Odd question about mixing crew boxes

shahryar

So this is probably a stupid question but I plan to get the wong and ma tucket box when the come out but wanted one of the gremlin boxes to start learning the game, was thinking zoraida, ophelia, or brewmaster(figured somer I'll need to many bayou so wont be a cheap start.)

I am leaning towards the opehlia or zoraida box for the most part but was wondering what stuff from these 4 boxes works well together. I figure I can chuck ophelia's kin in just about anything and it will work but was curious about the other stuff, the wiki never really mentions things like bushwackers, fireflies, lovely assistant and little lass in other factions. And I know trixie bell works great in wong and brewmaster box but wasnt sure bout the others.

yea I know I have been really indecisive but hey being poor and wanting to start the game has made the indecision difficult dagnabit! And at least I settled on a faction XD

I suppose the answer to that, as with everything in Malifaux is "it depends". This isn't a game won in the list selection (like 40k) but in how you use the tools you have.

From what I can tell, Zoraida can use everything in Gremlin faction, and does so very well, but not every Gremlin Master can use what Zoraida does. She's basically the "swampfiend master" with extra options depending on whether she goes Gremlin or Neverborn.

I would say start with Ophelia, or another dedicated Gremlin Master. Wong does look cool.

Ophelia is a very easy master to learn with asher mechanics are simplistic and functional.

She's also hands on enough to not make you think there's something wrong with her in your first few games.

Zoraida and the brew master are very effective but not as well suited to new players and their crews have less synergy outside their box.

Ophelia is definitely the best option for a start. Raphael and Francois are excellent with anyone and Rami and Pere fill certain niches.

Zoraida's box is problematic in that it doesn't offer anything to any other Gremlin Master. Brewie has a bit of a similar problem in that others can use Moon Shinobi but they are quite quirky and you won't be using many.

The "basic" start is Ophelia, a box of Slop Haulers and a box of Bayou Gremlins. But if money is an issue and you are really set on Wong and Mah, Lightning Bugs can substitute for Slop Haulers in a way (and some highly accomplished Gremlin players like Malal favour Bugs over Slop Haulers). In any case, Lightning Bugs are really good and can work well alongside Slop Haulers as well.

Bayou Bushwhackers are a bit overshadowed by other options, unfortunately. They aren't bad but aren't the best the Faction can offer so not all that talked about.

Lovely Assistant and Lil Lass are Totems so only available to their respective Masters (similar to Apprentice Wesley and Young LaCroix) - no other Master can take them.

Do note that you can play Som'er just fine without summoning, if you were interested in him, and you get Lenny who is a great model to have.

Otherwise, I basically agree with wverything already said and will just add that I quite like Moon Shinobi with Mah, as long as you're careful with using her sacrifice ability.

The two crew boxes for Gremlins that have the most cross-over with other crews are the Som'er and Ophelia box sets.  Other than the masters and the totems there is nothing in either of those boxes that are not useful to many other crews.  And some of the main staple models of the faction are in those two boxes (Bayou Gremlins, Francois, Lenny, etc).

I would not ignore the Som'er box so quickly.  I think it is one of the two best starting points in the gremlin faction for new players - with the other box being Ophelia.  In addition, while Som'er can play a very strong summoning game using a lot of Bayou Gremlins (one extra box is often enough) he has a number of abilities that are very strong no matter what models are in his crew.  He can really get good use out of just about anything in the faction.  You don't need to run him with a ton of Bayou Gremlin.  He just happens to be able to make Bayou Gremlins work better than most other gremlin masters and with the right upgrade he can continually summon more each turn.

Ophelia's crew is very nice because for the most part she is pretty self-sufficient and so anything else that is self-sufficient works well in her crew.  Her crew box also comes with a big bunch of great enforcer models and one of the deadliest henchmen in the game.

• Like 1