Models/expanding for the coven

Sir Andersen

Beginner. Starting out with Neverborn. Have a few bits from playing a little way back in 1E and taking over some stuff from a friend (as he has been seduced by the Outcasts and Guild instead)

So for now I'm playing the coven. That is, the Mother, the Crone and the Maiden. Lilith, Zoraida and Pandora.

My current collection consists of the following:

M2E Lilith box

M1E Lilith box

M2E Pandora box

M2E Zoraida box

Lelu

Lilitu

Teddy

2 Young Nephilim

1 Black Blood Shaman

Looking to gradually expand my collection. There are some pretty obvious models that are just PERFECT with one of the coven. But what about generalists? Any models that are pretty well worth while no matter which of these 3 witches I'm fieldling? I'm thinking Tuco (for some very welcome ranged harassment) and Hooded Rider would both be welcome in any of their crews, but what else should I be on the lookout for.

I wouldn't advise getting Tuco as he is in one of the most competitive price brackets in the faction, and is considerably worse than an illuminated, Lilitu or doppleganger. If you really need ranged support, I would suggest the Freikorps tracker. I would probably go with wisps, madnesses, widow weaver and either nekima or a mature neph.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, catbat07 said:

I wouldn't advise getting Tuco as he is in one of the most competitive price brackets in the faction, and is considerably worse than an illuminated, Lilitu or doppleganger. If you really need ranged support, I would suggest the Freikorps tracker. I would probably go with wisps, madnesses, widow weaver and either nekima or a mature neph.

Yeah, my main thought with Tuco was "damn it, why do neverborn have NO ranged? I'm sick of getting bullied at range until I can close". I can say right away that I will NOT be picking up any Illuminated since those will come naturally somewhere down the line when (not if! when!) I pick up Jakob Lynch.

I already have a mature nephilim (it was in Lilith's old starter instead of Barbie), although I'm unhappy with the colour I painted him and I want the new young nephilim anyway so at one point or another I will be picking up the new nephilim set as well. Which I guess means that I'll eventually end up with 2 matures. Which means I should really learn to play Grow sometime.

I see wisps mentioned a couple of times. They are, of course, fantastic with Zoraida for burping out voodoo dolls, but what do you guys feel they offer to Lilith and Pandora?

I was about to ask the same for the Madnesses, but now that I think of it all 3 of the coven really like to target wp, so that one is fairly obvious.

As I already have 3 50mm heavies (Mature, Teddy and Juju. I'm not counting the poltergeist in this, obviously) let's narrow it down to 1 (at least for the first buying spree) in that category. What would I be best off getting then? Rider, Emmisary or Nekima?

I see Doppelgangers thrown around a lot on these forums (and elsewhere) and I don't get it. What makes it so great? Sure it can copy an attack, but at the price it feels super squishy. 

Waldgiest for zoraida and lilith.

Wisps for Pandora make both sorrows and the poltergeist more attractive.

Iggy for Zoraida and Pandora.

Widow weaver will make Pandora's happy and will work well with doll factory Zoraida which is more of a direction to consider when you pick up Collodi.

@Trixter: Unfortunately, I can't because I don't own models so I don't use them. I can tell you how other Neverborn players I know (over)use them. Mainly as a gunline with one (or two) Freikorps Trappers. I've seen both big Gunlines (3 Changelings, 2 Trappers, Doppelganger) and the small ones (2-3 'lings, one Trapper, Doppel being busy elsewhere). Sometimes they take Lilitu or other pushing/luring model to generate free 14" shots thanks to Surprise! We're shooting faction now, apparently. Less frequently they use Changelings as point fillers - their AP are used to drop Scheme Markers (drop-blink-drop) or to make opportunistic attacks. The trio also make a great countermeasure against Zipp. They're used with Pandora, Collodi, Lilith and Dreamer. Usually they're not used with Lynch (last master using Terror Tots in my area). Mysterious Emissary is viewed as the weakest one, so no summoning. 

12 hours ago, Sir Andersen said:

Yeah, my main thought with Tuco was "damn it, why do neverborn have NO ranged? I'm sick of getting bullied at range until I can close".

The answer here is McTavish. Best fitting in a Zoraida crew. Either way, McT plus Dopplegänger and you have 2 ranged units that will stand toe to toe with most sniper crews.