Any signs of Puppet Wars?

They wouldn't know. The expansion hasn't been mentioned, nor has there been any external playtesting that I've been aware of.

The expansion should at least include the following:

Masters - Marcus, Pandora

Sidekicks - Nino, Sebastian, Baby Kade, Joss, Lucius

Pawns (x3) - Guild Hound, Witchling Stalker, Guild Autopsy, Zombie Chihuahua, Ice Golem, Moleman, Sorrow, Mature Nephilim, Bad Juju, Gremlin, Piglet, Hog Whisperer, and maybe Teddy.

These are what is left from the original release. If they do expansions like the starter then I'm hoping for a third Master (Misaki?) and a new board (evil baby orphanage?) However, they could go the route Studio McVey has take with Sedition Wars, where they are releasing Arms of Sorrow, which is effectively the same as Battle for Alabaster (in that it can be treated as a starter set), but they are doing a mini, self-contained, expansion each for Firebrand and Bounty Dogs. Wyrd might release a set containg Master, Sidekicks and Pawns for one suit. But I haven't got a clue. All I want is for as many puppets as possible =]

Edited by ThePandaDirector

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They wouldn't know. The expansion hasn't been mentioned, nor has there been any external playtesting that I've been aware of.

Masters - Marcus, Pandora

Sidekicks - Nino, Sebastian, Baby Kade, Joss, Lucius

Pawns (x3) - Guild Hound, Witchling Stalker, Guild Autopsy, Zombie Chihuahua, Ice Golem, Moleman, Sorrow, Mature Nephilim, Bad Juju, Gremlin, Piglet, Hog Whisperer, and maybe Teddy.

These are what is left from the original release. If they do expansions like the starter then I'm hoping for a third Master (Misaki?) and a new board (evil baby orphanage?) However, they could go the route Studio McVey has take with Sedition Wars, where they are releasing Arms of Sorrow, which is effectively the same as Battle for Alabaster (in that it can be treated as a starter set), but they are doing a mini, self-contained, expansion each for Firebrand and Bounty Dogs. Wyrd might release a set containg Master, Sidekicks and Pawns for one suit. But I haven't got a clue. All I want is for as many puppets as possible =]

I'm in the same boat. When I first learned of Unstitched, I counted up the Puppets from the last round and found there were 44, so initially I thought we'd be getting one of everything. It'll be nice to have the full set for list building, but as I won't be a super competitive player, I'd have actually preferred one of everything.

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

I'm in the same boat. When I first learned of Unstitched, I counted up the Puppets from the last round and found there were 44, so initially I thought we'd be getting one of everything. It'll be nice to have the full set for list building, but as I won't be a super competitive player, I'd have actually preferred one of everything.

I do hope they'll have the steam to at least do another set to finish out what you guys had last time. I have to say on Boardgamegeek I am really surprised that Wyrd hasn't even added a version for the Unstitched edition. I understand the game might not appeal to everyone, but I think it would appeal to a lot more with better support there. When I get my copy, maybe I'll take it upon myself.

The game will reach a whole new level with an expansion, because it thrives on variety. It's great that multiples are now accessible, but once you have access to all those extra different puppets then things get really groovy =]

Also I'm a Marcus player, so I'm chomping at the bit waiting for his awesome plastic debut =D

Almost finished my review of PW... It's long...

In that case you'll probably be both happy and disappointed with Puppet Wars: Unstitched. The puppets are simpler, but aren't as bland as they were in the Beta (which effectively reduced them to bare stat lines), while Upgrades are better than they were in both versions.

My review is currently over 2000 words... Time to edit =D

Ok i'm really confused now, i read on an earlier thread that the beta rules are on the Puppet Wars website, however what i read on the website is still the same rules that i've still got.

One of the rules changes you spoke about Panda, is that scrounge can be done anywhere (for friendly upgrades) but on the website it still has the old rules of scrounge (from work benches only).

What i'm confused about is that i'm told the beta rules are up, but when i read them, they aren't the rules as you have described them.

@Pinocchio: As far as attaching upgrades, there are three main points:

1) Every puppet has the Scrounge action, which allows them to attach an upgrade from your scrap heap anywhere on the board. They ignore the Attachment Difficulty, but not the Necessary Characteristics (No Master, etc).

2) Every puppet also has the What Pretty Buttons You Have action, which allows them to Tear Apart an adjacent friendly puppet and immediately attach its upgrade (if suitable). They don't have to pay the Attachment Difficulty and the action does not cause an Exhaustion Counter to be placed.

3) Finally, when a puppet Tears Apart an enemy puppet, they may immediately attempt to attach the Torn Apart puppet's upgrade. They have to pay the Attachment Difficulty as "normal".

There is no mention of being able to steal upgrades from your opponent's scrap heap, so you have to win them through combat (which puts ranged puppets at a slight disadvantage). I have mixed feelings about this change, as I think it both makes attaching upgrades easier (good), but sort of invalidates Attachment Difficulty (bad). I have designed a house rule, which I personally really like. I'll probably post it.

• 3 weeks later...

Teddy.

If they do expansions like the starter then I'm hoping for a third Master and a new board

The mini-expansion you propose would have 2 Masters, 5 Sidekicks, and 3x12 Pawns, plus Teddy = 44 models - same as the current starter. I'm good with that, but it's not any smaller than Unstitched. It's really more of an alternative starter.

Definitely need at least Teddy in any expansion for how hard they were to get in metal. I am not happy that they were so rare - someone who bought all 4 of the expansions should have gotten at least one.

With basically a full starter's worth of models, a different-shaped board would be nice, perhaps 12" x 18", to enable different scenarios.

The mini-expansion you propose would have 2 Masters, 5 Sidekicks, and 3x12 Pawns, plus Teddy = 44 models - same as the current starter. I'm good with that, but it's not any smaller than Unstitched. It's really more of an alternative starter.

That would definitely be a sizeable expansion, though I like the idea of marketing it as an "alternate starter" (perhaps with some additional goodies like a different board). To reduce costs though (and make everything a bit more palatable for new players) offering themed expansions with only 1 master, 2 Sidekicks and 6 (x3 of each) Pawns is probably a better way to go.

Definitely need at least Teddy in any expansion for how hard they were to get in metal. I am not happy that they were so rare - someone who bought all 4 of the expansions should have gotten at least one.

It was definitely disheartening to purchase the Base Game and 6 of each Pawn pack plus the Multiplayer expansion and only get one teddy randomly. At least I was able to get two of the Teddy Packs when they were released on the web store as a promotion.

Teddy is such a fun part of the game. I really wish there were rules to field a bigger version of teddy once he adds a few Heart Patches.

With basically a full starter's worth of models, a different-shaped board would be nice, perhaps 12" x 18", to enable different scenarios.

Terraclips are great for this. Some of my favorite games were "exploratory" missions in Zoraida's house. We even added a house rule for going up or down stairs that made things even more interesting. If you haven't tried it I would highly recommend it.

2 mini-expansions or an alternate starter (with rules & board)?

Personally, I'm of a mind for the alternate starter, simply because it opens the door for a completely different board, and it's less total boxes of stuff to deal with. As a 2-player game, each player could have a rulebook for reference.