basing gravestones

Shadowdragon

I got a bunch of gravestones recently for use with some graveyard terrain I'm making. I'm not entirely sure how to base them for use in Malifaux though. I can't decide whether it would be better to base them separately and treat each headstone as a separate piece of terrain, or if I should base them in "strips" of 3-4 and maybe treat each strip as a low wall or something. I've searched this forum but didn't find much in the way of graveyard terrain or headstones, so I'm curious if anyone has some graveyard/headstone terrain to share, or some opinions on the best way to base headstones.

I bought a bunch and used them to make corpse counters.  One headstone on each 30mm base with just a simple dirt base and a little flare of some time (a zombie hand clawing its way up, dead grass, moss, shrub bits, etc.).  I guess that doesn't help with your query about how to base them for terrain.

My inclination would be to do a mix - some small pieces of scatter terrain with 1-2 headstones on each, and a couple of larger rows.  Small pieces could just provide severe terrain, while the fence-like rows might provide soft cover and severe terrain.

I think in practice the small ones would be less useful than the rows from a practical gaming standpoint - objects that are too small often feel to me like more of an annoyance than they're worth.  The advantage of having a few small ones is that it can extend the look/feel of the graveyard over a broader areas efficiently - lay a few little bits here and there and it gives the impression of a larger graveyard.  

I have a lot of scatter terrain I haven't done anything with yet - both headstones, crates and other things. I must agree with Haunter here, too many loose pieces will become a hassle both when placing them and during game play. It is a lot more practical to make a few sets, you lose some flexibility but you gain in the long run. Maybe keep a few loose ones to be able to move things around later.

Here's a large cemetery piece I haven't finished.  I went too heavy handed with the foliage flock and may rub much of it off.  This will serve as a large hill to block distance shots, and lots of cover in the middle but with a firing lane down the center.  Now that I see the piece that Dhampir refers to above though, I wish I had done a few things different.  Good reason to make some more and try again.

• 3 weeks later...