Returning player with 1e models.

Gloom

On March 26, 2017 at 9:30 PM, Gloom said:

I don't think this is a good game for people with faction A.D.D.  Even in MMOs I'm an ALTaholic. :lol:

Nonsense.  The light plastic models are perfect for those situations where you can't decide which faction to bring, so you pack everything.  B)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, solkan said:

Nonsense.  The light plastic models are perfect for those situations where you can't decide which faction to bring, so you pack everything.  B)

That was easy in 2009, but there are so many models now, and the factions are so big! :o

1 hour ago, Gloom said:

That was is easy in 2009, but there are so many models now, and the factions are so big! :o

Due to personal indecision, about twenty crew boxes (spread between Arcanists, Guild, Ten Thunders, Outcasts, and Neverborn) worth of models fits in two 19 gallon (2' x 1.5' by 13') storage boxes in foam trays.  I wouldn't want to walk to the game store carrying that, but I know I can carry it from a hotel parking lot to a convention hall.

I think a 40k army (a single one) was around 19 gallons worth of foam the last I played.

So, okay, I think I exaggerated a little.  If you had absolutely everything for every faction, you'd probably have to choose between which boxes to bring each day.  :mellow:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, solkan said:

Due to personal indecision, about twenty crew boxes (spread between Arcanists, Guild, Ten Thunders, Outcasts, and Neverborn) worth of models fits in two 19 gallon (2' x 1.5' by 13') storage boxes in foam trays.  I wouldn't want to walk to the game store carrying that, but I know I can carry it from a hotel parking lot to a convention hall.

I think a 40k army (a single one) was around 19 gallons worth of foam the last I played.

So, okay, I think I exaggerated a little.  If you had absolutely everything for every faction, you'd probably have to choose between which boxes to bring each day.  :mellow:

You're definitely right, even if exaggerated - it's still very true.  I don't do GW, but I can't imagine having faction ADD in any of their games!  Not even WM/H - Malifaux seems more manageable.

• Like 1

Okay.

Don't get me wrong. I WANT lots of models - I love Molly and Kirai's models, stories, and playstyles, I adore the ninja Misaki of the Ten Thunders, and Nellie's reporters are delightful sirens beckoning me to the Guild.

But I've gotta be the responsible Henchman/adult. Filling out my Neverborn and Arcanists first, THEN dipping into Ressers/Outcasts/Guild is the sensible thing to do.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2017 at 8:52 PM, Gloom said:

Hello,

I started to play this game when it was really new, back in 2010, and was torn away by life circumstances.  Now that I am able to return, I see there's a 2e rulebook and the miniatures are sold in box sets.  Are my first edition models useless?  I ask because I can't find "parts/singles" to make a complete box set.

For example:
I have Pandora & 3 Sorrows, which were sold together back then, but had to buy Candy and Baby Kade separate.  To have the complete box set now, I'd have to find the Poltergeist on its own.  I checked the store, but couldn't find a lone Poltergeist for sale.
Same with my Nicodem box set.  I have Nicodem, Mortimer, and 3 (Samurai) Punk Zombies, but no totem for Nicodem.

Any advice is appreciated.

Its a little past this part of the discussion but,

I had the metal Nico when the Vulture became hard to come by.  As he wasn't painted yet, I carefully carved the small vulture off of his arm, did a little sculpting/carving on the arm, mounted the vulture on a cross on a grave, voila! totem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MudgeBlack said:

Its a little past this part of the discussion but,

I had the metal Nico when the Vulture became hard to come by.  As he wasn't painted yet, I carefully carved the small vulture off of his arm, did a little sculpting/carving on the arm, mounted the vulture on a cross on a grave, voila! totem.

Pow!  What a great idea!  Is that legal for "official" play?

3 hours ago, iamfanboy said:

Okay.

Don't get me wrong. I WANT lots of models - I love Molly and Kirai's models, stories, and playstyles, I adore the ninja Misaki of the Ten Thunders, and Nellie's reporters are delightful sirens beckoning me to the Guild.

But I've gotta be the responsible Henchman/adult. Filling out my Neverborn and Arcanists first, THEN dipping into Ressers/Outcasts/Guild is the sensible thing to do.

I made the mistake of watching a youtube video talking about the factions and their strengths, weaknesses, why you'd play them/not play them, etc. and I pretty much wanted to try them all; no surprise there.  When I started collecting, it was all Neverborn and Necromancy (Resurrectionists), and there were a few Gremlins I wanted to pick up because I thought they were funny.  Now, I'm screwed.  I like Neverborn still, Arcanists, Gremlins, Ressers, and the list goes on... :(

On another trading site, someone offered the Queen/Titania box set for some of my WM/H I'm getting rid of... her play style seems interesting, and the models are cool.

3 minutes ago, Gloom said:

You can check conversion & proxy rules in the Gaining Grounds 2017 document, found under "Organized Play Formats" on Wyrd's website: https://www.wyrd-games.net/resources

Short of it is so long as the converted piece is at least 66% self made/original Wyrd sculpt, it's good. From MudgeBlack's description I'm guessing it fulfilled the requirement.

