Summoner Karina

Hateful Darkblack

Personally, I like the way it was meant to be played, with a single full activation and another pseudo-resummon.

The Student-Alyce combo seems too reliant on the right high card to be worth the trick really, since I don't feel Alyce offers a ton to Tara's lists otherwise, and I guess Nix is fine, but I prefer to play theme-heavy and another model that relies on incorporeal for defense sounds like it's asking for trouble.

And yes, I think it's a very viable tactic- I don't take Tara without Karina now, and it's making me enjoy playing a model that's now a viable but kinda' risky model instead of just trash.

• Like 2

Personally, I like the way it was meant to be played, with a single full activation and another pseudo-resummon.

The Student-Alyce combo seems too reliant on the right high card to be worth the trick really, since I don't feel Alyce offers a ton to Tara's lists otherwise, and I guess Nix is fine, but I prefer to play theme-heavy and another model that relies on incorporeal for defense sounds like it's asking for trouble.

And yes, I think it's a very viable tactic- I don't take Tara without Karina now, and it's making me enjoy playing a model that's now a viable but kinda' risky model instead of just trash.

Read your awesome Tactica. Now I want to get a Transmortis box and some Punk Zombies (which will now make me get Resser stuff!!!).

The way I do it:

Play Karina as far from the action as you can stand, summoning Autopsies for ranged support so that distance doesn't hurt their effectiveness, who Tara then dumps out the next turn, as disposable pistol shots, and it's nice if they actually survive. Pseudo-regen helps with their low summon health. When you have a card for one of the expensive summons, if it's worth it, summon them close to the action. Since it's a (0), Karina has a lot of flexiblity to dump them directly into flurry range, which is easy to achieve since they can chain activate. Of course, it's better if Karina survives, but a good summon is worth exposing her. I like Punk Zombies, but they're really all about equal in my opinion, and I guess the Students have specific targets, depending on enemy composition.

Obviously, disposable summons aren't a great tactic in Make them Suffer or similar things.

Other than that, really whatever works. I prefer to play in-theme, but you don't really need to. She and Tara form a pretty good module on their own.

Also, thanks, Orc!

• Like 1

I feel like I have missed out on something, is Karina suddenly playable? An upgrade or something that lets her summon stuff beyond the RJ death marshal thingy I take it?

New upgrades for her and NB in the Wave 2 Outcast Arsenal Deck.

Karina's let her summon Horrors at full strength, but after they activate they are buried with slow and half health.

NB's upgrade can be discarded to protect him from an attack and also stops friendly buried models from interfering with Glimpse.

Well, not that it's relevant to strategy with her, but, I just had by far my best game with summoner Karina- got a Drowned, 2 Students of Viscera, and an Autopsy out of her for 24 SS off her 5 and some high crows, with full activations or more every round, due to Tara's fast pulse.

It's all even more luck-based than much of the game, but it was still pretty spectacular for a totem to go from trash not so long ago to potentially a very strong summoner.

I've used Karina to summon a Student of Viscera, gave it Fast, had it charge and murder something all for a (0) after blasting something with her gun. The new upgrade definitely goes a long way to mitigate her 5ss cost but only if you get the cards you need to summon something of value. At least what you do summon can be protected by being buried where the Wretches can remove Slow and heal it a little so Tara can bring it back for more. 

Sometimes I wont use Tara's re-activate if I don't feel the need to. She has 2 (0) actions and sometimes the interaction denial is more useful than a 2nd activation so yeah. Summon, Fast, Death. Not particularly confusing, so many people get hung up on the fact they have a Master that can easily go twice per turn that they forget about the 2nd (0). 

When I am using Tara's reactivate though I'll summon, send of to kill stuff, re-activate, give it fast before it buries so it cancels out the slow. Failing that I'll remove the Slow with Void Wretches before I bring it back up later and have Tara give it fast so it's lost Slow and gained Fast without them cancelling each other out. There's lots of different options or routes to take when doing this sort of thing, it just depends on what you think will be most beneficial at the time. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I really like the option to pulse Fast at the end of the turn or the beginning of the next for a lot more flexibility, along with the maneuverability of two activations in a row or nearly so, so only very rarely don't have Tara go first- about the only exception is if something fragile/near-death really needs the first activation, which is rarely more than once a game, how I play.

• Like 1