Malifaux Companion Beta - Android App

Installed your app yesterday, its pretty awesome.

Something I'm not seeing is a way to track upgrades that move. (Yan Lo was my thinking but lots of upgrades discard for example). It would be great if they got added into the summon list or we got some way to manage those from the encounter screen

If you hold down on a model on the Encounter screen it will bring up a menu where you can add/remove Upgrades.  :)

• Like 1

Trying to "load crew" in the crew builder if there are no saved crews causes a problem. It pops up a small white box but nothing is visible and the "back" arrow doesn't work. Requires a force close in order to get out of it.

Good catch, I see the same issue. I'll make sure that is prevented in the next release.

Not sure if it's just me, but it appears the Guild upgrade "Hair Trigger" is missing.

Nope, not just you. That upgrade appears to be missing from the rulebook, but I have a card for it. It's been added and will be in the next release. Thanks!

Just wanted to hop in and say I've been using this more and more. It is by far the best Android/Malifaux app to date. Really hope Wyrd will support it with in-app purchases even. I'd be happy to get the app for free and pay $10 for each faction 'deck' (or whatever makes sense).

Well done, and keep up the great work on the app, its awesome.

Quick question any chance we'll ever see 'sharing of lists' among two players under the encounter section?

• Like 2

Just wanted to hop in and say I've been using this more and more. It is by far the best Android/Malifaux app to date. Really hope Wyrd will support it with in-app purchases even. I'd be happy to get the app for free and pay $10 for each faction 'deck' (or whatever makes sense).

Well done, and keep up the great work on the app, its awesome.

Quick question any chance we'll ever see 'sharing of lists' among two players under the encounter section?

Thanks! Appreciate the comments. I'm not holding out too much hope for official support, however. Wyrd emphasized that cross-platform support was pretty much a requirement, and my app would need to be rewritten from scratch for other OS's (iOS, Windows, etc) which isn't my idea of fun. So unless they pick it up and do development on their end I unfortunately don't see that happening. Its a shame about having to lock all the stats, as that's the primary feature of the app and the best use I get out of it.

Uploading and sharing lists is on my down-the-road to-do list, so maybe someday :) Development on this app has been very sparse lately due to my free time being spent painting up my backlog of models. Once I'm in a happy place there I'll work on implementing new features.

Thanks! Appreciate the comments. I'm not holding out too much hope for official support, however. Wyrd emphasized that cross-platform support was pretty much a requirement, and my app would need to be rewritten from scratch for other OS's (iOS, Windows, etc) which isn't my idea of fun. So unless they pick it up and do development on their end I unfortunately don't see that happening. Its a shame about having to lock all the stats, as that's the primary feature of the app and the best use I get out of it.

Uploading and sharing lists is on my down-the-road to-do list, so maybe someday :) Development on this app has been very sparse lately due to my free time being spent painting up my backlog of models. Once I'm in a happy place there I'll work on implementing new features.

bad news of wyrd.

And a option to take a foto (jpeg) of the stad cards ? Anyone only can use de photo of the his cards than have

bad news of wyrd.

And a option to take a foto (jpeg) of the stad cards ? Anyone only can use de photo of the his cards than have

Not a good idea at all. I'm fine using my cards, I actually love using the cards.

Eventually I know Wyrd will have an official app that is cross platform and supported. For now these community ones that are all around scratch the itch pretty well.

bad news of wyrd.

I don't think it is a good idea, such pictures would quickly begin to appear everywhere. Wyrd is generally Ok with active community and supports creative projects but that would just be too much for them.

The idea of being able to insert your own pic to view the card rules has been brought up before, but I think I agree with Viruk that it may be toeing the line too much with regards to their IP. The photos were already available from GMort's blog and they've requested him to blur the rules text.

And, frankly, this effort would be reproducing work I've already done and doesn't give me personally any more functionality, so being a unpaid task and all my lazy side doesn't want to do it  ;)

I love this app so far. I assume the reason you cant access any card data is because you need to get permission from Wyrd for that? I would pay for this app in a heartbeat if it included card data. The scheme generator and list creation with the ability to save them is exactly what i want from an app like this. Plus it tracks health and soulstones. Any chance we will see condition tracking as well? IE: Fire, Poison, Chi?

I love this app so far. I assume the reason you cant access any card data is because you need to get permission from Wyrd for that? I would pay for this app in a heartbeat if it included card data. The scheme generator and list creation with the ability to save them is exactly what i want from an app like this. Plus it tracks health and soulstones. Any chance we will see condition tracking as well? IE: Fire, Poison, Chi?

Yeah, can't freely unlock all the card text as that would compete with Wyrd's Arsenal Deck sales, and I definitely can't charge for the data myself.

Condition tracking is something I have on my list of ideas; something like a status bar below that model that shows all of its current effects. Not too high up on my list, though, as it will likely be too click intensive for smooth operation. Personally I like the physical aspect of placing a marker near the model to indicate effects; makes it easy for both players to see exactly what's going on.

