miniature proxy rules

Bumpasses

Question

9 answers to this question

From the Gaining Grounds document:

Proxy models are not allowed in M2E Tournaments. A player must use the official Wyrd Miniatures model. This prevents a score of issues, most notably an opponent not being able to visually "read" the table.

Conversions, however, are acceptable. They are an excellent way to show off your modelling skills, and that is part of the fun. Original sculpts and conversions are allowed if the TO deems them to be accurate representations of the models portrayed. If using a model that was converted with manufactured pieces, no more than 33% of the finished model may be built using other game companies’ models, while the rest must be either wholly or a combination of original sculpt or Wyrd manufactured pieces, as determined by the TO.

If a model has an officially released (non-beta) stat card available, but no model is yet released, the player may field a conversion, but it must be easily identifiable, as per the TO's discretion.

So if your planning on just using another whole model then the answer is no.

If you are planning on kit bashing something together, then at least 66% of it has to have come from Wyrd, and it's still up to the TO.

Well it all depends upon who is running the tournament. Officially sanctioned events such as the tourneys at gencon are often stricter on what is allowed (I can't recall Wyrds exact policies for the year just gone) but unofficial tournaments (which is pretty much every tournament you are likely to come across) are often much less strict about proxies and conversions. If you intend to enter a tournament then read the rulesacl for it ahead of time to find out the individual tournaments policies in regards to proxying. Really the only miniatures game that springs to mind as being particularly strict on proxies in tournaments is WarmaHordes and that is because privateer press tries its best to enforce an authorative tournament structure.

Keep in mind that the entire GG document is suggested guidelines. In an official Wyrd-run tournament, of which I am not aware of any, it would be the rules, but in anything else its up to the TO. Our local tournaments will likely relax the painting requirements for a while, for example, since we have a lot of new players and stuff takes time to paint. 

I have some proxies (a Reaper yeti for a Blessed, etc) becuase I didn't like the real model or it wasn't yet out at the time, and I have never once had anyone have a problem with it when I asked before the game. Proxies are only really a problem when you use them because you're lazy, or you say things like "this space marine is Nicodem, and this gremlin is Mortimer, and this other gremlin is a canine remains" and stuff like that where it gets legit hard to remember what all your crap is. No one will really have a problem if you have an alternate gravedigger playing Mortimer though, in my experience. 

Keep in mind that the entire GG document is suggested guidelines. In an official Wyrd-run tournament, of which I am not aware of any, it would be the rules, but in anything else its up to the TO. Our local tournaments will likely relax the painting requirements for a while, for example, since we have a lot of new players and stuff takes time to paint. 

I have some proxies (a Reaper yeti for a Blessed, etc) becuase I didn't like the real model or it wasn't yet out at the time, and I have never once had anyone have a problem with it when I asked before the game. Proxies are only really a problem when you use them because you're lazy, or you say things like "this space marine is Nicodem, and this gremlin is Mortimer, and this other gremlin is a canine remains" and stuff like that where it gets legit hard to remember what all your crap is. No one will really have a problem if you have an alternate gravedigger playing Mortimer though, in my experience. 

Gencon would be the only "Official" event that we have heard about.  I keep hoping that one of these years Wyrd starts officially blessing other events as official but it has not happened yet.

Proxy and conversion rules really come down to two things.  First is acurately representing the model, which most people understand and do.  The Second, more controversal, is accuretly representing the game.  IE Tournament and events are adveritisements for Malifaux and Wyrd,  as a former Henchman I personally always felt that it meant that I had a duty to make sure the game people were playing and showing off was the game Wyrd sold.  Thus I was alwasy fine with people converting other Wyrd models into proxies but I didn't allow models outside of the Wyrd line.   

So to the point above,  Gaining Grounds is the best place for the "official" rules.  For non-official events check with your TO and if you can't for some reason your best bet is to have the real official model handy.

I am on the TO staff for the Nova Open wargaming convention, a big 700+ person event in DC every August, and we just added a couple of Malifaux events this year. We started out at a Warhammer 40k event and branched out into WarmaHordes, Infinity, Fantasy, X-Wing, and now Malifaux. Our general stance has been that the most important thing is that you opponent can clearly identify all of your models so they can tell the board state at a glance. That means using a Space Marine as guild guard is not going to fly, but your custom Union Army themed guild crew is probably okay as long as it is clear what everything represents.

Obviously at an official Wyrd event, they are going to want you to run their models (as several folks have said), but almost every event is going to be an independent TO event. As a general guideline, the "rule of cool" trumps.