M2E Marcus

dgraz

This a great topic, there really isn't a better way to learn and ask about Marcus than here with dgraz and sssk answering questions. :) If you really want to learn more about Marcus sssk has a really great blog as well, it's mainly focused on Marcus but has a lot of eye opening things about Malifaux in general and it's written in a way that you just can't stop reading. 

sssk has a really great blog as well, it's mainly focused on Marcus but has a lot of eye opening things about Malifaux in general and it's written in a way that you just can't stop reading. 

Yup, PLEASE just ignore the subliminal messages and keep reading. I just hope it doesn't SEND you crazy. It's purely a resource for good ol' team Marcus to learn quickly and earn COOKIES.

• Like 1

Shameless self promotion.

If you fancy joining Team Marcus, why not check out THE BIG COMPETITION at http://playitlikebeatdown.wordpress.com/2014/01/15/the-big-competition/

Win yourself a Marcus crew for merely enduring some random waffle on a blog.

This is last calls. Competition closes on...er....Friday....ish.

Cheers

Dave/sssk

Has anyone play-tested the Sow? From reading her stat card, I like her better than Sabretooth Cerberus, but I haven't field tested anything. Seems to me that you're getting a lot for your soulstones. You do, of course, lose Leap.

A question for Team Marcus: Has anyone found any fun overlap with Gremlins? You can hire both Hog Whisperers and Piglets, and while you don't have access to their full synergies, you do have access to Arcanist assets that you couldn't run with the little guys otherwise.

Not yet personally. There are so many great Marcus crew possibilities that I haven't gotten to the Gremlins yet. I'm dying to though.

The Wild Boars seem cool. You can deploy them close to the enemy line for some shenanigans first turn.....you can build a pretty fast crew for the second wave. The boars can keep the enemy for a turn or two while the rest of the team is getting ahead on strats/schemes....or just getting into position to follow the boars.

• 2 weeks later...

When would you use Canine Remains in a Marcus crew?

Always. They are cheap, quick, fairly durable objective-runners and blockers. 

I use Marcus a lot as a de-buffer. Using Feral, Law of Meat and/or Domesticate. So they're Trigger turning enemies into Beasts is a nice bonus....it's unlikely to go off, but nice when it does.

They also have some nice synergy with Myranda and the RSR. Myranda and the RSR give Poison automatically when they hit, and the K-9 can charge for (1) against models with Poison.

Now that Wave 2 is official, they will also make good teammates with Guild Hounds....since the K-9 is a Hound, they allow the Guild Hounds to ignore their Insignificance......so one is durable, one hits well....both are significant Minions. The K-9 can move 6" and drop a Scheme Marker near an enemy....allowing the Guild Hound to charge that enemy for a (1).

Tons of uses.

I've been using Moleman as objective grabbers and as a buff for Cojo with the scheme markers they drop to move around

I'll give the Canine Remains a try ...

PS I did not know that about the spoiler... I guess I should start reading the fluff LOL

P.S.S. Does anyone know if Canine Remains are getting a blister box in plastic?

I now have canine remains. Would this be more of a replacement to the molemen or can they work together? 

At the moment, I have the m2e Marcus box, molemen and Canine Remains. Would it be ok to have some help with list building?

They can work together. The dog has an excellent 6" Wk....so can run ahead and drop a Marker that Molemen can then jump to.

Not sure what you want for list building......Marcus can run very differently with different beast options. He can be quick and guerrilla style with RSR, Cerberus, Silurids.....or he can tank up with Cojo, Waldgeists..........Raptors, Night Terrors, K-9's and Guild Hounds are all great cheap distractions/blockers.

I suggest you check them all out....proxy some to test out on different strats/schemes and see what you like.

Read this thread and the blogs listed in the first post. There really is no 'easy button' for list building with Marcus.....he just has too many options. Now, if you have some specifics (what factions you face / what kind of terrain you normally play on / etc) I might be able to make some specific suggestions. 

I've added the Arcane effigy to my list of models, it works well against crews that like to dish out conditions. Is there a more efficient condition remover for Marcus' crew?

Johan is always a potential. He costs more, but is better all around. I usually don't stress over condition removal unless I KNOW I'm facing a lot of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit off the topic, but in line with the thread as a whole. I'd like to make an (only half-joking) appeal to the mods for a new Jackalope Upgrade:

Get Over Here, You Little Bastard!

Restriction: Jackalope

1 or 2 SS's

This upgrade can be attached to the Jackalope, ignoring Peon restrictions. If you hired a Jackalope at the beginning of the game with this upgrade, whenever it is summoned, also attach this upgrade.

Vicious Teeth: This model is is immune to the Slow and Paralyzed conditions.

AND/OR

Leaping About: This model may discard this upgrade to gain Fast and + :mask to its Ca actions until the end of the turn. If discarded this way, it cannot reattach this upgrade again for the rest of the encounter.

Basically, I want the little bugger to charge more than once in a game before dying. Anyone else feel the sentiment? Also, I refrained from making a (far too obvious) Holy Grail reference with the latter ability.

Bit off the topic, but in line with the thread as a whole. I'd like to make an (only half-joking) appeal to the mods for a new Jackalope Upgrade:

Get Over Here, You Little Bastard!

Restriction: Jackalope

1 or 2 SS's

This upgrade can be attached to the Jackalope, ignoring Peon restrictions. If you hired a Jackalope at the beginning of the game, whenever it is summoned, also attach this upgrade for the remainder of the game.

Vicious Teeth: This model is is immune to the Slow and Paralyzed conditions.

AND/OR

Leaping About: This model may discard this upgrade to gain Fast and + :mask to its Ca actions until the end of the turn.

