How are people find Ama No Zako?

Tiny

I'm having a really hard time justifying her/him? At 9 stones she's basically in direct competition with Fuhatsu, Ototo, Toshiro, Kang, Sidir, Sensei Yu and Izamu. Sure Ama hits hard and can heal, but so can a lot of that list. I think the saving grace may be the high WP and terror living, so could possibly slot in against gremlins and guild (pine box). But in terms of a pure damage dealer with little synergy id find myself reaching for fuhatsu before ama. 

So prove me wrong! What are peoples experiences?

I'm struggling with this model too so I'll be interested in the responses.

It's definitely a she http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanozako a Tengu 'Goddess',  'Heaven Opposed to Everything'.

I've been taking her in almost every game recently trying to get used to her.

The flight + walk 6 is pretty awesome so she ends up scheme running and flanking a lot, but this sometimes can be a waste of resources.

Both of her stronger abilities are 0 actions which require suits to trigger (miasma and promising whisper), they can both be useful but require a lot of thought to get the most out of.

Miasma can be a good deterrent but I'm often caught trying to dodge my own hazardous terrain.

The damage output is good but the key issue I find with her is she dies really easily. I've never managed the heal as it 1: needs a mask and 2: she's usually dead in a single turn of engagement.

I feel like I haven't figured how to fit all her abilities together yet.

While, admittedly, I have far more 10T in my personal arsenal than I do Outcasts, I have yet to field her in her secondary faction (yes, 10T is secondary for her). I think that, with most dual-faction options (10T/Faction X not withstanding, as they are designed to excel in both), their primary faction is stronger than their secondary one. With 10T the exception is Brewmaster, as he is Gremlin/10T (here and thereafter the primary is before the secondary in listing), and Ama (Outcasts/10T).

Why is Ama No Zako primary in Outcasts, you may ask? Well, to put it plainly, she was Outcast way before she was 10T, but that isn't the mechanical reasoning. She makes auras, she fits nicely in the ss-curve, and the fact that shes a merc, while less relevant to this discussion now, doesn't hurt her case either :P

~Lil Kalki

While, admittedly, I have far more 10T in my personal arsenal than I do Outcasts, I have yet to field her in her secondary faction (yes, 10T is secondary for her). I think that, with most dual-faction options (10T/Faction X not withstanding, as they are designed to excel in both), their primary faction is stronger than their secondary one. With 10T the exception is Brewmaster, as he is Gremlin/10T (here and thereafter the primary is before the secondary in listing), and Ama (Outcasts/10T).

Not sure i agree that models are better in their main faction? What models do you think are?

• Like 1

I use her as Swiss army no Zako. She has control tricks and damage, and while neither are as good as models purely focussed on either, she has both. Yes, her tricks are card/suit intensive, but she has them, and if you can promising whisper a model that needs it (or an enemy) it is a well spend card or soulstone. She's also fast and hits hard. 

Due to this, she isn't a straightforward option, but a good flexible option that requires some setup and thoughts in order to use correctly. Never forget that she can use eat paralyzed/ht 1 models. Most likely to be just a resource drain, but resource drains are very good in Malifaux. 

Use her as a heavy-flanker, and utlize the (0) abilities when the time arrives to use them, and don't be shy to burn a SS in order to use them. For this, you might want to take some additional SS for her to use.

• Like 1

Something i want to but am yet to try out is running her with alongside another terrifying model and use promising whisper to make the enemy model test for terrifying and cheat down the test if the flip passes then use devour on it.

Hungering Darkness and Ama no Zako are a fantastic combo if you want to abuse this, though do expect some annoyed looks from your opponent if he doesn't expect it.

Hungering Darkness and Ama no Zako are a fantastic combo if you want to abuse this, though do expect some annoyed looks from your opponent if he doesn't expect it.

True Dat!

I suspect she might work well with McCabe....he can dish out some Paralyze for her to take advantage of.

I assume he means with Jack daw and his aura increasing abilities, making a bigger area of hazardous terrain.

This, and really any crew with Montresor and at least one Guilty which utilizes pulses and auras. Jack Daw obviously does it best and most naturally, but Leveticus could theoretically do such things too (albeit with a bit more challenge).

~Lil Kalki

She is great with McCabe for the fact that she can get nimble and/or regen +2 which makes her ultra fast and hyper survivable. I do not think that she would be amiss in a Misaki crew either. Ototo and other beat sticks tend to be focused on beating... sticks. Whereas Ama No Zako is pretty good at running objectives and/or beating sticks.