Storage

I have no idea if I should buy the "Double-Wide Unit Tray" or the "Single Base-Tray"?

- why would I choose one over the other?

Is the "Single Base Tray" the same as the "Bottom Base Unit Tray" ?  If so, I just mentioned that the trays with the metal base and no "topper can maximize storage since there are no predefined cutouts where the models have to go.

The Double Wide can further maximize storage as it has the same "footprint" as two trays, but uses less surface area for the plastic "tray rim".  They are a bit less modular since you are likely to be putting more than one crew on that beast size tray (unless crew with most of its support options too or something.)

Yeah they are the same :-)

But I would like the tray with the holes, as they help even further to keep the Miniatures in place. Besides I normally just take models for one crew with me, so I never have a lot of them.

But if I take out the drawer, there should be more then enough room for even the tallest model on a big base?

But I guess I will order the double tray then, as it seems to maximise the room?

But what exactly would I be able to do with the single ones, that I can't with the double ones?

Yeah they are the same :-)

But what exactly would I be able to do with the single ones, that I can't with the double ones?

It may not be of any advantage if you are using the "toppers," since your models will be broken down by base size for each tray instead of by function/crew, but the single trays can be handier without toppers since you can organize each tray by crew. 

Since the case may not hold all the crews you have, it is nice to be able to simply decide which crews you want to bring that night, and just select those trays, rather than having to transfers minis from one tray to the other.

It has not been an issue for me yet, but I have several more trays than my case can carry at once, just so I can keep the models separate and I have more crews than the case can carry at once. 

A double tray would still work fine, but if the other half of the tray is filled with models you don't need for a particular outing, you may find yourself having to switch them out.

If you are using the "toppers", assuming that two would fit on the double (although you may actually have too much room due to the two "rails" of space you are gaining) it Would not save you any extra room for models, as the cutouts let you fit the predetermined number of models, with no more and no less.

With the 30mm it is not a big difference perhaps, but only fitting like three 50mm models on a single tray eats space fast, with "wasted" space between that could easily fit others.

You should be ok fitting two racks without the drawer I imagine (although it may be tight), but I would consider the Half instead of the Mini, as the drawer is really nice in that it can carry all your counters, SS, dry erase markers, several Fate Decks, etc.

I would email Tablewar direct to confirm any potential compatibility concerns you have. with the various trays and toppers to make sure.

Thanks for the reply Fenton :)

I still have a last question though- if I order the single trays instead of the double, would I be able to have two single trays at the bottom but only have one at the top, and then put the tallest figures at the bottom under the place where I have omitted the tray at the top... would the tall figures then be able to just poke through the top as there are no tray?

- I hope you can understand my question ^^

I still have a last question though- if I order the single trays instead of the double, would I be able to have two single trays at the bottom but only have one at the top, and then put the tallest figures at the bottom under the place where I have omitted the tray at the top... would the tall figures then be able to just poke through the top as there are no tray?

You could, but I think you would still need to order the other tray and use the tray frame without the sheet model bottom, so the tray does not slide back and forth on the upper rack. Since the rack can accommodate two trays or one double, with only a single it will freely slide left to right.

Additionally, the number of models that are tall must be considered, as the holes in the rack are smaller than the surface area of the tray, being there to provide a way to push the trays up and out of the rack, so the tall model(s) would need to be placed in the middle of the bottom tray, as outliers would "hit their heads" in the pre set three 50mm model config of the topper I believe.

Keep in mind if you want flexibility of model arrangement, but like the security of the models not ever being able to slide, they sell rings that can be glued to the trays for custom layouts of diorama trays.

I pack my models tight enough they cannot slide, and the magnets are strong enough can stick the tray vertical and they stay on, so I would not be too concerned with sliding either way. If you tip the case far enough, you'll have to sooty about the trays falling out before you worry about sliding models.

Love all the discussion.

Pretty clear to me now that there is a lot of personal preference involved and I need to figure out what my preferences are and I can't do that unless I get some first hand experience.  So I've ordered a couple of KR foam trays and I am looking around for some magnets---got plenty of steel pans.   

Wish me luck.

• 3 months later...

@ikvar, hello, I've been looking for an EU retailer for tablewar cases, but not yet had a response.

Could you tell me who you used please?

Did you go through with getting one?

Cheers

I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE one of these, but the price the jokers ask for postage to Australia is criminal.

Australia is alwasy expensive to ship to/from and I can say that the large full case is very, very large. Too large. I've wanted to sell it for a while but haven't found a buyer as shipping somethign that size is crazy $$$.

• 6 months later...

My plan is to build a wooden rack inside an old GW plastic case and use steel sheets as shelves. I already has loads of magnets and steel sheets left over from my last Warhammer Fantasy project, just have to get off my butt and go buy some timber.  :)

Sooo... I finally got around to this, I'm definitely better at procrastination than carpentry.

case_zpspnzqarxe.jpg

Had to jazz up the outside a little, unfortunately I can't freehand a circle very well. :P

parts_zpsih9mgapz.jpg

The inside stuff, plywood with strips glued on with PVAc and plugged. The trays are .7 mm steel sheet.

inside_zps0r4vjgmj.jpg

Most Ht 1 models fit between 2 steps and Ht 2 between 3, though some that are waving weapons need 4 steps. All my Ht 3 guys fits on 4 steps. Stupid sexy Rail Golem takes 6! Anyway, you could fit 10 trays with 3 steps between them, 14 30 mm bases on each tray. For the time being I have cards and stuff here too.

innerlid_zpsnpayrscb.jpg

Inner lid, the edge of the case is very serendipitously shaped and holds the wood firmly in place.

book_zpsi45792p5.jpg

The big rulebook and a counter trays fills up the inside of the lid. Future plan is to get the small rulebook and sew a system of pouches to hold cards and stuff along with it in the lid, freeing up the space in the model area. I'm an even worse tailor than carpenter so it will no doubt be an adventure!

The plastic case by itself weighs 1135 g, the wood parts 536 g and 10 metal trays 771 g for a total of 2442 g (5.4 pounds).

• Like 1

Very neat.  

I just picked up a used metal case with pluck foam.  

The foam was completely plucked so that will have to be replaced, but given the price ($0) I think I can handle replacing the foam.  Pretty sure I don't have the skill or patience to build the internal shelves like bengt.

Here is my solution. All made from pretty cheap materials from the hardware store.  Shelves are fully adjustable and with the six surfaces I should have enough space for the at least all of the in faction models. Mature Nephilims wings are giving me a bit of an issue so I may dedicate a shelf just to the tallest models.  I plan on enclosing the sides in a thick styrene  and I could cut some longer rod for more shelfs if needed. 

I stole an idea from some dakkadakka people, and am using four-pistol cases with foam inserts that I 'bored out' with a copper fitting.

What I am also looking at is this idea:

Really Useful Boxes (note, this is a HOUSE and mild transport answer, and not heavy travel) have a box that is about 12x12x3.  I have ordered some 2.75inch thick foam, and I will be using my copper fitting to make space in it.

Then, I will glue thin craft foam to the bottom to make a tray.  One tray per Really Useful Box.  Clear so you can see which box you're grabbing.

The handles/latching is NOT going to stand up to abuse, but I am betting they will be PERFECT for grabbing all my models of a single faction and popping them in the back seat for a quick run.