Hungering Darkness Cost

Angus Khan

I did a search, but couldn't find any answer to my question, so I'm posting it here.

After a long hiatus since I played first edition, I am trying to get back into Malifaux.  My friend, who is completely new to the game, bought the Jacob Lynch box to start with.  Upon investigating the rules, it seems like the cost for Hungering Darkness is zero... Is there some M2E rule I'm missing that makes that not true, or is it really a zero cost model with no hiring restrictions. (like the one Viktoria has)

Hungering Darkness seems like way too good of a model to be free... even if it is Rare 1.  Otherwise, why doesn't everyone just toss it in their crew whenever it would be helpful?

I want to believe this is at least hypothetically balanced, but any clarification as to what I'm missing would be greatly appreciated.  :)

He is only sort of great, if I remember from the beta you do not get you catch in a campaign game but that may have changed with the new book. What does make him great IMO is he is worth more than 8 ss and blows most henchmen that 10 ss or less out of the water. He is one reason I made sure to always have a casting model in the campaign, because I knew someone would take him.