Trouble With Slingshots

A few things:-

1. Molly should not be able to summon Dead Doxies on Turn 1 to boost the Rogue Necromancy, because her Summons die if they are placed >3" away from an enemy model.

2. The Dead Doxy's Take the Lead ability results in a Push on the Rogue Necromancy. Check your terrain. Anything that is Impassable (such as walls and fences) will stop the Push entirely. Bear in mind that Pushes need to be in straight lines. This also means that putting models in its path will not work as Pushes ignore disengaging strikes. The only way that putting models in its path would work is if the models physically block the RN's advance - four Clockwork traps can form a 10" line that a 50mm based model cannot pass through. Put impassable terrain at one end and a Sonnia Flame Wall at the other and nothing is getting past without killing some traps. OTOH - Molly will thank you for putting your models closer to her and Summon off them :)

3. The Guardian is immune to Horror Duels at all times, and so Lucius cannot use Commanding Presence on him.

4. Pistoleros are fantastic. Free Df stance for everyone!

5. Have the Scribe charge a beatstick for the Governor's Authority trigger. This shuts non-SS-using beatsticks down hard.

If you are interested in trying to go a completely different route and are still really frustrated by slignshots, consider "The Body of Evidence".  McMourning is actually an excellent Guild Master, and his crew has unparalleled ways of shutting down a beat stick before it can do too much damage.   

McMourning himself is probably the fastest Master in the game with the Plastic Surgery upgrade and Sebastian.  (he gets a 5 inch push from taking damage from poison, and with Catalyst on Sebastion he will take poison damage when he activates and at the end of turn, for a total 10 inches per turn of pushes.  Add that to incredible healing, and a terrifying knack for murdering single targets.  Doug can go from just about anywhere on the board, to support where you got hit by the Slingshot.  You also get a couple of Nurses who can, with a good hand, disable one or two models per turn with take your meds.

Looking at your general Lucius list I'm not sure I agree with some of your choices.

I played another game with my core Lucius list today;

50ss

Lucius - 7ss

Surprisingly Loyal

Secret Objectives

Mr. Graves

Doppleganger - Useless Duplications

2x Guild Rifleman

Guard Sergeant

Guild Lawyer

Performer

Running Graves, the Doppleganger, and a Guild Sergeant puts a lot of enforcers in your crew, typically when I run Lucius I try to limit myself to 1 or 2 henchmen and enforcers and fill the rest of the list out with minions for him to order around, that gives a bit more flexability to the crew and Lucius' activation, and give's you more varied solutions.   I'm not sure how I feel about Grave's in a Lucius list.  He is expensive, and a model that cannot be ordered around by Lucius, replacing him and the Sergeant with more minions I think would give you a more flexible approach overall.  Guild Sergeant is good, and an excellent model for certain schemes (plant explosives, spring the trap, etc) but overall I don't think he is really worth it unless you are going heavy heavy guardsmen.  Currently he is really only buffing your 2 riflemen, which I don't think is enough to justify his cost.

Death Marshals for instance are awesome minions for Lucius.  They are excellent counter charge units, as shoving a model in the box can really take a lot of pressure off of your crew, and Lucius can order the Marshal to take more box attempts- potentially with the focus trigger.  They also have solid leadership which helps with commanding presence.  Witchling Stalkers are also worth looking at- especially if you've ever black jokered a commanding presence duel and need to cure up paralyze.  They also have solid melee stats, and really benefit from Lucius'  :+fate Ml bubble (although you have to be careful because you don't want them exploding on Lucius!).   

You could also try to slingshot them first. Some combo of Lucius, Abuela and the witchling handler should give you the additional ap to move them up. What lackeys are for can effect anyone, so personally that's why I want to try an executioner with that.

Also, not sure if you saw the doppelsammer thread about getting mark of incineration spread about while Sam himself is hiding. That should make most things a little bit easier and leave the rest as easy pickings. You can ride your one trick pony, but the rest of the stable will be gone when your back

Ways to hinder a slingshot.

Block the attack route with somethign tough. This maybe a Df7 Lady justice with your good cards and stones ready for repost, or it may be a simple wichling stalker ready to explode. Eitehr way you are limiting the slingshot options by denying it the choice of targets. This is terrain dependent, as some boards you will struggle to block enough lanes. Armor and hard to wound models go nicely here, as does defensive stance.

You can keep out of sight. The rogue necromancy can't charge if it can't see. Tricks like Flame wall probably belong here.

You can go for out activtion. Guild Hounds, Guards and stalkers are all pretty cheap (as are watchers, Brutal Effigys (also very hard to kill for the Necromancy) wastrels, Riflemen).

Ranged Threat, Riflemen and Austringers will probably be your call here. If your riflemen have the focused condition, its pretty unlikely the Necrpomancy is going to charge them or anythign near them. Austringrs can potentiall get 2 focused shots a turn in the right crew, which eather wittles down the necromancy, or can destrpy the enemies hand.

Decent support models - Francisco. + 2 df is great at keeping soemthign alive. Df8 Sonnia (for example) is much much harder for the necromancy to hit.

Lawyer can pass out Hard to wound, which helps counter the necromancys 3 headed.

Guardians can hand out Defensive.

Finally how is Molly summoning anything on the first turn that does anything, if its not near one of your models it dies. I don't know Molly and the Doxys that well, but I would have thought if you don't move too far forwards she can't be summoning doxies that wil help her at all. And if she is gettign to summon off your models, consider Taelor and her welcome to Malifaux.

Sonnia is Df4, El Mayor would only get her to Df6. She would be Wp9 though...

Weathering it out is all you can really do if you're deploying first, even then sometimes if you're deploying second. I hate Howard Langston for this very reason, Stoke and Nimble is so good. I also don't have much that ignores armour either.

If you have the time, I would recommend switching crews as it'll give you some perspective.

I toyed around a bit more with Lucius and had all of my minions massacred over and over again. So I switched to Ironsides for a game and got tabled by Pandora, but at least I made her work for it. Yesterday I played a game with Lucas McCabe and it was great, I lost 8-9 but that was off of bad scheme selection and one missed move.

I've got an old McMourning kicking around so I'm probably going to give his Guild incarnation a shot next, and then maybe come back to Lucius when I have patience for him again. Proxying some new masters is a really great way to force me to change how I think about the game, and remember why I love it. It is frustrating to have to keep referring to the cards, but on balance it's totally worth it.