Are Items going to get restocked or do I need to find a new game to play?

KPowers55

I am frustrated with not being able to try new factions and crew because there's models that interest me are never in stock. I am tired of the lack of communication. There was a lot of momentum at my meta after Gencon and now it is falling out of favor for this same reason. I am contemplating scrapping this game.

Deep breath.   There is a lot of stuff available, but if your LGS is anything like mine only a tiny, tiny fraction of it is in stock at any one time.

While it certainly is true that Wyrd seems to be struggling to get some of the models changed over to plastic or released, there seem to be a couple of new crew boxes released each month along with some individual models so new stuff is becoming available all the time.

If you are in the U.S. or Great Britain there are lots of online retailers that would be happy to sell you stuff.  Certainly in the U.S. ebay is loaded with stuff.

And in a couple of cases I have bough cheap other brand models to use as proxies -- which I can do in casual play--while I wait for the new releases.  

• Like 2

Wyrd is a small company, so it comes with the territory. Go to almost any other game company and you'll have the same issue (Corvus Belli, Spartan, etc). Unless you want to go play a game produced by The Game Company That Shall Not Be Named, you'll have to be patient.

Personally, while it sometimes gets a bit annoying, I'm glad they take the time they do to produce a quality product. And honestly they've had a release schedule for a while and have done well to meet it. If you want something that's already released there are multiple ways to acquire them online. If you're waiting for Colette, Brewmaster (who I'm convinced doesn't exist), Ironsides, or one of the other unreleased crews then jump in line with the rest of us. We'll be playing with the toys we have available.

• Like 2

Sorry you're frustrated. It would help to know which you're talking about, as some things go out of stock and get reordered, but others haven't been released yet.

That said, we've been getting more communicative and are taking steps to get more information out there, but some things take quite a bit of time. I hope you'll bear with us.

• Like 2

The Wyrd webstore isn't that great but to be honest why would you ever buy direct from Wyrd when there are hundreds of retailers selling at a discount? I think their model is more to concentrate on selling through thrid parties rather than selling direct but I might be wrong. I don't know about other countries but in the U.K. we have dozens of retailers which always seem to carry a decent stock of Malifaux stuff. Try Dark Sphere, Warboar Wargaming, Wayland Games, Firstorm Games etc. In the US I know of The Warstore but I'm sure there are hundreds of others. I'm not sure what you want really, you're obviously angry but it's not really clear why.

Thank you all for your responses. I have tried other online retailers with little success. Looking to flesh out my Guild with Lady J box set. I also would like to get the Arcanist box set with the ice golems (forgot the name). I get that the size of the company comes with a longer lead time for releases. It would just be very helpful to see better communication with regards to time estimates for restocked sets.

Well, Guild's Judgement is hard to find in my area. National distributor is out of stock and even Wyrd's store has been out of stock for it for a long time. Seems it's been a popular crew.  :PI 

I did look around for the plastic and it is out of stock lots of places.  There are some metal sets still around, but I think I'm the only one who likes metal better than plastic.  

I do think it is one of the first crews that people pick up--I don't know why I thought it was among the first I should buy, but I remember thinking that.

Wyrd have done a brilliant job getting out what they can in such short space. Fact is, unless you've got a budget of millions and can carry excess stock, this happens. Even large retail chains go out of stock for certain items for prolonged periods; hell, where I work, which has stores up and down the country, we sometimes struggle for our basic products. We should never go out of stock, but we do!

Think of all the effort that goes into the production: first the concept, then design, then render, then mold and production, then logistics to the store, then logistics to the buyer, then shipping. Add in money transfer, banking, accounts, balance sheets and so on. Nothing is simple as walking into a store and buying it  ;)

Also, worth noting that while this is pure guesswork, my experience in business would tell me that as they are a smaller (but growing!) company, Wyrd cannot afford to produce enough excess stock to meet 100% demand while still being able to progress forward with other ideas. What I mean is they have to estimate how many (for example) The Guild's Judgement they will sell, so they can budget accordingly and still have revenue for the other ideas. Now Malifaux grows in popularity very fast, they realise they have underestimated (which is better than overestimating) and so it takes time to recast, restock, retransport, re-sell the items. It's not like Wyrd wants to not sell their items, surely?

And this happens to large companies also. E.g. even the World Health Organisation with its many experts underestimated how many Yellow Fever vaccines were needed for the coming years as people travel more and more. And vaccines take years to make! At least Wyrd and figures don't  :D

• Like 3

What I would like to know is are the items that are listed as "Out of Stock" that have been languishing without further development planning on being reproduced or are they really "Out of Print". Specifically asking about the Terra Clips lines, which seemed to have seen a resurgence in popularity recently.

