Gremraida and Waldgeist

Phinn

Hi, I intend to purchase The Swamp Hag - Zoraida Box Set and play her in Gremlins faction. I would like to ask you for help.

So far I own theese models:

• Ophelia LaCroix
  • Young LaCroix (3)
  • Francois LaCroix
  • Raphael LaCroix
  • Rami LaCroix
  • Pere Ravage
  • Slop Hauler (2)

The Swamp Hag contains:

• Zoraida
  • Voodoo Doll
  • Bad Juju
  • Silurid (3)

And in the future I would like to purchase:

• Sammy LaCroix
  • McTavish (and maybe some Bayou Gators)
  • Rooster Riders and Bayou Gremlins (in the far future)

I like to play to theme, so I do not plan on purchasing models like Nurse.

Or pigs. I got the impression that reason why Pigs are so good with Zoraida is their (1) Charge (via Pigcharge Ability) and I would rather wait for Rooster Riders (with their Roostercharge Ability), whose concept art I like much more.

My qeustion is, will I have use for Waldgeists?

I have been reading about Zoraida on PullMyFinger Wiki, Wyrd Forum and even some blogs and a lot of people said, that Waldgeists are amazing. But the problem is, people were almost allways talking about Neverborn faction.

The box contains 3 models, 6 Soulstones each.

Or... should I purchase Waldgeists and play Zoraida in Neverborn and wait for models like Sammy LaCroix and McTavish to play her in Gremlins faction?

Thank you

I like to play to theme, so I do not plan on purchasing models like Nurse.

Or pigs. I got the impression that reason why Pigs are so good with Zoraida is their (1) Charge (via Pigcharge Ability) and I would rather wait for Rooster Riders (with their Roostercharge Ability), whose concept art I like much more.

I don't understand this, part of Zoraida's theme is that she can manipulate the weak willed, represented in game by her being able to hire anyone (living) with Wp 4 or less. That's her theme.

On the pigs vs roosters, War Pigs fill a different role to that of Rooster Riders. If Make Them Suffer's in the pool, I'd rather have War Pigs than Roosters.

Obviously, at the end of the day, play what you want, but when you start putting constraints on yourself, imo, you're going to suffer.

• Like 1

On the pigs vs roosters, War Pigs fill a different role to that of Rooster Riders. If Make Them Suffer's in the pool, I'd rather have War Pigs than Roosters.

The thing is, that I have played only four games of Malifaux so far and I have zero experience with Zoraida. That is why I do not see further than Pigcharge/Roostercharge being 1 AP, because that was the only thing mentioned, when people were discussing Pigs with Gremraida. I even had to look up what Make Them Suffer is about :D

I don't understand this, part of Zoraida's theme is that she can manipulate the weak willed, represented in game by her being able to hire anyone (living) with Wp 4 or less. That's her theme.

You are right. To me it just feels out of place, a witch and a nurse. I am currently at the start of Malifaux - Rising Powers and I will probably change my mind, when I will know more about Zoraida or when I will start to play more competitively. At the moment I just tend to purchase models that in my opinion look cool and fun.

I like Waldgeist models, but I would hate to purchase something, that would later just sit in the box. Malal, do you like to play Waldgeists with Gremraida?

The thing is, that I have played only four games of Malifaux so far and I have zero experience with Zoraida. That is why I do not see further than Pigcharge/Roostercharge being 1 AP, because that was the only thing mentioned, when people were discussing Pigs with Gremraida.

There's also the fact that Pigs are rather nice but sorta difficult to control. Zoraida is the ultimate in control. You can Obey the Pigs to move, you can Obey the Gremlins to move or you can Obey the enemy to move - all things that can make the Pigs charge the correct way.

As for Waldgeists, Gremlins have no affordable, super durable melee models. Waldgeists fill that niche. They are nice if you need such a thing and their ridonculous melee range can be extremely nice in the right circumstances (Stake a Claim being the most obvious).

• Like 1

Malal, do you like to play Waldgeists with Gremraida?

Them and Silurids are probably the 2 choices that would make my decision of when to take Zoraida over another master. Math has summed up exactly my feelings about Waldergeist so there's not really much more I can add there.

For now though, you're doing it exactly right. Buy the models that you think are cool and fun, come here and ask questions and bit by bit, it'll all click for you

• Like 3

Good on you for giving Gremraida a shot! She's got a learning curve, but can be a rewarding master to play.

Waldegeists are THE carry-over from Neverborn that I like. Having moveable terrain means that I can keep otherwise squishable Gremlins alive a little longer. The fact that  they can also handle their own in melee is just gravy. Hiring shenanigans aside, I love my army having a couple of Groots running around in it ^_^ 

• Like 1

Just wanted to thank you again Hateful Darkblack, Malal, Math Mathonwy and Brewmaster.

I just ordered Zoraida Starter Box and with it a box of Waldgeists, as you recommended.

I got really pumped by Agent of the Breach's Starting with Neverborn. (Working on Zoraida) topic, so I can't wait to paint them. And play them of course. But, being a slow painter, it will not be anytime soon.

Good luck! I played my first game with Gremraida a week ago and she was really a lot of fun. Full of options!

As for how I solve the dilemma of being a slow painter but wanting to play:

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/100352-a-silly-tip-for-slow-painters/

I did my Zoraida and McTavish that way in order to not be embarrassed to game with them. It makes for a nice base to paint on top later.

Thank you, that is quite clever :)

But the reason, why I paint so slowly is, that I like to take my time. I am more into painting than playing to be honest. Anyhow, I participate in local fixed master league, which lasts the whole year, and I already signed up with Ophelia LaCroix. There is probably like 30 - 40 people, that play Malifaux, in the whole Czech Republic :D so these league games, sadly, tend to be almost exclusively the only games that I play.

There is also tournament series in Prague though, which I will take part in. First tournament of 2015 will be held on 28th february and it will be my first wargaming tournament ever, so... pretty excited :) It is bimonthly, as in once every two months (I was surprised that it also means twice a month. English sometimes confuses me.), so the next one (or maybe the one after the next one) I will play with Zoraida.

I also like to do... eh... for lack of a better word, researches. Like go for a walk along the bank of the river, because I want to do swamp bases. Or into the forest and maybe take some photos, in preparation for painting of Waldgeists. Not like I am going to be able to reproduce that :D I just think it's more fun, than just look it up on internet. Recently I went to a museum about traditional czech crafts... Not really something that excites me, the reason why I went there was an exposition of miniature models of houses, that are used in museums - replicas of how the town used to look in 17th century... things like that. And they were lifelike! Best (non)wargaming terrain I have ever seen. So I went to this musem and there was a lot of traditional slavic clothes, took some photos, maybe will try to mimic them. I don't know, they tend to be very complex, though.

Speaking of swamp bases... I found this amazing tutorial: Swamp Base Tutorial by John "Scarab" Salmond on Terrainthralls website.

• Like 1