Upcoming Tourney - Learning Colette

Kirby

Hey gang!  I am a recent Arcanist convert coming over from the Outcasts and I'm trying to learn Colette for a tournament in the middle of August.  Here are the schemes/strats for the tournament:

Round 1:  Corner Deployment - Head Hunter; LITS, Bodyguard, Distract, Plant Evidence, Outflank

Round 2:  Standard Deployment - Turf War; LITS, Assassinate, Breakthrough, Power Ritual, Murder Protégé

Round 3:  Flank Deployment - Collect the Bounty; LITS, Protect Territory, Make Them Suffer, Take Prisoner, Bodyguard

It seems like Colette should be a solid candidate for each of these situations. 

The first round bugs me a little in a tournament setting because both Bodyguard and Distract rely on getting to at least the start of Turn 5 which is not really guaranteed.  That leaves LITS, Plant Evidence, and Outflank.  Plant Evidence should be trivial, but Outflank relies on my opponent letting me do it and is easy to deny.  LITS should not be too much of an issue for a Colette crew and Corner Deployment giving a very long line to put it on.

The second round's Power Ritual and Breakthrough seem like they should be easy enough, particularly with a pair of Raptors and Practiced Production on Cassandra.

Round three I'm a little iffy about.  I imagine that you don't get Make Them Suffer points for Prompting a Coryphee or Langston to kill something so either Joss or Cassandra will have to do the deed on that.  However, bringing two henches into a Collect the Bounty game just seems like a bad idea. 

Any suggestions on particular crew members?  I'm planning on having the following available: Colette box, Ramos box, Coryphee, December Acolyte, Silent One, Raptors, Mechanical Rider, and Arcane Effigy.  Anything else I should look into obtaining?

78 views and not one response.  Either I'm way off base and people have no idea how to break the news to me or the above post is full of undisputable gold.  Somehow I doubt either of those are entirely accurate.  :D

Wow.  That's quite a collection if you just got started with Arcanists.  A lot of rare metal models in your list.

Anyway, for round one, I probably would end up going for ALITS, although I'm a big fan of Outflank even if it is a so-so idea in Headhunter.  Remember, an announced Outflank only needs to have one model in the right spot to score 2VP.  The acolyte you have could probably make a play at it by deploying there at the start and then trying to slow down anything that heads that way and drop raptors on anyone who makes a push to engage.  You can also go for a last-second grab by prompting the Mech Rider to walk toward a scoring position (9 inches of total movement), then Revel in Creation up an arachnid who can hustle over there, although the Rider can just double-walk into position at that time, too.  It depends if you have your other scheme on lockdown or not.  (Please note that, while I may suggest it, I do not endorse any advice (even from myself) that involves combining Colette and the Mechanical Rider.  We're better than that.  Let the Ressers be the filthy ones.)

For the second round, you will be able to drop five markers exactly with the Practiced Production/Raptor combo, and only four of those can be upfield.  Also, you will need to pray that your opponent does not have guns/snipers or fast redeployment/engagement.  Df 6 will only get those birds so far, and you will need to activate Cassandra first (not a terrible thing) before they can take to the sky.  It also puts a gigantic target on Cassandra, which can minimize her effectiveness if you actually need to prioritize her survival.  You have Langston, so Assassinate and Murder Protégé are definitely on the table.  Also, consider Mercenaries, who Colette likes just as much as Arcanists (you said you play Outcasts).  Sure, you can have Howard for his point cost, but you can have Howard and a Strongarm Suit, too.  Taelor also becomes noticeably better in a Colette list (surprise!).

Round three.  Why do you think it's bad to bring multiple henchmen?  Colette can manufacture SS, which your henchies can use to prevent damage.  Joss is honestly a really solid pick here, as far as invincibility is concerned (standard Leveticus exception).  Take Prisoner with high mobility models is also great with prompt.  Leave them alone as long as you can, give your enemy no idea what you're doing then, BAM!, last round prompt someone into engagement with them after they've activated.  This is probably your best matchup in terms of schemes and strategies.  Also, again, remember your mercenaries.  If your heart is set on Make Them Suffer, consider Taelor or Ama no Zako if you've got them.  Just remember that if you want to run Bodyguard, you should definitely bring a Silent One, as healing is not particularly native to a Colette list.