Used the app for a game last night.  Crew creator worked great (be nice if full card info is allowed) but it was the scoring and scheme tracking that really shined, big thumbs up! Running on Nexus 7 BTW with no hiccoughs.

As an add, I would love to have the card info in the app (I know the situation there, so more wishing) just because I play all seven factions and am now up to 14 arsenal decks and am running out of room (in spite of using a Breachbag...).  Plus the bag is getting damn heavy : )

• Like 1

I ran into an issue, last night, where I couldn't add my second Performer or Mannequin to my crew (despite having 2 of each in my Collection) without deselecting Restricted.  I didn't have that problem adding my second Gunsmith, though.

Hmm, I just tried to reproduce this and couldn't get it to happen. How were you trying to add the Performers/Mannequinns (i.e. were you tyring to add two at a time using the right-to-left swipe gesture, or adding them one at a time)?

• 2 weeks later...

I like the general asthetics of "The Breach" slightly more thant "Malifaux Companion". Although the Splash Screen is a bit garish.

I like the asthetics of the crew list in "Breach" slightly more than "Companion". But "Companion" has more data, so it is more useful.

I prefer the list style main menu of "Companion" over the Icon style menu of "Breach". But I wish "Companion" had options to go to the FAQ, Site, Forums, and Pull Finger.

I love the Encounter Tracker, Collection Tracker and Browse features of "Companion".

Both Apps could use an About page with a version number and contact info. Both apps have some quirks to navigation that require familiarization.

Overall, i prefer "Companion" to "Breach", because I find "Companion" to be more useful. But I keep both on my phone so that I can access the FAQ.

I have a question about the Summon Model button in the Encounter Screen.

I have loaded my Hamelin Crew, and I click Summon Model. When the Restrict Box is checked I am offered Baby Cade, Crooligan, Hans, M Rat and Rat King.

If I uncheck the restrict box I am offered all of the models in my Collection.

What is the criteria of the Restrict Box? Is it by Rarity? If so, I believe there is an error with "The Stolen".

Even though they are a totem they are Rare3 and should always be listed in the Summon Box if there are less than 3 currently in the Crew.

There may be some other masters who have options to have multiple Totems on the field at one time, the error may exist with them as well.

Also, Baby Cade, Crooligans and Hans are not "normally" summonable by Hamelin. Is there an easy way to limit the summon box to models a crew has rules for summoning?

• 2 months later...

Is this project still in the works? There's been no word from the OP since early September, and I'm just wondering if it got shelved or something. I love this app because of the ability to load my crew for the encounter negating the need to write on my cards or use dice to keep track of wounds, the collection and restricting what I can hire exclusively to my collection is great, just the whole app is so well thought out, well laid out, and incredibly functional. I'd hate to think that we'd lost such a useful tool.

Is this project still in the works? There's been no word from the OP since early September, and I'm just wondering if it got shelved or something. I love this app because of the ability to load my crew for the encounter negating the need to write on my cards or use dice to keep track of wounds, the collection and restricting what I can hire exclusively to my collection is great, just the whole app is so well thought out, well laid out, and incredibly functional. I'd hate to think that we'd lost such a useful tool.

This has been on the shelf for a bit. Lacking official support, I can't enable the main feature of viewing full card stats so that kind of kills my interest in spending a lot of time on this project. I plan on updating for errata, avatars, and new models when they are released, but haven't spent much more time adding any new features because of how much time it takes and other stuff going on in my life nowadays. However, I have really been wanting to start development again, so something new may be coming in the future...

Sorry to hear that. I was really looking forward to having the conditions and everything on the encounter list. Is it possible to use the data from the cards without using the actual images or will Wyrd not allow that? I know with certain other games the online crew builders and apps are allowed to use the text from the card, but they aren't allowed to use the image of the cards.

Sorry to hear that. I was really looking forward to having the conditions and everything on the encounter list. Is it possible to use the data from the cards without using the actual images or will Wyrd not allow that? I know with certain other games the online crew builders and apps are allowed to use the text from the card, but they aren't allowed to use the image of the cards.

We're not allowed to use the full rules text from the cards. I've transcribed all of the rules into my own database and am not using images of the cards, so if I had free reign of the info I would be able to just unlock the 'Lock Arsenal Deck content' option and have a full-featured release.

To get official support I'd need to do iOS/Windows support, Arsenal Deck monetization, tournament organizer features, etc. which I'm not able to get done in a set timeframe with the limited time I have to spend on this project. So unless Wyrd picks up where I left off I don't think that will happen any time soon.

I have been getting the itch to work on this a bit more, though, and there seemd to still be a decent number of people using the app. So we'll see what I have time for in the near future.

Thanks for the encouragement!

• Like 2

Small update to add support for the 5 new strategies in the Gaining Grounds 2015 document.

v1.14
-Added support for 5 new strategies introduced by the Gaining Grounds 2015 document. New setting for choosing which strategies you'd like the app to use for Standard Encounter auto-generation (classic only, new only, or randomized).
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...