Does Catalyst Stack?

Coyotebreaks

Question

Hi,

Im new to the forum and new to the game. I have started a resurectionist crew with McMourning as the Master. Anyway quick question, does the catalyst ability stack, so as in if there is model near McMourning and Sebastian, they take two dame for the poison condition instead of one?

It seems to read that it does not stack, but when I looking though the tactica on pull my finger it says thatMcMourning could use push ability on the plastic surgery upgrade twice if Sebastian is nearby.

So now I'm not so sure. 

Cheers for any help.

11 answers to this question

59 minutes ago, Coyotebreaks said:

Hi,

Im new to the forum and new to the game. I have started a resurectionist crew with McMourning as the Master. Anyway quick question, does the catalyst ability stack, so as in if there is model near McMourning and Sebastian, they take two dame for the poison condition instead of one?

It seems to read that it does not stack, but when I looking though the tactica on pull my finger it says thatMcMourning could use push ability on the plastic surgery upgrade twice if Sebastian is nearby.

So now I'm not so sure. 

Cheers for any help.

If you begijn your activation within 8" of 1 or more models with this ability that you suffer 1 damage and lower your poison by 1. 

So no it doesn't stack, because the effect applies to 1 or more. 

But it doesn't stop poison also  happening at the end of the turn. So pull my finger means you get the push when McMornign activates near Sebastian, and then again at the end of the turn. 

2 minutes ago, Jernmajoren said:

Have a question about Catalyst as well..

The Catalyst ability states "Catalyst: Other models with the Poison Condition which begin their activation within :aura8 of one or more with this ability..."

My question is:

Doesn't the initial exclusion mentioned in the Catalyst ability make McMourning and Sebastian immune to the Catalyst abilities of other models.

For example your own or opponents McMourning or Sebastian, since they are always affected by their own Catalyst ability and thus is always under the "Other models" exemption in the ability?

No. It just means they aren't affected buy their own catalyst. when you activate McMorning, you can read the Sebastian catalyst and McMorning is an "other model with the poison condition..." for Sebastian

10 hours ago, Adran said:

If you begijn your activation within 8" of 1 or more models with this ability that you suffer 1 damage and lower your poison by 1. 

So no it doesn't stack, because the effect applies to 1 or more. 

But it doesn't stop poison also  happening at the end of the turn. So pull my finger means you get the push when McMornign activates near Sebastian, and then again at the end of the turn. 

cool thanks for clarifying 

Have a question about Catalyst as well..

The Catalyst ability states "Catalyst: Other models with the Poison Condition which begin their activation within :aura8 of one or more with this ability..."

My question is:

Doesn't the initial exclusion mentioned in the Catalyst ability make McMourning and Sebastian immune to the Catalyst abilities of other models.

For example your own or opponents McMourning or Sebastian, since they are always affected by their own Catalyst ability and thus is always under the "Other models" exemption in the ability?

7 minutes ago, Adran said:

No. It just means they aren't affected buy their own catalyst. when you activate McMorning, you can read the Sebastian catalyst and McMorning is an "other model with the poison condition..." for Sebastian

This also leads to the models effectively being affected by their own Catalyst aura as well if there is another model on the table with the ability.

5 hours ago, Adran said:

cool thanks :)

Hopefully they will put it in the FAQ some time, as a new player I found it to decide either way, and undoubtedly others will too.. 

5 hours ago, Myyrä said:

This also leads to the models effectively being affected by their own Catalyst aura as well if there is another model on the table with the ability.

I'm kind of working through this out loud to see if it makes sense.

You've got McMourning and Sebastian.
They are both in play and more than 8 inches apart.
McMouring has the Poison condition.
McMourning activates.

It would appear that McMourning qualifies as an "Other model with the Poison Condition" for Sebastian's Catalyst and McMourning is within 8 inches of one or or more models with Catalyst (himself). It seems like he's met all of the conditions for Catalyst to trigger its effect and would take a point of damage and reduce the value of the condition by one. 

37 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

I'm kind of working through this out loud to see if it makes sense.

You've got McMourning and Sebastian.
They are both in play and more than 8 inches apart.
McMouring has the Poison condition.
McMourning activates.

It would appear that McMourning qualifies as an "Other model with the Poison Condition" for Sebastian's Catalyst and McMourning is within 8 inches of one or or more models with Catalyst (himself). It seems like he's met all of the conditions for Catalyst to trigger its effect and would take a point of damage and reduce the value of the condition by one. 

Yup. Poorly worded rule. Most people just play it the way it was obviously intended. Otherwise guard sergeants give themselves a wk buff as long as you have two.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Yup. Poorly worded rule. Most people just play it the way it was obviously intended. Otherwise guard sergeants give themselves a wk buff as long as you have two.

So do people treat a model with Catalyst as immune to Catalyst or do they ignore that the model has Catalyst when it is the model itself that is activating? 

5 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

So do people treat a model with Catalyst as immune to Catalyst or do they ignore that the model has Catalyst when it is the model itself that is activating? 

They play it like it takes damage if it activates in the aura of another model with catalyst but not when it activates alone. At least everyone I ever played.

18 hours ago, WWHSD said:

It's pretty difficult question really. The wording is fairly unambigious, but it doesn't seem to work as intended. Doesn't usually matter that much, so I'll just agree something with my opponent before the game.