Guild Guard & Guild Riflemen with McCabe

wobbly_goggy

• 4 weeks later...

I just have to add that dogs are freaking awesome!

Sure, if you need scheme runners, they're not perfect as they need to be either in pairs or in a crew with Luna (who suddenly gets a really big target on her head). But there are so many other uses besides Scheme running. 3ss for a Df5 and Ml5 model? that also happens to charge for 1ap when their target is near a scheme marker? What's not to love. They're awesome at hunting fragile models or tying up larger threats (they don't have armor or large wound pools, but they are 3 freaking ss!).

They are also minions even when not in pairs or with Luna, so they count for things like Reconnoiter.

And especially when played with McCabe, if you want a really deadly missile, give it reactivate and then lend it both the sabre and the badge of speed (last one is pretty optional, but good if you're hiding behind terrain). Then when it's the dogs turn to activate you can move, charge and then companion-reactivate with itself and strike two more times. Word of warning though: keep the dog within 10" from McCabe otherwise you lose your precious upgrades when it dies..

It's especially usefull if you have Vendetta in the pool, as it's so cheap that you can select an easy target.

I'm here to stand up for guild guard.  I usually play lucius, so they are always available for extra actions, which is nice, even if I would rather give the actions to other models usually. But at 4 points, they have real survivability that makes them a great speed bump.  That armor 1 5 wounds makes them much more survivable than the more expensive WS and DM.  They have an additional move trick against scheme markers, which is occasional gold.  And while you don't plan for them to be part of your offensive plan, just weight of fire alone with those pistols will make a sent in your opponents wound pool. 

It doesn't take them doing much for them to earn their points back.  They are more versatile than almost all of the other minions guild has (with only the DM, the Hunter, and probably the Pathfinder being more versatile).  Recon, Interference, Squatters rights are all strats that they are very useful in, and they can, at least short term, do the Turf War, Extraction, and guard the stash job as well.  They grab heads in headhunter as well as anyone and help your activation control.

I had been leaving them in my bag recently, and this post has reminded me how much I love them.  I've been resting Lucius, but I'm going to start putting them into my Lady J crews to remind me how much I miss them.

My main problem with them is... They are a great all round cheap model, but work better in a horde but not as good as hounds. I would rather take 3 hounds rather than 2 guard even for the extra point.

Riflemen though with their force projection are sweet. My real fave at the moment though are sergeants and pathfinders from the guardsman side.