Official Tourny Model Conversion Rules

Philosfr

Question

I understand that it's normally up to the TO, prior approval, etc and all that whether a conversion is acceptable or not, I'm specifically asking about the Wyrd official tournament rules. When a model needs to be X% Wyrd, is that total mass of the model or how is the % determined?

For example, take a model like Kaeris. If she was given different wings and sword instead of her flame, but everything else was Kaeris, would that count per the official rules? And does it matter how large the wings and sword is? If I gave her an anime style sword that was too big for her to realistically hold, or gave her outsized wings (itty bitty nubs or giant glorious dragon wings), does that change the %?

I won't reveal any details or the model I'm actually converting per the Halloween contest rules, but I'm happy enough with one of my conversions that I'd love to use it as my standard model in this case. I can always bring both the converted version I have and the original version in case there's an issue, but just trying to figure it out for future reference. Thanks

6 answers to this question

Conversions, however, are acceptable. They are an excellent
way to show off your modelling skills, and that is part of the
fun. Original sculpts and conversions are allowed if the
Organizer deems them to be accurate representations of
the models portrayed. If using a model that was converted
with manufactured pieces, no more than 33% of the finished
model may be built using other game companies’ models,
while the rest must be either wholly or a combination of
original sculpt or Wyrd manufactured pieces, as determined
by the Organizer. If a model has an officially released
(non-beta) stat card available, but no model is yet released,
the player may field a conversion, but it must be easily
identifiable, as per the Organizer’s discretion.

From the gaining grounds rules. The percent rule only applies to using components from other manufacturers, so if you sculpt stuff yourself it doesn't fall underneath that. It's always going to be up to the TO though cause the model has to be deemed recognizable as the model it's representing.

Edited by Astrella

Even at Nova, the big malifaux Championships, it was all about getting the TO to approve your conversion. They seem to use the doc as a guideline, and certainly as something to fall back on when needing to explain their decisions. Mostly though, for both the TOs and my opponents, it felt like the question was "Does the model look close enough that a reasonable person won't misinterpret who it is", with maybe for the TOs, a bit of "Is it not a greenstuffed space marine?" thrown in there.

It was mostly the 33% non-Wyrd that I was questioning. I did use some manufactured components along with some greenstuff. But I didn't know if the 33% was total volume, or if the 33% was parts. i.e. if there was a tripod character and I replaced one of the tripods, that would be 33% and legit. But what if I used an over-sized piece for that tripod that was bigger than the other two? It's still only 1/3 of the tripod that is custom, but it now makes up more than 1/3 of the total model volume.

I know... probably overly picky. These are 100% recognizable since the head, body and pose (for the most part) are the same and they are all on legal bases, so I should be good in most places and my local TO certainly approved it already. I just am new to conversions so I thought I'd ask :)

If using a model that was converted with manufactured pieces, no more than 33% of the finished model may be built using other game companies’ models, while the rest must be either wholly or a combination of original sculpt or Wyrd manufactured pieces, as determined by the Organizer.

It's the organizer's call whether it's 33% by weight, volume, part count, price or whatever.  :)

More importantly, the golden rule of events still applies:  It's the tournament organizer's call to grant an exception for whatever reason.  That may be forbidding your model on some grounds not specified in the document, or it could be allowing your model on some grounds not specified in the document. 

Edited by solkan

It was mostly the 33% non-Wyrd that I was questioning. I did use some manufactured components along with some greenstuff. But I didn't know if the 33% was total volume, or if the 33% was parts. i.e. if there was a tripod character and I replaced one of the tripods, that would be 33% and legit. But what if I used an over-sized piece for that tripod that was bigger than the other two? It's still only 1/3 of the tripod that is custom, but it now makes up more than 1/3 of the total model volume.

I know... probably overly picky. These are 100% recognizable since the head, body and pose (for the most part) are the same and they are all on legal bases, so I should be good in most places and my local TO certainly approved it already. I just am new to conversions so I thought I'd ask :)

Not to mention it's 33% of OTHER companies models, not Wyrd's.  So for example you could (like I did) take the wings from a Mature Nephilim and stick them on a model like Lilith to make her look freakin' awesome.  More than 33% of her by basically every metric, but completely legal and unarguable because it's all Wyrd bits.