Thankfully the models shouldn't be too bad, and I have a pretty solid Outcast collection so far. The above is what I am looking to get by middle of August.  Mechanical Rider and the Colette box will be out at GenCon; I'll be using the sword/hammer mannequins from the Dark Carnival set as my Coryphee.  My local henchwoman that's running the tourney has a spare Silent One in case the plastics aren't released by then.

I have definitely heard that the Mechanical Rider + Colette is very, very filthy.  On the other hand, I also play Leveticus and my main opponent is a Nicodem lover.  The filth is strong in this one.  :D

I honestly hadn't thought of Taelor with Colette; thank you for that!  I've tried Taelor in lists with the Viktorias and Tara but she never quite measured up to expectation or alternatives.  Adding Prompt to the mix seems like it could really turn her on and make the slow walk speed and required early activation (if you want Welcome to Malifaux! to do anything) not nearly as much of a detriment.

Good point about damage prevention and manufacturing soul stones.  I totally forgot about that upgrade.  The big concern was with the three point bounty tag on their heads, but between damage prevention and a little healing they should be ok. Take Prisoner always bugs me a little because it relies on my opponent so much.  The target has to be alive, away from other enemy models, and engaged with one of mine.  There again, I'm not used to the speed and movement of a Colette list either, so that's something I hadn't thought too hard on.

(Please note that, while I may suggest it, I do not endorse any advice (even from myself) that involves combining Colette and the Mechanical Rider. We're better than that. Let the Ressers be the filthy ones.)

Is there some combo between the two that makes them super good? Or is it just in general Mech Rider is independently really good, Colette is independently really good, let's not mix the two?

Also don't be afraid to bring Joss even against Levi, just make sure you keep him at least somewhat near cover, and give him Warding Runes. Levi will need to ensure a suit every time he shoots Joss, and Joss has a good WP and can use SS prevention against the 3-4 damage he will be taking per shot. If he's taking 2 turns to kill Joss, he's not killing 2 models and summoning abominations off of them.

Especially with Colette, Joss's Arc Axe is perfect for bringing down the Ashen Core, as well as any of the Armor +2 models Outcasts can bring (Laz, StrongArm)

It's more the Mech Rider is independently amazing and then when you add in Prompt to get free movement, attacks, scheme markers, and cards and given what all Colette crews do with the oodles of scheme markers it gets a little silly and often overwhelming for many opponents that don't have mass marker removal.

Here is often my problem with Colette and perhaps this will help the OP too. I often find its very difficult to fit in everything that Colette is amazing with in one list. I mean the costly models-that-she-excels-with list alone is huge (Mech Rider, Howard, Captain, Myranda, Duet, Acolytes, Cassandra) but she also wants low cost minions to benefit from her (0) interact aura. I can never fit everything I want because everything is so good haha

BTW Kirb, Coryphee will be available at GenCon at $18/box. You'll just need 2 sets or magnets if you want a Duet. I dunno if the TO will definitely allow the Mannequins from Dark Carnival as Coryphee proxies because of that. I know my friend is getting into Arcanists with Raspy and Colette and she was advised to get Coryphee. They are quite solid models. :D

Cheers!

~Lil Kalki

• 2 weeks later...

Just recently won a tournament where the last game was Collect the Bounty. My crew was as follows:

Colette with Cabaret Choreography and Practiced Production

2 Coryphee

2 Performers

2 Mannequins

3 Raptors

Mobile Toolkit

I took Breakthrough and Plant Evidence, both announced and won 8-2.

Masses of Peons in CtB are crazy good as they can score for you but give nothing away when they die. I'd probably take LITS and Protect Territory from the Scheme Pool you posted but I'd also be tempted to take the other version of this crew which swaps out the Performers for the Mech Rider. I'd then take Bodyguard on that and use it to summon more Mannequins and Electrical Creations (which auto-explode when they activate).

*Disclaimer* I've yet to lose a CtB game with either of these builds and there is currently some discussion as to whether this is potentially a NPE for people.