Malifaux websites (not PMF)

Jimbobovalsocks

PMF is the best tactics resource around. What did you not like about it? (Clarity, format, depth of information, etc.)

Otherwise, you could check out some of the many Malifaux podcasts available for tactics advice, or continue to ask on the forums - writing up a proper tactica is a big undertaking, but giving specific advice to improve your game is something most experienced players here are happy to do.

There's a bazillion blogs around, if those are your thing. Aside from Gmorts' which was already mentioned, here's some of my favourites:

http://proixmocoal.blogspot.co.uk/

https://thebovineoverlord.wordpress.com/

http://joelfaux.blogspot.fi/

http://playitlikebeatdown.wordpress.com/

http://blog.mythicfox.com/

And now, looking at that list, it seems I mostly like the Brits o_O

• Like 1

And now, looking at that list, it seems I mostly like the Brits o_O

That's because we kick ass  :D

PMF is probably the best resource for tactics in terms of Malifaux. It's run and created by fans and Malifaux veterans. The guys went to great efforts to change it over from the old 1.5 version and it's the best wealth of knowledge relating to Malifaux out there in terms of information etc. 

I mostly like the Brits o_O

Well who doesn't? In fact, on second thoughts don't answer that!!!!

PMF, what don't I like about it? Many of the entries feel quite shallow and there are some spelling and grammar errors in some of the entries. Stylistically the writing often doesn't work for me. I'm old-fashioned when it comes to writing and old enough to remember a pre-internet age when anything written for public consumption should be a bit formal in it's style. I'm British so sometimes the US style doesn't work so well for me. It's personal preferance but I find coming on here to be much more useful if I have any questions I need answering.

Well who doesn't? In fact, on second thoughts don't answer that!!!!

PMF, what don't I like about it? Many of the entries feel quite shallow and there are some spelling and grammar errors in some of the entries. Stylistically the writing often doesn't work for me. I'm old-fashioned when it comes to writing and old enough to remember a pre-internet age when anything written for public consumption should be a bit formal in it's style. I'm British so sometimes the US style doesn't work so well for me. It's personal preferance but I find coming on here to be much more useful if I have any questions I need answering.

I hear you! I'm not all that old but I still remember the golden age of VHS and Cassette Tapes and the earliest forms of commercial internet. I hear where you are coming from in regards to PMF but the information on there is incredibly useful and valid. It's worth using both PMF and the forums to get a better understanding of the game or specific models/crews. Knowledge is power in a game like this. It's easier to beat your opponent if you know what their crew is capable of and there are 42 Masters and hundreds of models to get your head around. PMF will often give you the basics but coming here can often be more beneficial if you have specific questions that need specific answers. 

• Like 1

I do agree that the quality of PMF entries varies greatly. Some mostly just describe the model without adding really anything if you have the card handy. Which forms a nice base for the article but not much else. I have written a little bit and mostly focused on correcting errors and adding to the tips and tricks sections.

But on the flip side, some articles are extremely in depth describing all sorts of interactions and tactics. So don't write the site off completely.

• Like 5

No to pick on you OP, but as criticisms go, this one seems a bit...shallow. I am not entirely certain why you seem to expect professional-grade writing on a work that's not made by professionals? Additionally, I am not sure where you expect to actually FIND such levels of professinalism on Malifaux tactics articles of all things. Everything is basically fan-written work and the quality reflects that.

But again - not trying to attack you here. I read the same blogs that Math listed, and they are all great. They are mostly similar in terms of writing to PMF though, so they might not be what you are looking for either I suppose.

I don't expect it. I'm not sure where I'd find better quality writing, that's why I asked. I've read plenty of amateur blogs which have a high quality of writing and good attention to detail so I don't think being 'fan written' is an excuse for sloppy writing. PMF is the 'semi-official' resource for Malifaux info and tactics, it's widely quoted and has a comparitively large viewing audience. I think that as the public face of Malifaux people should be careful what they write in there. Some of the articles are good and in-depth and others are pretty poor really. Some of it reads like it's been written by a 20 year old from California and since I'm neither of those things the style doesn't appeal to me personally! People give up their time freely to create this resource and it's obviously great that they do that. However, when you put your writing in the public domain, people are going to judge it.

As a personal aside, I'm really passionate about language. I really love learning new languages and I'm 'one of those people' who feels sad about the current 'state' of English so I suppose I might be slightly biased against what is considered acceptable English as maybe I'm a bit of a language nerd ;)

Anyway man, I love these  kind of debates and I could go on like this all day so I welcome your questions.

Peace.

H.R.H. Lord James Robert Ovalsocks Esq.

Marquis of Sydenham

Master of the Universe

• Like 1

Well, PMF is a wiki, so it is user editable.  If the spelling is poor or the wording is hard to follow, it can always be reworded for clarity/spelling/grammar by someone who has an interest in such things thereby bettering the resource for all users.  After M2E came out there was a massive push for community editing in the wiki, so it is quite possible that the parts that read like they were written by "a 20 year old from California" may very well have been but even poorly worded but correct information is better than a blank page.

• Like 1

Oh man, I do hope we can improve PMF more as time goes on. Thanks for the feedback. (Well, and to move it elsewhere, too, but that's another story.)

Jimbovalsocks, I think you'll find these forums probably the next most likely place for tactics information.

A Wyrd Place on Facebook has some good tactics discussions, but they're not possible to search or archive.

Are you looking for information on particular masters or factions? Different factions have different likely sources. (For neverborn, Joel's blog is great. For Gremlins, rgarbanzo has a fantastic blog.)

For some Masters and in some cases even models, there are dedicated podcast episodes or YouTube videos about how they work, though that might not be what you're looking for.