Jailbreaking against the Viks

wizuriel

So playing in a league right now and the next game is jailbreak (story encounter) with crows for the defender (gah) and the following schemes

• Distract
  • Breakthrough
  • Protect Territory
  • Deliver a Message
  • Take Prisoner

My opponent usually brings the Viks who I really struggle with, but for this strategy/scheme setup I have no idea what to do.

models I have are:

Somer

Ophelia

Wong

Gracie

Lenny

Whiskey Golem

hog whisperer

Slop Hauler

3 piglets

3 stuffed pigs

8 bayou gremlins

I can also proxy any model that doesn't exist and up to 3 models that do exist.

For defending I think I'm just screwed. I don't see anyway I can really stop him from using the student of conflict to teleport Vik of Ash 6" up the board accomplice to Vik of Ash and if she has oathkeeper can discard it for fast and move 10" up the board. Now unless the cell is perfectly positioned in the middle (or more on my side) this will probably be enough to actually free the Vik of Blood in one activation :S

For attacking figure can use Gracie with Saddle and any model with reckless to free whoever I have in the cell, but that is a min of 3 activations and I can't think of any model in the gremlin faction that can take a charge from the Viktoria's and live if he doesn't want me from freeing my jailed model. 

So thoughts? 

Trixie would be good, to give you that initiative. Maybe Rami to start taking shots in the first turn hopefully and just wear them down before they get to you. Sammy might be nice as well if you can get that no charging condition in there.

Or then you just feed them an important model and hope you can take them down before they get to your other models. They sure don't like people shooting at them that's for sure.

Shooting them might work for Defending, but going be in trouble if I'm on the offensive. 

So far my best plan of attack is use Gracie and saddle to move a model with reckless 16" up the board and then go reckless and free my poor master/henchman and hope I don't get a charge from the viks wiping out Gracie, my runner and master/henchman in 1 round

Shooting them might work for Defending, but going be in trouble if I'm on the offensive.

So far my best plan of attack is use Gracie and saddle to move a model with reckless 16" up the board and then go reckless and free my poor master/henchman and hope I don't get a charge from the viks wiping out Gracie, my runner and master/henchman in 1 round

That's when Trixie hopefully comes into the picture giving you the possibility to cheat the initiative. And to keep them at a distance with Gremlin Lure.
  • Like 1

First, really weird set of Schemes as there is no Line in the Sand, just 5 others.

Now some important things to note here:

-First the Student of Conflict cannot Accomplice with Vik of Ash.  It works in the opposite direction as Vik of Ash would have Accomplice, so Vik would have to activate first followed by Student.  So the slingshot with Student and Vik of Ash will not work in a single activation.  If I was playing the Viks I would hire another Henchman and stick them in the Cell myself and instead slingshot with Vik of Ash and Blood if I had to.

-This set up, of either having to free a model and get him back to your deployment, or have a model free and kill it will be kind of tough.  Remember though, it does not have to be his models that do the (2) interact to free the imprisoned model.  Not often the best option but one if you are well posed to start attacking the model or have the capable of paralyzing or trapping it.

Some ideas:

-If I was the attacker I would consider Zoraida for my master.  With Animal Shape she is almost uncatchable and can escape combat, this makes her pretty good to put in the cell as once she is free she can easily get back to your deployment.  To free her I would use a Silurid and Trixie belle.  Note you can just hire a Silurid as a merc with Zoraida if you want, you don't need to use the upgrade unless you want other swampfiends.  With Trixie I have a decent chance at getting first activation and I would have her activate first. I would place her directly behind the Silurid pointing the lizard strait towards the cell so that when she activates and goes Reckless she can Gremlin lure, move, and Gremlin lure again if needs be to get the Silurid to the cell.  If would be better if the Silurid is in base to base at this point but make sure Trixie is with in 6" of the Silurid by the end.  Now the Silurid can Companion and activate.  If it is in base to base it frees Zoraida and then leaps to safety itself.  If not in base to base for what ever reason instead it leaps into bsb and then releases Zoraida. 

Now if you got first activation your opponent has one activation to try and stop Zoraida before you get out of dodge with her.  This means pretty much the Vik of Ash sling shot with the Vik of blood which for almost any master is dangerous, even Zoraida.  Which means I have two choices.  The first is to do it first activation and try to tank the Vik with SS, alot of soulstones, as in one for Defensive for that negative to damage and one for damage prevention for each swing.  But if the Vik got +2 damage from the Vik of Ash that might not be enough even. 

The second option depends on your enemy's crew but might be the safer one.  If you don't think they can block you from freeing Zoraida first turn due to Leap and Trixie, and you have more activations, you can wait them out first turn and then Free Zoraida once they can no longer counter attack.  This means Zoraida can activate safely and move her 15" Raven form plus another 5" if needs be.  For this I would suggest making sure you have 8-9 activations and if you win Initiative thanks to Trixie you make him activate first.  I would likely have at least 3 Bayou Gremlins to help pad activations, between them, Trixie, the Silurid, and Zoraida's Animal Shape you are at 27ss, 30ss if you plan to have a full pool which you should unless you have a good reason.  That is 5 activations.  You could easily take 2-3 stuffed pigs to fill some more for only 4-6ss to get to 7-8 activations and have 14-16ss left.  You are also proxing one model that is not out yet and two models you don't have that are out.  So you are okay there.  What you do with the last is really up to you.  If you took 3 stuffed pigs you could get the slop hauler and 2 bayou gremlins for the activations and have some for another upgrade or two.  Or you could take the Whiskey Golem and something.  The Golem is kind of a worrysome thing for the Viks if it gets its +2 Defense plus its trigger might burn some cards out of the Vik's hand.  It might be unlikely to take them down with SS prevention but it might eat them some time.

AT this point if you think you can protect Zoraida for the rest of the game I you might well have it as all you have to do is complete a single Scheme for full VP and he can no longer beat you.  I suggest announcing Delivery the Message in this case as you have plenty of models can can move and still have 2 AP for it.  If you protected the Silurid him and Trixie could easily do this.  This will force him to consider where he puts Vik of Ash with out giving you 3 VP.  For the other scheme I would base it off his crew.  If I think a Single Bayou gremlin could get Breakthrough or Protect Territory I would go for that.  If he has alot of models that will be moving foward at full speed I would consider Distract as he will find himself easily distracted and not want to waste AP to remove it as he chases Zoraida down.  The key though to protecting Zoraida for the rest of the game will be trying up the Viks and then if needs be fly 15" away and move again to get 20" total.

As this is already really long I will do what I would do as Defender in a seperate post later when I have time.

• Like 2

Yeah it's extremely expensive if you take Gracie, Lenny and Trixie. Do you feel the absolute need for Lenny? He sure is great no denying that. Is he mainly for the Dumber Luck?

If you are relying on manipulating dumb luck or just using a bunch of lacroix and bayou gremlins I would try to fit in at least 1 slop hauler for the heals.