Starting a Nicodem crew

New player here, I'm planning on making Nicodem my first master and I was wondering if anyone had any pointers about what models I should pick up in addition to his Open Graves box? I really like Bete Noir but besides her I'm unsure where to go from here. I'm planning on running everything from his starter box if that helps. Also I wasn't sure if this is the most appropriate place for this thread or the New Player Lounge, so I erred on the side of my fellow Resurrectionists, sorry if that was incorrect. Thanks in advance  :)

Have you found the Wiki yet?

Nicodem likes all the undead models, so you cannot really go wrong with anything from the Resser faction. I would advise the Seamus crew box or the McMourning crew box (or both). The included Henchmen and Minions work really well with Nicodem, and you shouldn't ever buy a a box of Minions if said Minions are included in a Master box set. Ever.

Hanged are the nastiest thing Nicodem can summon, and a re rightly feared by a lot of enemies.

The other model to consider is Izamu the Armor: A big beater with lots of staying power if you want to hold a zone.

Welcome to Malifaux!

• Like 2

Have you found the Wiki yet?

Nicodem likes all the undead models, so you cannot really go wrong with anything from the Resser faction. I would advise the Seamus crew box or the McMourning crew box (or both). The included Henchmen and Minions work really well with Nicodem, and you shouldn't ever buy a a box of Minions if said Minions are included in a Master box set. Ever.

Hanged are the nastiest thing Nicodem can summon, and a re rightly feared by a lot of enemies.

The other model to consider is Izamu the Armor: A big beater with lots of staying power if you want to hold a zone.

Welcome to Malifaux!

Yea I agree with this. You definitely want some scheme runners too. Canine remains I think come in their own boxes, Crooligans are coming in the upcoming Molly box, and Necropunks have their own box coming out soon as well. They have their pros and cons which you can read about on "Pull My Finger".

• Like 1

Thanks to both of y'all! I have found the wiki, it's been really helpful in selecting my starting master and looking into expansion options. Getting master boxes sounds like solid advice, I like the McMourning box so I'll look into picking that one up.

Should I look into putting the Hanged into my starting crew or try to summon them throughout the game?

Izamu seems pretty cool so I'll have to look into picking one of him up as well. 

Necropunks will go nicely with my Punk Zombies and look cool to boot so they sound like a good runner, thanks!. 

The Hanged are really good summons but I very rarely hire them into the crew.  I find that Bete doesn't work that well in a Nicodem crew.  You can't summon her because she's not a Minion and you usually want to keep a 10+ card in your hand for her Bury to avoid her dying and that's a card that Nico could be using to summon something else.  Izamu is really good in a Nico crew because you can hand out Fast like candy which helps with his slow speed and if you take the Graveyard Spirit you can give him armour +4 which combined with Nico's healing makes him very difficult to get rid of.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned as a purchase yet is the University of Transmortis set.  The Valedictorian is a great Hench(wo)man and the Iron Zombies make really good Swiss Army Knife summons as you can always have the one that is most effective for the opposition you are facing.

Check out this thread too.

• Like 2

The Hanged are really good summons but I very rarely hire them into the crew.  I find that Bete doesn't work that well in a Nicodem crew.  You can't summon her because she's not a Minion and you usually want to keep a 10+ card in your hand for her Bury to avoid her dying and that's a card that Nico could be using to summon something else.  Izamu is really good in a Nico crew because you can hand out Fast like candy which helps with his slow speed and if you take the Graveyard Spirit you can give him armour +4 which combined with Nico's healing makes him very difficult to get rid of.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned as a purchase yet is the University of Transmortis set.  The Valedictorian is a great Hench(wo)man and the Iron Zombies make really good Swiss Army Knife summons as you can always have the one that is most effective for the opposition you are facing.

Check out this thread too.

Thanks, that's really helpful. I like the Hanged models too so I'll be sure to get a box to summon up. I've been on the fence about Izamu but after hearing from y'all I think I'll give him a chance. 

Glad to hear about the University, my store is gonna be getting one in soon so I think I'll be picking that up too eventually, the Students look like fun targets to summon. Thanks for the link too. Y'all have been a great help!

And of course you've picked the best faction!  The only thing you need to be careful of with the Izamu trick is things that can ignore armour.  First thing that I ask my opponent is if they have anything that can ignore armour and make sure that you target that model first and get rid of it!  Although he can heal he has a low Df and relatively low wound count for his SS cost so he can go down easily.  Also his heal is a (1) action and if possible you want to be using all your AP for smashing face!

If you're just getting into the game I'd actually suggest playing some games with Seamus first if you're going to pick that box up.  He's a little easier to use which is good when learning the game but still complex enough to continue using once you're more experienced.  As a summoner Nicodem requires learning how to manage your resources (namely cards and SS) effectively in a different way to a non-summoning Master.

• Like 1

My usual Summoning Nicodem core is:

Mortimer with Corpse Bloat.

Izamu (usually decaying aura).

Graveyard Spirit.

Nurse.

And then season to schemes. Summoned models that I like to use are Punk Zombies, Shikomes, Hanged are good if you want to utterly destroy your enemies.

But the best thing is you can summon whatever you need. Bad thing is, you end up owning the whole faction. But then again, it's the best faction in Malifaux. ;)

• Like 2

If you're just getting into the game I'd actually suggest playing some games with Seamus first if you're going to pick that box up.  He's a little easier to use which is good when learning the game but still complex enough to continue using once you're more experienced.  As a summoner Nicodem requires learning how to manage your resources (namely cards and SS) effectively in a different way to a non-summoning Master.

