Looking for advice in starting Malifaux and Ten Thunders

Muggin

Hello!

My LGS is starting to get into Malifaux 2e and i have some store credit hanging out. I am interested in Ten Thunders and was wondering what would be a good starting investment for the faction to have some options, be competitive and learn the overall game. I have $110 to drop on models. Already have the rulebook. Currently leaning towards Misaki box and then whatever else might be beneficial.

Thoughts? Thanks in advnace for your advise.

I give this advice to anyone who asks this question, regardless of the system.

Buy what you would want to paint, and fits what you style of gameplay you like to have.

I would trust what the posters have posted above, as they are more experienced than I am, if you're looking to be slightly more effective

Misaki is a good choice, my first and most played Master (in M2e) so I have a soft spot for her.

She's easy to pick up mechanically and a lot of fun because of it, not too many hoops to jump through to make an impact.

To round out your choices I'd add;

Yamaziko

Katanaka Snipers

Izamu

Rest is preference. After this I'd be looking at a second crew box to add another flavour, even if you don't use the Master.

Yan Lo - Chiaki is a massive help, if you pick up Toshiro as well you can use the Ashigaru as summons. Both these will open up your strategy/scheme options

Mei Feng - for Kang, just anti undead/construct beast. Railworkers are solid too

Lynch - Illuminated are great support to Misaki, give her something that can stick around

And if happen to be buying from GenCon, you can't go wrong with the Lone Swordsman. Just saying.

Don't think anyone's mentioned him yet, but Fuhatsu wouldn't be a bad addition either. He's not "Last Blossom", but as far as Henchmen go, he's sturdy and pretty powerful. However, the best overall Henchman in TT, IMO is Toshiro. He brings a lot of bonuses to your crew, between his (0) Actions and passive abilities. If you run a lot of Minions, he's a good choice as well.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

6 wounds for an 8ss model, even with armor +2, doesn't really last that long. I've only ever used the samurai with Favor of Jigoku, so I see him as a gun platform mainly. That said, as a gun platform, he's pretty solid. If your opponent has some elite targets, I think I prefer the Katanaka Sniper, but the samurai is probably better in a "crowd control" role. You can usually hit his shoot-again trigger once or twice per turn, so taking things out like Hallow Waifs, Malifaux Rats, Bayou Gremlins, etc can be accomplished pretty efficiently.

Important to keep your Samurai away from those pesky "ignore Armour" models, and hose down any low (5, or less, preferably, for non-Jigoku Samurai) Df models. If you've often been running a Jigoku Samurai it can be easy to forget that their swords can really hurt too.

As far as other stuff goes, 10 Thunder Brothers would be nice if the metals are available, but they might be hard to find or you just might not like Malimetals.