DOA

Chriscdoa

So plenty of people who backed the game have the pdf right?

So why is no-one talking about it.

I can't find blogs about the game, no reviews, few posts.

Most big RPGs go mad with posts when just a preorder or draft goes online (hackers guide, numenera, mindjammer, 13th age) but with TTB there is nothing. Surely the NDAs are over now?

Seems hard to belive the game can survive if there is this little talk about it.

Sorry for rant...just worried

Part of the problem is that it is only pdfs. They are useful, but I can't run a game from them; it takes too long to get everyone on the same page, and I don't feel comfortable handing them out.

Part of the problem is that the game is very much a first edition RPG. and a bit niche at that.

And part of it is that it is only kickstarter people who have it.

Yeah, with less than 1,500 copies 'in the wild' (not everyone will have downloaded it, some don't know, some hate pdfs, whatever) plus however many might have been shared/pirated by now, there probably just aren't that many groups looking to read over a couple hundred pages on a monitor.

Hell, I'm still waiting for my physical copies.  I'll browse hundreds of forum pages in a day, but if I'm settling down to read a book, I generally prefer to have it in hand.

So plenty of people who backed the game have the pdf right?

So why is no-one talking about it.

I can't find blogs about the game, no reviews, few posts.

Most big RPGs go mad with posts when just a preorder or draft goes online (hackers guide, numenera, mindjammer, 13th age) but with TTB there is nothing. Surely the NDAs are over now?

Seems hard to belive the game can survive if there is this little talk about it.

Sorry for rant...just worried

I don't know. 

I game at my FLGS and even if not in a game I stop by several times a week and have never heard of Hackers Guide.  I have heard mention of Numeneria and Mindjammer on a forum I frequent, but have never seen them played or heard them mentioned at the FLGS.   13th Age took off here after the hardcopies were available, but mostly because Pelgrane directly supports in-gameshop organized play with free adventures and participation in the "Bits and Mortar" program.

As for TTB, there are two forums. One is the backer forum and then there is this forum. 

But the big issue may be what Dracomax mentioned.  The game is not out yet. 

It has been submitted to the printers and they do not have it for physical sale yet and there were only 1546 backers (a tiny number when you really look at it) that have a copy.  Not to mention that their primary bread and butter, Malifaux 2E was just recently released and they have yet to complete the Arsenal Boxes for all the 1st edition figures (complete means physical copies available for purchase at your FLGS).

I’m guessing that when the books are physically available and if Wyrd launches some kind of actual support for the line, you’ll see if it takes off. 

But people don’t get excited for something they cannot see or own.

We are a couple sessions in on a new adventure all using the pdfs, it is a little cumbersome at times using the pdfs instead of some printed books and yes it is a firste edition RPG so has some faults but we are all having fun playing it. I have just had work consume so much of my time of late tah I havent been able to update our groups adventures beyond the first non character generating session. It will be coming though.

I wasn't a backer but I am a member of a longstanding RPG group that originated with three of us wanting to do something on the Monday night (for us) patch night for the original EQ. While we were doing other games together this 'evening group' has been gaming together about 15 years. While some of the guys aren't fans of PDF's I'm used to doing research from pdf articles so it doesn't bother me.

As for where our group (that has 3 backers, maybe 4 (EDIT: Just verified we have 6 backers 3 of which hit the $225 package) is at well we've created our characters. Right now we're engaged in some 'softplay' via email while our FM gets some work done on the game and we discus ways to manage our sizeable group. Malifaux seems to be a natural fit for us. A few of us devoured WW's 'WoD storyteller system' and followed it into the LARP version as well. We've played or ST'ed for groups of a considerable size so what we read in the FM Almanac on game creation/management and communal storytelling all makes perfect sense to us. I've been using 'timelines' and 'update sheets' for my key NPC's and NPC groups for over a decade in LARP so I'm more than happy with that aspect of the FM system. We're thinking that our few hours of the evening may be best served by using the email summary prologue a few days before and a simple TV episode formula of three defined Acts to get the most out of our gaming tie. Our FM is even considering if we can do our epilogue via email as well. Partly this is all due to the size of our group.

Victorian, Steampunk, Western Horror, Gothic Horror, Machiavellian political games to control a resource, tinges of the macarbe and downright insane, differing views of legitimacy and 'right'. As an old fan of Deadlands and someone who devoured Werewolf - Wild West setting and enjoyed the crazy games of Cthulhu I played and the weirdness that is WoD Lost, Malifaux is simply a vibrant thematic tapestry that is waiting to be developed, devoured and digested by those who seek to explore it as players or FM's.

