Closed Gen Con 2015 Volunteer Call Out

Justin

We are looking for volunteers to help us out at Gen Con 2015!

Keep in mind, if you want to help us, there will be politeness/interaction rules and hygiene rules - this is just basic stuff.

If you’re interested, please email Justin@wyrd-games.net with the exact title “Gen Con 2015 Volunteer” and include the following information:

About You
• Name
• Email
• Email used in Gen Con registration system
• Forum Name
• Volunteer Slot Request
• Which Wyrd games you are familiar with (Malifaux, Through the Breach, Puppet Wars, Evil Baby Orphanage, Showdown, Kings of Artifice, or Jetpack Unicorn)
• Day/Time Slot Desired - Exhibit Hall (Malifaux or Board Games) or Events Hall (Malifaux demos OR Board Game support)
Exhibit Hall

• Shirt size

You should know all about Malifaux and at least one of Wyrd’s other games - rules, gameplay, scenarios, factions, and at least a basic knowledge of Crew characteristics to help explain the differences and determine what appeals to a particular player's style. This includes being able to make product recommendations. You should also have at least a basic knowledge of the upcomingMalifaux releases - miniatures and rules. We will be running board game demos as well as Malifaux demos, so you should be prepared to demo any of our games (we will be available to help teach you about any of our board games you are unfamiliar with).

We will provide all necessary demo pieces. (Note that you will not be demoing with full Crews here because playing a full game is not the goal - people are just getting introduced to the game with these demos.)

Th 9 am - 2 pm
Th 2 pm - 7 pm
Fr 9 am - 2 pm
Fr 2 pm - 7 pm
Sa 9 am - 2 pm
Sa 2 pm - 7 pm
Su 9 am - 2 pm
Su 2 pm - 6 pm (pack up)

Events Hall
Wyrd will have a dedicated space in the gaming hall. You need knowledge of Malifaux and at least one other Wyrd game (Malifaux, Puppet Wars, Evil Baby Orphanage, Showdown, Kings of Artifice, and Jetpack Unicorn ) and be able to explain the products, play games, and observe demo etiquette (let the other guy win). We will provide terrain and all necessary game pieces.

Th 9 am - 2 pm
Th 2 pm - 7 pm
Th 7 pm - midnight
Fr 9 am - 2 pm
Fr 2 pm - 7 pm
Fr 7 pm - midnight
Sa 9 am - 2 pm
Sa 2 pm - 7 pm
Sa 7 pm - midnight
Su 9 am - 2 pm
Su 2 pm - 5 pm (pack up)

Gen Con 2015 - Volunteer Compensation
What you get..
everyone = t-shirt
1 shift = $25 Booth Credit (BC)
2 shifts = $50 BC
3 shifts = $75 BC & GM badge
4 shifts = $125 BC & GM badge
5+ shifts = more booth credit

You will receive Booth Credit after each shift completed.

The badge will be a GM badge. If you have already purchased your badge, there is a process for refunding your original purchase once you are assigned a GM badge. (no service charge)

The last day to contact me to volunteer will be July 15th - any volunteers I get after 11:59pm PST on 7-15-15 will not be considered. If you have emailed me I will get back to you as soon as I can. :)
  • Like 5

So, I have a couple of questions as a near-total newcomer to the convention scene (the only cons I've demoed for were the ones hosted at my college):

As someone who is not familiar with the GenCon badge system, how does a GM Badge work? In the respect that it's a convention badge, does it cost less to purchase than a typical badge? And in terms of hotel accommodations, do GM Badge-holders get any sort of discounts (I ask because I am looking on GenCon's page re: GM deadlines and such, and it says that the GMs need to reserve their rooms by a certain date)? Besides the proper etiquette and decorum that a GM should demonstrate when demoing a game, is there anything else I need to know before committing possibly 3+ shifts to this company?

I have yet to attend GenCon, but I have a fairly-large amount of Malifaux demos under my belt (namely M2E, nowadays, of course). I have very limited experience with EBO (not enough to say I could demo it with any sort of success). If all goes well, I would plan to volunteer in the Exhibit Hall - should I go for it, or should I nix the idea? Presently I also do not know if I will be attending GenCon, but as I have not sent out any letters yet, hypothetically, if I were going, should I demo? (And yes, I am a Henchman.)

Thank you!

~Lil Kalki

So, I have a couple of questions as a near-total newcomer to the convention scene (the only cons I've demoed for were the ones hosted at my college):

As someone who is not familiar with the GenCon badge system, how does a GM Badge work? In the respect that it's a convention badge, does it cost less to purchase than a typical badge? And in terms of hotel accommodations, do GM Badge-holders get any sort of discounts (I ask because I am looking on GenCon's page re: GM deadlines and such, and it says that the GMs need to reserve their rooms by a certain date)? Besides the proper etiquette and decorum that a GM should demonstrate when demoing a game, is there anything else I need to know before committing possibly 3+ shifts to this company?

I cannot speak to the specifics of how a GM badge differs from a normal badge other than it does get you some special access to certain things not available to normal badges (usually preview stuff and early entry for some things). Currently badge early registration is going on, so badge prices are lower than they will be later (not exactly sure when the prices go up, but I think it's in late May or June). If you are purchasing a normal badge, a 4 day badge costs $80 currently and one day badges cost $45 each, so if you'll be there for two days, might as well get the badge for the full 4 days.

Hotels are a little bit more complicated. Registration for the Gen Con hotel block has already gone live, which means it is already completely booked up. There are plenty of hotels in the Indy area, I've never bothered with trying to get in on the hotel block as I always stay with my in-laws when I go to Gen Con so I can't specifically say what the difference is between in-block and out of block rooms.

Since you have never been to Gen Con, I must say this now--you need to go to Gen Con! With no exaggeration I can say that I plan my year around this convention.  I recommend getting a few friends to make the pilgrimage together so that you can split the cost of the hotel room (making it a much more economical proposition). The hotel room you book can be cheap--you're not going to be spending much time there, gaming is going on 24 hours a day for the entire run of the con.

A lot of the other questions you have can be answered at the Gen Con website. I hope to see you there!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just thought this might be the best place to check. I sent through my details a few weeks ago, and haven't heard anything back yet. I'm guessing we won't know if we've been confirmed to be volunteering until closer to the date that the events are finalised? 

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am going to Gencon this year and I noticed a VIG role playing event. (RPG1582967 - Legacy of Darkness.)  There is no Role Playing System just the number 1. Since it's only a 2 hour run, I was wondering if this is like a one shot set in Through the Breach and is it set in that game or another game?

I am asking because I really want to try Through the Breach as well as talk a couple of friends into joining me. So knowing the system/world will help me sell my friends on getting tickets.

I got the books thru Kickstarter, but I haven't had time to read anything yet but if this event is connected it'd kill 2 birds for me. Setting up this trip and getting in some much needed RPG'ing and trying out the game with other people.