shots.

Johan - He basically played babysitter to a waif and move up the board slowly. He didn't do anything of note otherwise.

Lazarus - Laz did some work for me this game for once as he was flipping all my face cards. I had 3 rounds of rapid firing with him into various targets and hitting Bishop 2-3 times with blasts coming off a librarian mostly. In the end of the game Von Schill finished him off with his Jack Knife, but at that point it didn't matter to much to me (as Von Schill was all that was left alive).

Why did your opponent take Malifaux Child into his crew? Von Schill does not have any (1)AP Ca actions Child could cast. He would go better taking Hodgepodge Effigy as Von Schill likes to kill enemy models and additional soulstone is never a bad thing.

As for Coryphee - for extra 2SS you have Rusty who is just a bit slower than Coryphee but brings a lot of punch and is a Henchman. 

BTW - great write up again. Keep it going :D

6 hours ago, daniello_s said:

Why did your opponent take Malifaux Child into his crew? Von Schill does not have any (1)AP Ca actions Child could cast. He would go better taking Hodgepodge Effigy as Von Schill likes to kill enemy models and additional soulstone is never a bad thing.

As for Coryphee - for extra 2SS you have Rusty who is just a bit slower than Coryphee but brings a lot of punch and is a Henchman. 

I'm not sure why my opponent brought the child other then just a cheap activation and a healing flip since most of his stuff had some form of hard to kill with Von Schill around. As for the coryphee, more then anything I just wanted to test the model out and its walk of 7 was needed to out pace the enemy and get into his backfield which I needed to do for a scheme.