There are some problems with the books with certain content missing. But I guess you can look at it as an opportunity or a fault. one example besides the throwing knife mentioned in another thread is where p 120 of the Fated Almanac talks about the crafting skills and how they are vitally important to a Fated character. And I can honestly understand why that's the case. But it goes on to say the Fate Master Almanac has more information on the subject and it should be noted that crafting is not a 'set process'. I even get that part of it too when you consider the setting and environment the Fated characters are in. But when you search the FM Almanac guess what, nothing about crafting or income or anything else along those lines can be located. I understand the intention was to get the important info into the FM book but it's just one post it note on a wall that most likely slipped off the board, or content was set aside to make room for something else as deadlines crept up. I guess while it would have been nice information to have it's not essential and we have an inkling of what is 'meant' anyway.

Through the Breach (TtB) books are like most RP books an opportunity. Different people will approach them in different ways and for me personally the first thing I see is the setting, and it has really drawn me in. I wasn't a Malifaux player so while some of my mates have the minis and played the mini game I flicked through a few books. But this is what I was waiting for, an opportunity to add our stories to the city and its surrounds. We'll work through the holes in the rules with a bit of common sense and our usual minor ranting and raging. But at the end of the day we'll have some fun times and interesting stories to tell.

Those who are familiar with FFG 40K RPG games will understand what is meant when the statement 'content is missing' is made. It's not a precise rules system, but I don't think it was designed to be. Hopefully the Wyrd Chronicles will have a page or two with rules updates/errata or even thematic content dealing with certain items from TtB. Maybe even some more setting information on the Badlands would be nice.

TLDR:

Through the Breach is a first edition RPG whose function it appears was to give fans an opportunity to explore a rich and amazing world. It does that quite well. As a mechanical system TtB has some minor issues that we are locating and discussing amongst our smaller group and settling on answers for. If we get more TtB publications later awesome. If not we'll write our own content that suits us. Right now we're not discussing it much outside our group because we're still getting a handle on it ourselves. Thanks for sharing the world though, it's already earned a place amongst our favourite story settings.

wave

ad

Edited by Ad1
  • Like 2

I can tell you from just reading it over, there are some things I like, some things I hate, and some things I am undecided on. If and when I have time, I might post a blog about it, but honestly, I'd almost rather wait until it is published before putting my thoughts out to the open world, so as not to unduly influence anyone for or against a game that is not even out yet.

Again, I'll be echoing what others have said here. I'll be more than happy to talk up the game, review it, etc., once I have a physical copy in hand. This is the case both for ease of reading and note-taking, as well as for actually showing friends and possible players/FMs. The pdf files are great for quickly referencing specific pages I've made note of in advance, or for reading on a mobile device a page here and there, but I feel that I won't be able to judge the book properly without a physical copy. Furthermore, I wouldn't want to make comment on the book until I see its final, published form, so that I can note changes that happened in the final weeks, and avoid saying something about the pdf that turns out to be untrue about the final product.

We're working on making it happen as quickly as possible, some things we can control (and have delayed for further testing, etc), other things we can't once its in the hand of a vendor (manufacturing, printing, shipping, whatever). 

We think folks will like it, but obviously we're biased and I'm sure like with anything we do, folks will let us know where we got it right and where we got it wrong. 

Once it is released officially there will obviously be quite a bit more content in the Wyrd Chronicles, the website as well as what we hope becomes an interesting forum item. Me personally, I'm playing with the idea of doing a PBEM or PBF adventure but lord that's a bit of work and I'm not sure if I've got it in my right now. Maybe instead I can bribe someone into a game and participate. :)

My group (2 backers and 3 others) loves this system, in general.

We decreased the rate at which Fated get cheatin' cards to value them up a bit, but beyond that have been playing vanilla.

As a generality, I think that this system really requires an involved group. It's super fun when the story is an honest back and forth between Fatemaster and Fated. As an example, I have one player who asked after a session "I like my character, but I really want to explore the magic system and have another character in mind. Do you think I could become possessed and play two characters at once?" The answer to that was "Yes". It actually played REALLY well into the story we are playing. I had another character that missed a session and wanted to do a make-up session solo so he could "explore the reasons his character was in Malifaux, and also bring some BS back to the group for them to enjoy". With players like these in this system, it is astonishingly flexible and powerful. If your players are more focused on hack-n-slash and tactical movements, while the system supports it, it is fast and loose enough with the tactical aspect that it will probably fall pretty flat for those players (plus, the system is dangerous).

I'll be releasing some of my game notes and story arcs when we get physical books in hand, as well as a few of the neat mechanics that have worked well for our group.

TLDR: Game is really good overall, but your players need to be story-driven to get the most out of the system.

• Like 2