Nothing Beast and Disengaging strikes.

Ausplosions

Question

0) Void: This model may discard a control card to gain the following Condition until the end of the turn: "Voided: After another model resolves a successful Ml Attack Action against this model, this model may immediately take an Obliterate Attack Action against the attacking model

So can I use it if I fail a Disengaging attempt?

22 answers to this question

when a model tries to stop the nothing beast walking away, it makes a strike at the NB.  If the strike is successful, the walk action does not occur.

Since the model made a successful strike against the nothing beast, the NB will get an obliterate attack if it had used its (0) action and the attacker was using an Ml action to strike with.

when a model tries to stop the nothing beast walking away, it makes a strike at the NB. If the strike is successful, the walk action does not occur.

Since the model made a successful strike against the nothing beast, the NB will get an obliterate attack if it had used its (0) action and the attacker was using an Ml action to strike with.

This is how I read it also.

Is it a successful Attack? Yes.

Then Obliterate.

It reads on pg. 44:

"may choose to take a free attack action with any one close attack" but then it reads later "A disengaging strike deals no damage, has no other effect and may not declare triggers" does the has no other effect regard only to the strike making one or both of the models? 

The Nothing Beast is not making a Disengaging strike. The attacker is.

The attacker may not declare triggers/produce effects.

The defender can.

Actually, they can't. Nobody gets triggers. From the FAQ:

Q: Can a model defending against a Disengaging Strike declare Triggers?

A: No. Neither model may declare any Triggers during a Disengaging Strike.

So there's no triggers for either side. This would (to me) imply the 'no extra effects' thing applies to both as well.

• Like 2

Why are we calling the condition "voided" which in an on going effect a trigger? The NB is not declaring any triggers during the disengaing strike. If an enemy model uses a ML attack action to try and stop the NB from leaving combat and succeeds, the NB gets to take an Obilterate Attack Action against that same model. The (0) Void states After another model "resolves" a successful ML Attack action against the NB. The disengaging strike has been competly resolved. If the attacker stops the NB from performing the walk action which would have allowed it to move away from an enemy model the duel is over, completed. Then, the NB gets to make a strike back. IMO. 

Triggers occurr at the end of a final duel total, whether they be from attack or defending. The NB has a condition placed upon himself that occurss AFTER a duel has been resolved successfully meeting the requirements listed. 

Unless we are going to say that a ML attack action is not the same as a free attack action with a close combat range and that is what doesnt qualify the "voided" condition to work after a disengaging strike was successful against the NB.

I should clarify:

I'm not calling it a trigger - I simply said that no one declares triggers, which would indicate to me that the 'no extra effects' clause the disengaging strike has applies to both attacker and defender. 

Does that clause cover the NB's retaliation attack? No idea, not got the cards in front of me and didn't see anything in the rules when I glanced earlier that would either directly prohibit or allow it.

Believe the effect clause refers to the non-damagey bits of the attack used to make the disengaging strike, not to any peripheral ability interactions which may be relevant as a result of the attack.

As Ausplosions noted, it also only refers to the model MAKING the disengaging strike, which is not the NB in this example. The NB is BEING HIT BY a disengaging strike, which is what allows him to make his Obliterate attack. Nowhere does it say the defender in this scenario doesn't get "other effects" though they do not get triggers. 

Which means NB can Obliterate, and Pandora could push 4, since neither of those are triggers. 

Honestly, I'm not even 100% sure on what 'has no effects' means for the model making the attack. If the model is currently Bewitched by Zoraida, does she draw cards for its Disengaging Strike? If I have Dirty Cheater and cheat on a Disengaging Strike, do I heal? Does 'no effects' stop indirect things like that, or is it just aimed at the results line of the attack?