NOVA Open

Just a clarification after reading the event schedule. It's a $50 registration for a single 5 round tournament?

What Mike also failed to mention is that signing up for multiple events over the weekend also adds in a discount that builds up with the more events you add. It's also more than just a single tourney; it's 4 days of the best gaming you'll find on the east coast, with exemplary terrain, and the chance to meet and play some of the top players in the game, all while meeting and greeting the people who make the game we all love.

What Mike also failed to mention is that signing up for multiple events over the weekend also adds in a discount that builds up with the more events you add. It's also more than just a single tourney; it's 4 days of the best gaming you'll find on the east coast, with exemplary terrain, and the chance to meet and play some of the top players in the game, all while meeting and greeting the people who make the game we all love.

How is it more than just a single tournament, out of curiosity? Unless I'm missing something, you're basically paying $10 to play a single game. I apologize if it sounds like I'm trolling, I'm really not. I'm just trying to understand, that's all. :)

How is it more than just a single tournament, out of curiosity? Unless I'm missing something, you're basically paying $10 to play a single game. I apologize if it sounds like I'm trolling, I'm really not. I'm just trying to understand, that's all. :)

A few things. It's for charity - the NOVA Open partners with sister organization The NOVA Open Charitable Foundation to leverage the global force of gamers to support great causes, primarily Doctors Without Borders, the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, and the Fisher House Foundation. It's Wyrd's first national championships; the head judge is the guy who wrote the game; Aaron and Mason will also be on hand. There's a major vendor area with sweet discounts and hard to find things. There's over 70 fellow Malifaux attendees and over 1,000 fellow gamers. It's on the metro and a short (sub 15 minute) ride to the National Mall. It's a super social event that benefits charity, including a charity lounge (affordable craft cocktails, coffee, snacks, soda, and beer, with all proceeds going to charity) with free chats given by both Wyrd personnel and a wide variety of industry folks (i.e. FFG, PP, etc.) all weekend long. There's everything else to do, from board games to magic tournaments to demos to speed painting competitions at fully-equipped airbrush/paint/etc. stations, and much, much more. Some of the best seminar teachers in the world, including Justin McCoy, Roman Lappatt, and Raffaele Picca, will be giving over 50 seminars. The terrain is also top notch, and was designed with the input of Gibbs (Again, guy who wrote M2E) to be as close to right as we could get it.

Going to a local game store and playing a few rounds is probably similar ONLY in that you're playing Malifaux. Similarities quickly end there.

Also, for whatever it's worth, the price is also literally just set to - we hope - break even. So, on top of all that, we're not profiting off you. Technically, over the past 6 years, we've actually basically paid to give ya'll the time - NOVA's net profit to date is negative $29,000. Which is cool ... we don't complain about it. We just really aren't doing this to overcharge. We go to a lot of lengths to give all of the above.

OH, and we also do some pretty rad stuff ... i.e. the Capital Carnage event will be played in and around nearly to-scale replicas of DC's national monuments. I.E., one of the tables will have a 6.5 foot tall Washington Monument.

Finally - if the only value you get out of going to a convention style event like this, with all kinds of open and organized play activities, meetings with the game makers, etc., is playing the actual games of malifaux ... few conventions will probably feel worth it. Which is totally OK, btw :) They aren't for everyone. But their prices are largely driven by the cost of operations, which - depending on the geographical location - vary. Though I'd hope the price isn't really all that much higher than the equivalent in going out for dinner and a movie, or a sporting event, etc., and might be much cheaper!

• Like 3

Also, for whatever it's worth, the price is also literally just set to - we hope - break even. So, on top of all that, we're not profiting off you. Technically, over the past 6 years, we've actually basically paid to give ya'll the time - NOVA's net profit to date is negative $29,000. Which is cool ... we don't complain about it. We just really aren't doing this to overcharge. We go to a lot of lengths to give all of the above.

A loss of $29,000 is huge! Who is paying for that and how is this sustainable? Forgive my incredulity, but I find it difficult to belief that anyone is willing to eat the cost for the sake of having a gaming con. Perhaps you're including business contributions which are loss-leaders or something?

Sounds like fun though; enjoy the con!

Me and my family. And, I am, and have been. That said, got married this year, bought a house this year, can't keep eating it forever; that said, this year we have our biggest yet (over 1,000 attendees), and we should be good with enough to spare to cover storage/etc. until we open reg again for '16 in Feb '16. We do things very professionally ... whether it's a proper communications rig for all staff members, or fancy gloss guidebooks for attendees, or a million other little things. It's also expensive to build and store the infrastructure. I think we now own over 20,000 pieces of terrain, and that cost dozens of terrain days, food for volunteers on terrain days, beer for volunteers on terrain days, etc. But, crazy as it sounds, my 'payment' has been a lot of people have an absolutely fabulous time year in and year out. Call me crazy!

There's also a staff of over 100 volunteers, each giving anywhere from a few dozen to over 2,000 hours a year each (we have a couple of full time family member volunteers who we couldn't exist without). 

• Like 2