Starting out with Jakob Lynch - advice on future purchases

BloodBought

So as the title states, I'm just getting started with Jakob Lynch's Dark Debts box. I've yet to get a game in yet but I already have Beckoners and Depleted on order as I understand they are nearly universally useful with him. I'm also plannin to pick up bother Neverborn Crew box to supplement my options but am having trouble deciding what. I like the look of Lilith, Zoraida, and Pandora's boxes but am unsure which ones will have the best overlap and usability with Lynch. Right now I'm sorta leaning towards Zoraida, for Silurids and Bad Juju, but am still unsure if I'm going the right direction here.

That's hard to say. Neverborn are a faction where most models work reasonably well outside their thematic crew and can hold their own just fine. If you want another box, I'd probably go with Lilith. Tots are superb Scheme runners that synergize well with Lynch himself, but are so cheap that they don't reduce the Brilliance shenanigans of his crew much.

On the other hand, Illuminated and Depleted are so generally useful that you cannot go wrong with another master.

In the best things to add to a Lynch crew after the initial crew box are

1. Terror Tots (Seriously these guys are sickening with Lynch, I'd get the Lilith box instead of the stand alone box though)

2. Beckoners (These guys rock with Lynch)

3. Mr Graves & Mr Tannen (Thematic, useful as hell and work well with many other masters)

4. Depleted (Coz you have a lot of the other theme stuff, these guys are cheap, tough and great for their cost)

5. Stitched Together (Just because they are awesome, also... they will complete your Darkened Collection :D)

But from a Lynch perspective. He doesn't really want anything from Pandora. :P

True. Well, my Lynch opponent includes a Sorrow from time to time.

True, Lynch and Lilith get stuff from each other that works well. 

Pandora seems to team up with Dreamer better than most of the other Neverborn masters. 

Yeah, and Dreamer and Lynch have some great overlaps as well. Those three might make a great threesome.

:huh:

brain_bleach2_4427.jpg

I play Lynch a fair amount, and I think that either the Zoraida or Lilith sets would be good choices. Basically you are after them for either Silurids or Tots, because they are fantastic scheme runners. I think Silurids are the more useful of the two, personally, because their Leap ability lets you move without spending AP. Certain schemes and strategies require a 2 AP interact, so that ability to move and still have both AP left is gold. But Tots with the Ace of Masks are reliably, stupidly, fast. 

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the input guys.  I'm prolly going to stick with my initial gut and go with the Zoraida box.  I like the look of the models (aside from Zoraida herself, but she just kinda creeps me out lol) and it sounds like the Silurids will still give me some solid scheme runners (which would have been the only reason for wanting Tots as well).  I'm sure I'll eventually end up with boxes for most of the Neverborn masters aside from possibly Lucius just because I love the whole feel of dark things that should've been left undisturbed that they give off.

My biggest problem is that there are too many models that appeal to me in the Malifaux line! >.<  Priorities... priorities.... >.>

• Like 3

Soon it's a "few" more masters other than Neverborn, then it's factions and then it's all your money gone. :P I started off with Lynch, now I have all the Rezzers, most of the Guild, some Outcasts, some Arcanists (more to come), most of Ten Thunders, a lot of Gremlins and the least Neverborn but still quite some from there as well.. :P 

Begins??  More like the addiction grows....

See... I started innocently enough with the Reaper Bones Kickstarter....

Then I bought some painting starter kits while waiting for my Bones... cause I figured... might as well learn while waiting!

Then I bought a Hordes battlebox because I liked the models...

Now I have some 200 points of both Skorne and Trolls for Warmahordes....

And now I'm getting into Malifaux...

Pretty sure I'm already in pretty deep at this point lol >.>

Brilliance type models problem is they are not good scheme runners, So people recommend scheme runners like Terror Tots or Silurids for Lynch.

And Lucius works good with Brilliance type Minions, so I think you can make enjoyable Lucius Crew by Combining Brilliance Minions with Silurids.    

If you think Lucius need more things, Buy Candy and/or Guild Guardsman type Models.

Aaaah good! You're getting into the Lynch spirit already. Soon we will have another Depleted on our hands!  :D

Not yet. But I'm sure that We have a new Illuminated now. :)

I'm late to this conversation, and you've already received sound advise (and material for your next therapy session thanks to MasterDisaster :D ), but I'll reiterate what others have said as Lynch is one of my favorite Neverborn masters.

Lynch's main box really is lacking in decent scheme runners, as previously stated. The Silurids from Zoraida's box are all around wonderful additions to any Neverborn crew, Lynch included, as they can get a lot of work done, and Lilith + the Swamp fiends from Zoraida's box is WONDERFUL as well...but that's a different topic.

That said, I usually prefer the Terror Tots from Lilith's box set to Silurids most of the time with Lynch's crew for a couple reasons. The first is for the obvious Ace in the Hole interaction with Lynch. Once you get an Ace of Masks in your hand and can recycle cheating it in to use as fuel for Sprinting these guys around, they become meth fueled marathon runners. The second is cost in Soul Stones. While I love Silurids and normally will pay for their 7SS cost without hesitation most of the time, in a Lynch crew that is already crammed full of 7SS minions (Illuminated, Beckoners, potentially Doppelganger or 6SS Stitched etc) another couple of 7SS minions start to break the bank if you are still trying to keep some of the rest in there. Meanwhile, the 4SS Terror Tots come in very handy. Cheap to buy, good toughness, and they naturally interact well with Lynch's Ace ability. Yes please and thank you. :)

As for the rest of the Neverborn masters and combinations of who can interact well with Lynch's Crew and vice versa, my answer is any of them can make use of the Illuminated quite well, mainly because the Illuminated are one of the most solid 7SS minions in the game. And while Lynch can use any of the other crew's guys, the most potent one's he'd want are already in his box set with the exception of good scheme runners and some support, which he can get from Beckoners, Graves, Tannen, Doppelganger, etc, who are all good support and workhorse models for any other Neverborn master in the game as well. 

So basically my final recommendations come down to the following:

For secondary crew boxes to compliment Lynch's crew (in order of importance):

1) Lilith
2) Zoraida

Secondary Models to obtain, outside of the above crew boxes, that you haven't already bought:

1) Doppelganger
2) Mr Tannen
3) Mr Graves
4) Stitched Together (Currently hard as hell to find as they are pewter only atm, but I'm listing them for future reference for when plastics are released for you)

Outside of the above, a good model that compliments any Neverborn crew as well, especially Lilith and Zoraida, are Waldgeists. They and the Illuminated fill roughly the same role at mid-ranged soul stone cost models to me though, with the Illuminated being more aggressive and the Waldgeists being more defensive, but both have their place.

Best of luck to you in your Malifaux experiences. 

Thanks everyone for the input!  It really is helpful to have some 'inside input'.  I initially was going to be going with Zoraida, but then I actually discovered the point cost issue that you mention Asrian.  Having yet MORE 7ss minions doesn't really do much for my ability to change up my crews.  So in all my waffling, I ended up changing up my plan (to my poor FLGS proprietor's dismay) to grabbing the Lilith box instead of Zoraida for the time being.  I figure this gives me some fun possibilities if I manage to score a Black Blood Shaman sometime soon as well.