Basically, I want the little bugger to charge more than once in a game before dying. Anyone else feel the sentiment? Also, I refrained from making a (far too obvious) Holy Grail reference with the latter ability.

Since this is more of a tactica/advice thread, a wish like this is probably something that should go in its own thread.

It would be nice if it had the built in Mask on Leap....or if it was easier to get off like the BoD.....and I did ask for that during PT. The lack of Unimpeded is also a bone of contention for me personally.

However, I really don't think he needs it. 'Before dying' is not really anything....considering he comes back. It may be a little more difficult to get the Charge after the first time he dies, but it does happen. Mine often charges at least two or three times in a game. But even if he doesn't, he is a decent little speed bump.....his high Df almost ensures that an enemy has to cheat to hit him....and if that happens two-three times in a game it's totally worth it (unless we're playing Reckoning...or the enemy has Make Them Suffer.....in which case, I don't take him anyway). And he is still a good Defend Me target....again, not much trouble considering he comes back.....but invaluable if Marcus gets hit by something brutal.

3 Weak damage is exceptional, and I think it would be a bit too much to expect him to be Charging often. You're suggesting that you pay more for the option, so that would be fine.....I'm just not sure it would be worth increasing his cost considering his other values.

Crap. The more I think about it, the more I like it. I'd pay 2ss for a Mask and immunity to Slow.

Unfortunately, I don't see it happening. It might be nice, but my thoughts above about his values are still accurate, so I don't think he needs it. 

Since this is more of a tactica/advice thread, a wish like this is probably something that should go in its own thread.

Crap. The more I think about it, the more I like it. I'd pay 2ss for a Mask and immunity to Slow.

1st point: Yep, sorry about that. It was just a fleeting thought, so I didn't think it deserved its own thing, but maybe I'll start one.

2nd point: I know, right? :D

Yep, I know he doesn't need it, and it's almost certainly not going to happen... but, but I want it!

• Like 1

That sounds like a pretty good start to me. The Razorspine is a nice flexible model, and in my humble opinion, 2 of them is never a bad choice. As seems to be a staple here, I'd say that molemen are also a super useful addition, though the current metal models often put people off (so don't get them if you don't like the models).

Marcus works really nicely with acolytes and Joss too, and fills in a lot of the gaps which Rasputina has (he's very fast and manouverable).

That sounds like a pretty good start to me. The Razorspine is a nice flexible model, and in my humble opinion, 2 of them is never a bad choice. As seems to be a staple here, I'd say that molemen are also a super useful addition, though the current metal models often put people off (so don't get them if you don't like the models).

Marcus works really nicely with acolytes and Joss too, and fills in a lot of the gaps which Rasputina has (he's very fast and manouverable).

Agree. Fine start. Also agree that there is nothing wrong with throwing Acolyte and/or Joss in there.

Also agree on Molemen......to get the best out of filling those 'fast and maneuverable' holes. Canine Remains are also a good choice for that.....or a Silurid. Not all of those things are needed, but I'd try to get one of them if you can.

Agree. Fine start. Also agree that there is nothing wrong with throwing Acolyte and/or Joss in there.

Also agree on Molemen......to get the best out of filling those 'fast and maneuverable' holes. Canine Remains are also a good choice for that.....or a Silurid. Not all of those things are needed, but I'd try to get one of them if you can.

Which one would u prefere?

I like a pair of molemen and a silurid for any scheme based game. 

Canines are a bit more all-purpose IMO, not focused on schemes but still fast enough to pull it off in a pinch. 

But Molemen are spectacular, if only because they're resilient and they have a reliable place out of melee.

Which one would u prefere?

They fill different roles really. Molemen are the best if you need to work around the center-line. But if you need to get to the enemy side....say for Power Ritual, or Break Through.....then a Silurid is my pick.

I totally agree with Decker.....one Silurid and two Molemen are fantastic. The Silurid can Leap ahead and drop a Scheme Marker which the Molemen can (0) jump to.

Also agree about K-9 being more multi-purpose. A 6" Wk is fantastic for Scheming, but they are fairly durable for a 4ss model, so can serve as a decent roadblock.....they also have the trigger that turns you into a Beast for the rest of the game......if I can cast Feral on an enemy master, then use Domesticate...the K-9's measly Melee skill of 4 has a great chance of getting through......now they're a beast every turn without having to waste the Feral Action....totally worth it.

I haven't had a chance to do it yet, but I'm looking forward to fielding K-9s and Guild Hounds together....K-9s for staying power, Guild Hounds for hitting power. The K-9 can walk 6" toward an enemy and drop a Scheme Marker, allowing the Guild Hound to Charge for (1)....and the K-9 has the 'Hound' trait, so the Guild Hounds lose Insignificant while near them.

Hey, I'm a new player and had a couple questions:

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that the molemen looked kinda funny, so can anyone tell me which beasts are already in plastic, or when any might be coming in the near future if known?

Are most of the models planned to be plastic in the near future?

Barring that are any other metal beast I should shy away from from a looks point of view?

If it's going to be a while before they are updated there's a good chance I'll get some of the older stuff anyway (including molemen), I just didn't want to settle for older models if they will be plastic in the near future, since it's easier to work with.

Now if I can just find someone willing to part with their canine remains from the McMourning set.  Hopefully they will sell them separately in the near future.

Just the box set stuff so far. And I thought the Dawn Serpent was either this month or next (and I thought I saw Hoarcats mentioned).....maybe pigs if Som'ers box is coming too (I don't recall......I don't really follow the gremlins). Other than that, I believe everything is eventually going plastic, but we have no idea what the release schedule looks like.