New player..how to deal with Ressers?!

Electromatic

Malifaux has this annoying thing that when you first play against a given Master, you are at a huge disadvantage. Once you have a game or two under your belt against someone you'll recognize the key interactions and can neuter the right targets but the first time is always rough.

It is taking more than a game or two for me, but the point is valid.  

Also when playing your first few games with a master you may not have a clue how to best utilize your crew.

I have two models that experienced players in the strategy section claim are pretty darn good---so far, for me, they have been a waste of time.  Clearly there is something about using these models that I haven't really understood yet, so it costs me vp having them on the table right now.  I'm not giving up--the folks who know what they are talking about tell me these are good models, so I am going back to the rules and strategy forums in an effort to learn how to use them effectively.

I am fortunate to be playing against a guy who is more interested in training up a worthy opponent than soul-crushing a newb.  He often stops me from doing outrageously stupid things (that seem as rational as anything else due to my incomplete understanding of the game) and tries to help me learn one or two options for my team. (He hasn't gotten to the two models I mentioned above.)

His help has been, well, helpful.  The last turn of the most recent game my mentor/opponent stopped me and explained a strategy option for my team that I didn't even know to consider.  Now that he showed it to me I am already rethinking how I would play the game. I am considering a strategy that I couldn't even conceive of a few days ago.

Not only can your opponent beat you with a crew you haven't met yet, but you can lose by not understanding your own crew's strengths and weaknesses well enough to use them effectively.   

From one newb to another---pick a crew and stick with it for a few games.  Study the rules and cards along with the strategy forums to learn how to best use your crew.  This is the advice I gave to myself and am following.  With one exception--if you play a crew and really, really hate the feel of the crew, switch factions.   My first game was with Resurectionists---not really my thing, so I switched to Arcanists and am feeling better.  Now I am going to play several games with my chosen leader, and I am pretty happy with my choice.  

• Like 2

Just remember, even if everyone says a model is good, if it doesn't fit your playstyle and you can't get it to work, swap it out with something you can, otherwise it's a waste of points. I'm not saying give it up straight away, but if you keep trying and failing with it it might not be for you.

• Like 2

Just remember, even if everyone says a model is good, if it doesn't fit your playstyle and you can't get it to work, swap it out with something you can, otherwise it's a waste of points. I'm not saying give it up straight away, but if you keep trying and failing with it it might not be for you.

Well said. 

Yup.  

One of our players kept trying time and time again to make Howard Langston work, and just couldn't get him to do what he wanted despite other players really liking him.  Once he switched to the Rail Golem, however, he fell in love and I don't think it's left his crews since. 

A fair point.  If I find that there is something about my play style that is at odds with those models (or others) I will give them up.   I may even set them aside for a bit as I work on learning the game since their effective use may beyond my understanding of the game at this time.  But if I can figure out what it is that makes them good, I can surely use them more effectively than I do now.  

• 3 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, which two models? There are some models that might be really good, but still not effective vs. Ressers because of how they work. (Hyper accurate low damage attacks for example)

That's a good point. A damage track of 1/5/7 is fantastic against Armor+2 opponents but not so hot against Hard to Wound models while 3/3/4 is the opposite.