Master "Types"

Otylia

Two can play the nonsense reference game. Masters in relation to boners:

Lady J - Either you go all in at once or risk losing it half way never utiziling it

Perdita: So hard it's not even fair in comparison. You will ruin all others.

Sonnia: Well protected, safe, yet devastating. Little chance of backfiring.

Hoffman: Not even a small tingle.

Lucius: The kind you just want to do something wrong with it.

McCabe: It's the way you use it, not the size.

Nicodem: Raging, rigorous, covers all grounds.

Seamus: Raging, Everlasting, Nonstop

McMourning: Raging, Everlasting, nonstop

Kirai: It just won't go away to a point you're scared how long it can last on the table.

Molly: Spills stuff all around. Accident high.

Yan Lo: Like a turtle pulling it's head in.

Tara: Repetitive and takes finesse to utilize correctly.

Rasputina: Well protected, punctual.

Ramos: Just when you think it goes down it pops back up and just won't quit. Raging.

Marcus: Ferocious, needs to get in close contact.

Colette: The kind that is just wrong and you know it, utilizing it you will have no friends afterwards.

Kaeris: Well it burns, so it can't be a good thing.

Mei Feng: Not even a tingle. You can slap it in the face of the opposing person and that's about it.

Ironsides: Like a turtle pulling it's head in.

Lilith: Unstoppable, raging, ferocious. Can't be used wrong. Covers all grounds.

Pandora: You know you ain't packing enough on fair ground so mind games it is.

Zoraida: Works on command. Great skill to have.

Dreamer: So wrong you kinda like it.

Collodi: Nothing good can come out of utilizing it. No friends, no call backs.

Lynch: Like a freight train but you need to trick people in front of that train.

Viktoria: Utter destruction from which the opposing person never bounces back.

Von Schill: bald, lasts long, does nothing to either one.

Leveticus: Read Collodi. Except old and wrinkled.

Hamelin: Read von Schill but with lots of hair.

Misaki: Fast, gets the job done, one sided.

Jack Daw: Just weird and not enjoyable to either one.

Shenglong: Covers all grounds, lots of pushing.

Somer: So wrong you kinda like it.

Ophelia: Read Somer but add guilt.

Mah: unknown to most, never documented.

Brewmaster: Intoxicated, half on, not enjoyable at either one of the parties.

Wong: Exploding, double up on defense.

Ulix: Just.. No. Let it go, don't use it, never think about it again.

• Like 7

I like the Aggro/Control/Support model, but I'm curious if it needs to be adjusted a bit more for the game.  

Summoning is definitely the square peg, simply because models are such a versatile thing to put on the table that the act of creating more of them is hard to quantify.  It probably honestly depends on the summoner in question though, as Yan Lo is definitely more of a Support Summoner (it's essentially a heal) while Ramos falls more under Control by summoning models who largely interfere with the opponent's actions.  Movement tricks can also be a little hard to peg down.  Again, it problem comes down to "move friendly" > Support, "move enemy" > Control, but the difference can be very slim at times.

In any case, it's also important to remember that nearly every Master falls into a Primary/Secondary of the above.  I like to mark the primary as "what do I spend AP on?" and the secondary as either passive skills or things that get used in a limited capacity.  There's also probably value in just giving a Master a straight up rating in each, but you lose the value of using these descriptively.

Yeah, if I had to break down Masters by type, I'd probably make "Summoner" a type of its own, and list each of them in a primary/secondary paradigm.  So, you would have a bunch of Summoner/Support (or Support/Summoner), but also stuff like Damage/Summoner (Seamus, Leveticus, Sonnia...), or even Mobility/Summoner (this is probably what I'd say about Kaeris, though she's hard to pin down).

As alluded to above, I certainly think that Mobility gets its own category, for Masters like Shenlong which clearly focus on that above all else.  The MMOs we're getting out terms from seldom have fights which can be won by movement without any bloodshed, but Malifaux has been known to do that.  One might argue instead for a more general "Scheme" title, separating Lucius and Colette (et. al) from the rest of the Support crowd.

Sadly, I do not yet have enough experience to make a comprehensive list.