Stils and Dumb Luck

Math Mathonwy

Question

This came up in today's game. We all read it that you could do it, but agreed that it's probably a good idea to make sure. So here goes:

Can you discard Stilts to lower the damage you get from Dumb Luck resulting from your Melee attack to zero?

In the game Francois Dumb Lucked for ten and would've taken five but discarded Stilts to avoid the damage.

17 answers to this question

i would say it doesnt.  dumb luck does not have a melee or ranged icon,  making it non specific damage type.  stilts can only be used while suffering from a melee attack action,  just like you wouldnt be able to use it against black blood.

My View - The damage comes from a melee attack, so it can be stilted. If you could give a gremlin bulletproof and they then dumb lucked a Sh attack, they would get the "armour" for that. Its like Blasts from a Ca attack aren't effected by Incorporail, but blasts from a Sh attack will be.

The action that causes the damage is a Ml action therefore it is Ml damage.

i would say it doesnt.  dumb luck does not have a melee or ranged icon,  making it non specific damage type.  stilts can only be used while suffering from a melee attack action,  just like you wouldnt be able to use it against black blood.

Franc takes 5 Damage as part of the effect of a Trigger, not an attack. I can't see how Stilts will reduce the damage as it's not even an attack, it's a part of the Dumb Luck Trigger. 

That's what I thought as well, but then I leaned towards that it did originate from a ML attack. My initial impression was that it is from a trigger dmg not actually ml dmg, so it would be able to reduce if you hit by a ml, not if you backfire with dumb luck. 

Dumb luck doesn't do any additional damage itself, it only modifies the damage curve and throws in the backlash clause. Damage being dealt to both models on a dumb lucked attack is still coming from a ml or sh action.

The Rules

Instead of it's normal damage, this attack deals X/X/X damage to the target, and this model suffers damage equal to half the amount the target suffers

Further,

pg21

If a trigger is part of a specific action it is listed below the actions description. These are called action triggers and are part of the action itself.

Emphasis added.

Dumb luck doesn't do any additional damage itself, it only modifies the damage curve and throws in the backlash clause. Damage being dealt to both models on a dumb lucked attack is still coming from a ml or sh action.

Further,

Emphasis added.

Ah I see it now, it still feels a bit dirty though I like it!