Templecon story encounter

Inquisitor Wall

I will be running the story encounter at Tplecon this year on Friday from 11-4. I am curious if players would have a preference to play a more straight forward story encounter of slightly different strats and schemes than a gaining grounds event, but following a back story. or play something where crew selection and game play is actually impacted for each round?

• Like 1

I don't know if I'll be at TempleCon (only so much travel budget), but personally, I love Story Encounters with lots of custom rules and story behind them.

HOWEVER, and this is important: Playtest your story encounter before rolling it out! I think it's very easy to make a story encounter that's weighted too much one way or the other, or that misses out on some key needed rule that you don't notice until you actually try to play it. The more it varies from the norm, the more important it is to playtest at least once! Hopefully three times if you have friends in your meta who will join in.

• Like 2

I don't know if I'll be at TempleCon (only so much travel budget), but personally, I love Story Encounters with lots of custom rules and story behind them.

HOWEVER, and this is important: Playtest your story encounter before rolling it out! I think it's very easy to make a story encounter that's weighted too much one way or the other, or that misses out on some key needed rule that you don't notice until you actually try to play it. The more it varies from the norm, the more important it is to playtest at least once! Hopefully three times if you have friends in your meta who will join in.

Ted, it would be awesome to see you again. Hope you can make it out to the East Coast!

• Like 1

ok seeing how this is the first post that i pulled up for templecon i just wanna double check something pretty significant. The wave 3 beta stuff....its not allowed correct? I prefer it not to be allowed but obviously im 1 dude. But i defintely see balancing issues here and nothings been edited yet so it could defintely impact the balance.

I cannot speak for all of the events, but certainly for the story encounters the wave 3 beta models will not be allowed. Since they are all new to most players and the rules will constantly be in flux for the near future, it would be a bad idea to allow them.

Again I am not speaking for all of the events, but for the story encounter that I am running they will NOT be allowed.

Good decision, fellas!

On a side note: Maybe we could set aside some time where people can play with the beta rules with just 1-off games? Like have an unofficial, lets get together and try some beta rules out time slot? Just a thought.

If people are interested in that I suggest starting a new thread, but wanted to throw it out there.

Back to topic at hand...glad no Wave3 Beta in standard events!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...