As with anything in business, if there's enough demand, there will be supply. Haven't Terraclips recently brought out some new ones like Dungeon of the Forsaken? That's probably where the money has gone.

There will be a seemingly large increase in demand simply because people cannot find it anywhere, so they come online to various sites and forums to ask, making the demand appear larger than it is just because people are talking about it.

As with anything in business, if there's enough demand, there will be supply. Haven't Terraclips recently brought out some new ones like Dungeon of the Forsaken? That's probably where the money has gone.

There will be a seemingly large increase in demand simply because people cannot find it anywhere, so they come online to various sites and forums to ask, making the demand appear larger than it is just because people are talking about it.

Terraclips hasn't seen anything "New" in at least three years (Three GenCons ago).

The Building Set in particular hasn't been available for a while now (on the Wyrd Webstore specifically, though a lot of online retailers had them listed as out of stock for months if not years) and even the Brick and Mortars have dried up. About the only set you can still find is the Sewers set.

With the new Plasticraft terrain being released it would be nice to have confirmation one way or the other in regards to the fate of the Terraclips line. The other half of the Terraclips venture, World Works Games had some additional Western inspired stuff that would have been a perfect next step for Terraclips.

I did look around for the plastic and it is out of stock lots of places.  There are some metal sets still around, but I think I'm the only one who likes metal better than plastic.  

I do think it is one of the first crews that people pick up--I don't know why I thought it was among the first I should buy, but I remember thinking that.

I'm with you on that one, old metal Judge looks great, and I prefer the Lady J metals (both the crew box but mostly the alt!) to the flicky-hair plastic.

The plastic Lady J does have the whole Kil Bill vibe going, which is also cool :) Plastic Death Marshals are fantastic minis though

• Like 1

On the new sculpt note, I can only hope that one of the reasons behind there being so little Arcanist stuff in the sale is because Wyrd are redoing the Colette crew based on the negative reaction to the Crossroads artwork. We can always dream :)

Less parts for small models would be nice too. Particularly elbow-joints on too-thin-to-pin models.

Terraclips hasn't seen anything "New" in at least three years (Three GenCons ago).

The Building Set in particular hasn't been available for a while now (on the Wyrd Webstore specifically, though a lot of online retailers had them listed as out of stock for months if not years) and even the Brick and Mortars have dried up. About the only set you can still find is the Sewers set.

With the new Plasticraft terrain being released it would be nice to have confirmation one way or the other in regards to the fate of the Terraclips line. The other half of the Terraclips venture, World Works Games had some additional Western inspired stuff that would have been a perfect next step for Terraclips.

I did not realise it had been that long. That is a very, very long time. There were some streets of Malifaux on ebay UK going for £50 recently. Quite the price

On the new sculpt note, I can only hope that one of the reasons behind there being so little Arcanist stuff in the sale is because Wyrd are redoing the Colette crew based on the negative reaction to the Crossroads artwork. We can always dream :)

Less parts for small models would be nice too. Particularly elbow-joints on too-thin-to-pin models.

Please let the Colette rework be true. the Crossroads art was not very inspiring, especially when compared to the Performer they are offering as purchase enticement for their current Webstore sale.

I am fairly certain the "less small parts" is being addressed as well. That needs to happen more than anything else as assembly should not be a barrier to entry.

I did not realise it had been that long. That is a very, very long time. There were some streets of Malifaux on ebay UK going for £50 recently. Quite the price

Ebay has been one of the only reliable ways of getting the original Terraclips sets (especially the Buildings and Street sets) for a bit now. Sadly even my local "honey hole" game store has dried up, guess I was a bit to efficient at directing people there :).

The only thing competing for longest product without update/ further development is Puppet Wars. Figure they will eventually get tired of the few of us that keep prodding and confirm one way or the other what is going on with the product. Hopefully this is the year that Puppet Wars receives some much needed attention, to steal the companies tag line from a spat of their other games "the world needs" Puppet Wars.

Omenbringer, you and I are maybe two of the most hopeful people for the return of terraclips (my group was just lamenting the inability to pick up more for a full second table worth). I have noticed something that may be a nail in the coffin: terraclips in the black friday sale. Now, it is just connectors and dungeon rise but it doesn't scream confidence in the product to be putting it at 50% off with the v1 stuff....

No it doesn't look good Requirement, however I am still hopeful since World Works Games has made a formal announcement about the continuation of the their business. Perhaps we will eventually see some Terraclips Wild West sets.

Also in case some one is interested I have a local store that still has a few Streets of Malifaux sets available and is willing to ship (they also have the Sewer sets but those aren't as difficult to come by).

• 3 weeks later...