Requirements for stat cards

Hi there,

I'm just looking to get back into malifaux after briefly playing with 1.5.

From what I've read I can still use my old figures (just a Ramos starter) by buying the stat cards. I'd like to add another of the old style arachnids which I've found at a store but I'm conscious they will come with the old cards and pack to buy doesn't seem to have enough to field either 3 swarms or 9 singles.

Do you need to have a card for each individual (and so need 2 packs) or is it really just a reference?

Thanks for the info. James

I'm pretty sure for official Gaining Grounds stuff, you need a card for each model you intend to use (maybe that's just policy for some tournaments?).  But you can also photocopy them or from the book once you own them, so even if you don't have enough shiny, pretty cards, you can still have enough cards with just the arsenal deck and a few card sleeves (or just use a pencil).  For casual play, though, what Ferossa said.

• Like 1

I may try that, to be honest I'm not a fan of marking cards, even if they are sleeved. Is that considered acceptable generally or is it more of an informal alternative?

On a different note, but related to my efforts to turn the old box into a usable crew now. Is there any way to get hold of Joss outside of the Ramos box now. Since I have pretty much everything in the box I'd rather not get it but Joss does seem a useful addition.

I may try that, to be honest I'm not a fan of marking cards, even if they are sleeved. Is that considered acceptable generally or is it more of an informal alternative?

I have never met/heard of anyone having anything against it.

On a different note, but related to my efforts to turn the old box into a usable crew now. Is there any way to get hold of Joss outside of the Ramos box now. Since I have pretty much everything in the box I'd rather not get it but Joss does seem a useful addition.

Joss is useful but I wouldn't consider him mandatory or anything.

I generally was of that opinion but I've given in.

The thing about dice is that they can be knocked over, get messy when more than 6 wounds are involved, it can be unclear which model they're associated with, they can get left behind when the model moves and players may have a different preference about what they signify.

Cards allow you to write conditions and other misc. stuff on them as well. Far handier.

• Like 1

Lately I've found that I keep finding out at the end of games that my opponent had models which were practically dead, but I didn't realise because I couldn't see their cards from my side of the table. Dice and markers on the table can clutter things up or get mixed around, but you can also jumble up which card is which when they all look the same (or don't look anything like your model), so it's kind of a moot point. A note-pad is handier than cards if you do a lot of summoning, but I think putting wound markers beside your models is the best way of making things clear for your opponent.

• Like 1

I'm in a similar situation as I am returning to the game after a couple of years. I have 2 old Teddys which used to be Rare 1 but now have no restriction on numbers, and don't want to buy more than one arsenal deck just for the one extra card. Using one card for the rules and then their old laminated card for wounds might work, but it's a shame there isn't a way to buy extra cards, or download them like there used to be.

To play the game you need:

Models

Stat cards

rulebook

3x3 table

deck of cards

terrain

tape measure

tokens

dry erase marker to mark wounds

Playing in a friendly game "with friends" you can sneak on model proxy and not having all the exact cards

When you go to a tournament you should have all the items I listed above

Whilst I doubt I would go to any tournaments, I'd prefer to be in the "right" habits so to speak so if that's the way it is I suppose multiples of the Arsenal boxes is the only way.

The thing that caused a little confusion was in the Gaining Grounds download which includes a section stating the cards can be photocopied from the rule book. At present I only have the small rulebook so that wouldn't help a great deal for the arachnids but I'd rather avoid buying 2 extra arsenal decks for the sake of 8 cards.

Either way, appreciate the the feedback from experienced players. Thanks. 

You can always find local gamers that buy the arsenal deck for the upgrades but have no use for the duplicate cards/ also all the new swarms + ramos come with multiple duplicate cards. Try to niff them out, its easier then buying multiple arsenal decks.

The blurb for photocopy stats is for models that you have a conversion (not proxy) and has not been released yet.

Also don't use dice, its not a dice game, please.

How tiny?  I have some that are 12mm, but as markers I would like to get something a tad bit smaller--just wondering what is out there.

I believe they are 6mm. You can easily find a nice lot of tiny dice in various colours for really cheap. Something like this, for example:

http://www.dx.com/p/colorful-6mm-super-mini-gaming-dice-50-pack-32790

When you go to a tournament you should have all the items I listed above

When you go to an official tournament in the US.

You can always find local gamers that buy the arsenal deck for the upgrades

No you can't.

Your viewpoint is extremely skewed by your vicinity to a huge hub of Faux-players.

Also don't use dice, its not a dice game, please.

:rolleyes:

How tiny?  I have some that are 12mm, but as markers I would like to get something a tad bit smaller--just wondering what is out there.

I believe they are 6mm. You can easily find a nice lot of tiny dice in various colours for really cheap. Something like this, for example:

http://www.dx.com/p/colorful-6mm-super-mini-gaming-dice-50-pack-32790

Thanks, I'll check it out.