yay got my Bayou boss crew box! with a free Johana?????

grave13

Gracie, btw, was a joy to put together. Everything fit perfectly, there were pegs that go into holes and only one seam and that wasn't too bad.

They aren't all doom and gloom and I really find that plastic cement does wonders opposed to glue. It seams the model together preventing those damn awful gaps.

They aren't all doom and gloom and I really find that plastic cement does wonders opposed to glue. It seams the model together preventing those damn awful gaps.

Im going to try that. I have been using locktight crazy glue on all my miniatures mostly because they were metal. Now that alot of things are trancending to plastic it might be worth to change up some methods as well

you can have awesome looking models or you can have easy to put together models.

I'm happy sticking to the awesome looking ones thanks :)

I think that the new Witchling Stalkers are plenty awesome looking and they are single piece. But that is of course an extreme - no one is clamoring for just single-piece models. But the bottom line is that you can make excellent minis that are easy to put together. Heck, what Wyrd said about switching manufacturing companies and the piece layout of Miss Ery contradicts your notion quite clearly.
  • Like 1

you can have awesome looking models or you can have easy to put together models.

I'm happy sticking to the awesome looking ones thanks :)

That's a lie and I think you know that.

Sonnia goes together easily and looks spectacular.  The Judge is easy assembly and is my personal favorite model in Justice's box.  Ramos looks good without being difficult.  The Ice Golem is nice and impressive without causing headaches.  Hans looks great without being difficult.  Miss Ery is (was?) a spectacular model that takes little to no effort to assemble.  I could go on...

The Gremlins have some oddities in that they're small (strike one - especially after the Kin apparently all ate after midnight between editions), have an aesthetic that currently "requires" separate feet from the ankles down to achieve in plastic (strike two - the undercuts from their style of trousers hurts the cut on the moulds), and tend to come with bits that I am very, very unsure of having a decent life expectancy for transit (strike three? not really, they're still pretty enough to keep :P, but the fishing rod and the Whiskey Golem swing are going to cause fits for years).

The good news is that the Gremlin models look spectacular if you're willing to put in the time.  However, I'm not sure they're worth the effort.  How many soulstones is a damn Bayou Gremlin and just how long did I spend building one? How is a mosquito a study in both "tiny parts of nonsense" and "ugh, gap filling"?  How many pieces does a gremlin's head to be in, So'mer?! XD

You know, I almost want to go grab a So'mer set and write an over-dramatic play-by-play of assembly along with pictures (one of which will probably be a horde of gremlin feet glue to my hand).

I've been using an old detail brush to apply plastic glue and it has been working well for me. I have benign tremors so my hands tremble constantly and this method has been working really well. It takes a long time but that is because I often have to take breaks if they start to shake too bad. Grab an old brush and try it out. I wish I had started doing that before the tremors activated.

That's a lie and I think you know that.

Sonnia goes together easily and looks spectacular. The Judge is easy assembly and is my personal favorite model in Justice's box. Ramos looks good without being difficult. The Ice Golem is nice and impressive without causing headaches. Hans looks great without being difficult. Miss Ery is (was?) a spectacular model that takes little to no effort to assemble. I could go on...

The Gremlins have some oddities in that they're small (strike one - especially after the Kin apparently all ate after midnight between editions), have an aesthetic that currently "requires" separate feet from the ankles down to achieve in plastic (strike two - the undercuts from their style of trousers hurts the cut on the moulds), and tend to come with bits that I am very, very unsure of having a decent life expectancy for transit (strike three? not really, they're still pretty enough to keep :P, but the fishing rod and the Whiskey Golem swing are going to cause fits for years).

The good news is that the Gremlin models look spectacular if you're willing to put in the time. However, I'm not sure they're worth the effort. How many soulstones is a damn Bayou Gremlin and just how long did I spend building one? How is a mosquito a study in both "tiny parts of nonsense" and "ugh, gap filling"? How many pieces does a gremlin's head to be in, So'mer?! XD

You know, I almost want to go grab a So'mer set and write an over-dramatic play-by-play of assembly along with pictures (one of which will probably be a horde of gremlin feet glue to my hand).

LOL! Yep its how I feel about it all. You can have an easy model and still it looks awsome i can vouch for the Marcus Claw and Fang crew box. It was an easy box to assemble and all the models look damn awsome in it.

What do people use for the fiddlier models, plastic cement or super glue? Going to unbox Ramos this weekend.

I wish you luck. Its a crew box that has alot of tiny bits

As well. Brass arachnid do one leg at a time and pay

very close attention to the online instructions for it. The executioner borg is the same way. Jose and Ramos will be your breath of fresh air on that crew box. You may wish to go slow on assembly with this one just to play it safe.

(strike three? not really, they're still pretty enough to keep :P, but the fishing rod and the Whiskey Golem swing are going to cause fits for years).

I read this just as I'm gluing up the final piece of the Gremlin on the swing.. aargh! Two whole evenings getting that guy put together, and he's still far from perfect and will need a bit of work with the scalpel and gap-filler to fix up his arms and wrists. He was a bit of a shock because the rest of the box was really easy to put together, even the other Gremlins.

It really is down to having two pieces having to be glued separately and match up, such as the fishing Gremlin's two arms. I'd really appreciate not seeing any more of these types of components in the future!

Also there's lots of work required to fill the gaps before you can start to paint it, that's the thing I miss the most about metal models.