Fortunately I've picked up the arsenal box and my first few games are going to be proxied while we're waiting for our models to get in, so playing a few games with Seamus shouldn't be a problem. My opponent is still figuring out what master he's gonna go with so he won't mind me trying out a different build. 

But the best thing is you can summon whatever you need. Bad thing is, you end up owning the whole faction. But then again, it's the best faction in Malifaux. ;)

Yeah, one could do worse than owning all the models for the Ressers  :). Long term I hope to end up with most of the models in the faction to deepen my summoning options, so I'm pretty excited about how flexible Nico's summoning options are. 

• Like 1

Fortunately I've picked up the arsenal box and my first few games are going to be proxied while we're waiting for our models to get in, so playing a few games with Seamus shouldn't be a problem. My opponent is still figuring out what master he's gonna go with so he won't mind me trying out a different build. 

Yeah, one could do worse than owning all the models for the Ressers  :). Long term I hope to end up with most of the models in the faction to deepen my summoning options, so I'm pretty excited about how flexible Nico's summoning options are. 

Any idea what your opponent is going to be running?  Proxying is always a good idea while you get a feel for the game.

Another quick word on summoning and starting - often people like to play smaller games to begin with (usually 25-35SS) but summoners become quite unbalanced at this level and you only really want to play them in 50SS.  Your opponent is going to get the wrong idea of how powerful summoners are and is likely to be frustrated in smaller games!

It tends to pay to have a lot of options in the faction anyway, especially as it allows you to branch out into different Masters and have the right tools for the job, but Nico loves his choices!  Check out the summoning cards here too.  They're useful to use in game but also gives you a handy list of everything that Nico can summon which can help with prioritising purchases!

Favorit beatsticks for ressers are

Izamu, 50mm base, 3" melee range and can both take and deal damage. ohh and he can heal!

Valedictorian, 50mm, 3" melee range and is fast and have flurry! 

Betê Noire, the lady that never dies

Mortimer (Nico box), Awesome henchmen, can dig for corpse markers and he has a shovel that can realy kill stuff in close combat

Sebastian (McMourning Box) Likes Poison, not ideal henchmen for Nico, atleast not early on

Sybelle (Seamus box). Buffs Rotten Belles and can realy help forcing oponent. Can take a beating, and can deal pain

Minions

Punk Zombies (in Nico box), Hard to kill, Hard to wound, Mi 6, Flurry and can be summoned for a knight

Crooligans (wait for Molly box). Awesome for anything that has to do with schemes, especialy distract!

Hanged, always scary :P and they can realy hit hard

Rotten Belles (Seamus box) are awesome, they can force oponent models to come to you at long range

Nurse (McMourning box) are nice suport model, but not my favorit with Nicodem

Flesh Constuct (McMourning box), Large pile of wounds that can swallow things whole

K-9 (McMourning box) Fast zombie dogs that reduce DF and if you have crows to spare (wich you will never have) they can dig up corpse markers. Fast!

Mindless Zombies. OK, not a minion (yet), but can work nice to move "Corpse markers" up the field. and as they are undead, they can help you get cards when you sacrifice them. You can always summon bigger zombies from them as they are corpse markers and a zombie at the same time

Nicodem is not easy to kill, and in my opinion works best if he moves up a bit. Use one AP to walk him 2 first turns if you can, or use a rotten belle to lure him up, to save his own AP for other stuff. He can hand out fast and slow, he can heal undead models and he can ress. He is a supporting master that can summon stuff depending on what you need. I try to have a big soulestone cash (6 or 7 stones) when I play him, as you very often need to stone for crows

• Like 1

Any idea what your opponent is going to be running?  Proxying is always a good idea while you get a feel for the game.

He's looking into Guild and Arcanists at the moment, he likes shooting a lot so I have a feeling he'll end up with a Guild crew. He plays Wood Elves in WHFB if that tells you anything. 

Another quick word on summoning and starting - often people like to play smaller games to begin with (usually 25-35SS) but summoners become quite unbalanced at this level and you only really want to play them in 50SS.  Your opponent is going to get the wrong idea of how powerful summoners are and is likely to be frustrated in smaller games!

Cool, all the more reason to run Seamus for a bit then, and that'll give me some time to pick up my models. 

It tends to pay to have a lot of options in the faction anyway, especially as it allows you to branch out into different Masters and have the right tools for the job, but Nico loves his choices!  Check out the summoning cards here too.  They're useful to use in game but also gives you a handy list of everything that Nico can summon which can help with prioritising purchases!

Thanks for the link! I found those a little while ago but forgot to save them, I won't be making that mistake again. 

Nicodem is not easy to kill, and in my opinion works best if he moves up a bit. Use one AP to walk him 2 first turns if you can, or use a rotten belle to lure him up, to save his own AP for other stuff. He can hand out fast and slow, he can heal undead models and he can ress. He is a supporting master that can summon stuff depending on what you need. I try to have a big soulestone cash (6 or 7 stones) when I play him, as you very often need to stone for crows

Thanks for the suggestions, especially the strategy tips at the end there. The model-by-model synopsis is appreciated as well  :)

He's looking into Guild and Arcanists at the moment, he likes shooting a lot so I have a feeling he'll end up with a Guild crew. He plays Wood Elves in WHFB if that tells you anything. 

You'll probably get some straightforward matchups then which will make the game easier to learn.

Then (and in general) you should think about terrain. Lots of it. Your next purchases might very well best be spent on terrain.

• Like 2

Then (and in general) you should think about terrain. Lots of it. Your next purchases might very well best be spent on terrain.

Fortunately my LGS has lots of terrain for use so that's not an  issue at the moment, and I'm working on learning how to make my own as well. 

• Like 1