I'd say it's still good to always check it with a TO beforehand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gloom said:

I assume that it is ( I would allow it ), but I don't play a lot of tournaments (I'm usually the one running them, and mine are very low key).  It complies with the 66% Wyrd rule and it would be hard to not recognize it for what it counts as.  I would check with the TO to be sure and as always, make sure your opponent is clear on it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gloom said:

I made the mistake of watching a youtube video talking about the factions and their strengths, weaknesses, why you'd play them/not play them, etc. and I pretty much wanted to try them all; no surprise there.  When I started collecting, it was all Neverborn and Necromancy (Resurrectionists), and there were a few Gremlins I wanted to pick up because I thought they were funny.  Now, I'm screwed.  I like Neverborn still, Arcanists, Gremlins, Ressers, and the list goes on... :(

On another trading site, someone offered the Queen/Titania box set for some of my WM/H I'm getting rid of... her play style seems interesting, and the models are cool.

I can relate, I have anywhere from 3 to 7 masters from each of the 7 factions (total of 28 masters).   Too hard to decide on one.   Too many models, and I am behind on the latest wave.  Ooh, shiney, gotta go grab that....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MudgeBlack said:

I can relate, I have anywhere from 3 to 7 masters from each of the 7 factions (total of 28 masters).   Too hard to decide on one.   Too many models, and I am behind on the latest wave.  Ooh, shiney, gotta go grab that....

Totally!  (wow, 3-7 masters per faction! :o )  LOL

How do you know which models will work well together?  By reading the forums and info-sites, it seems like - for example - an Arcanist Master can use any model in the faction, but some masters work better with some faction models than others, etc.

I'm afraid if I just start buying and painting what I like - even in the same faction - I'll end up with uber weak combos, no synergy at all, or unplayable trash.  :-fate:huh:

15 minutes ago, Gloom said:

I'm afraid if I just start buying and painting what I like - even in the same faction - I'll end up with uber weak combos, no synergy at all, or unplayable trash.  :-fate:huh:

It's super unlikely for that to happen imo! The balance isn't perfect so some models are better than others and some combinations work better than others but it's quite difficult to make a crew that will actively lose you the game unless you're trying to*. A lot of the basic combos and synergies are quite intuitive! For example, you mentioned Arcanists, and it's quite obvious from some of the masters' cards what to focus on, for example Marcus has lots of interactions with Beasts so you want to take Beasts, and Rasputina has interactions with Frozen Heart models, so you take them. Over time you'll be able to see which of those models achieve what, and then what you feel like you're lacking, so you can pick up some different models.

*e.g. if you build a crew with no damage in Reckoning where you score points off killing enemies you will probably lose, but it's pretty obvious that you should be able to kill things when the objective is to kill things, and if you build a crew where you're trying to kill things you're not going to lose just because you made a bad crew.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dogmantra said:

For example, you mentioned Arcanists, and it's quite obvious from some of the masters' cards what to focus on, for example Marcus has lots of interactions with Beasts so you want to take Beasts, and Rasputina has interactions with Frozen Heart models, so you take them. Over time you'll be able to see which of those models achieve what, and then what you feel like you're lacking, so you can pick up some different models.

So let's say I bought the Beacon of Knowledge box set.  I now have his card and the cards of the others in the box, and I can read/understand what they do; however, when I start looking at other Arcanist models to purchase, I don't have their cards so I don't know what they do and how they'd fit with Sandeep.  Perhaps he's not a good example, because he has a Genie/Indian theme and there's a box set of guards that look similar to him out now, so let me pick something more ambiguous (to me).

I really like some of the undead (Resurrectionist) models - crooligans, the hanged, the drowned, Penangalan, etc. so I could start there, but then I'm not sure which Master to get.

I thought about asking in the faction specific forums, but my interests and likes seemed too broad.  I thought about looking in the literature for the card-stats, but I think I'd have to buy every book to see every card. :(

1 hour ago, Gloom said:

So let's say I bought the Beacon of Knowledge box set.  I now have his card and the cards of the others in the box, and I can read/understand what they do; however, when I start looking at other Arcanist models to purchase, I don't have their cards so I don't know what they do and how they'd fit with Sandeep.  Perhaps he's not a good example, because he has a Genie/Indian theme and there's a box set of guards that look similar to him out now, so let me pick something more ambiguous (to me).

I really like some of the undead (Resurrectionist) models - crooligans, the hanged, the drowned, Penangalan, etc. so I could start there, but then I'm not sure which Master to get.

I thought about asking in the faction specific forums, but my interests and likes seemed too broad.  I thought about looking in the literature for the card-stats, but I think I'd have to buy every book to see every card. :(

I got in to 2nd edition was it was only two books (Malifaux M2E and Crossroads), and then another book each year didn't feel as bad.  But, yeah, the books are a bit of a stumbling block if you don't have anyone else to borrow from.  Especially at the $45/book printed costs.  On the other hand, the PDF versions are only $28 each, so you're looking at $112 for the four PDFs compared to $180 for the four books as softcovers.  Is approximately the cost of two crew boxes too severe a price to have all of the cards available for reference?  (Again, disclaimer:  It doesn't feel nearly as bad buying the books one at a time...)

Then again, you don't need to get all of the books at once.  The Pull My Finger wiki is pretty good for an overview of the models from the first three books, to the point where I've been at a store and based purchasing decisions on "Oh, that's which model that is.  Okay, I want it" after checking the wiki, but there really aren't any write ups for the models in book four.

I guess the question is how risk averse you are about buying models that you're not going to like using.  If you're incredibly risk averse, then it's going to be worth the money to buy the four PDFs for the reference material, and try out all of the models before you buy them.  Get some blank bases, print out the cards from the books, and find out which models you like.

• Like 1

There is a huge catch-em-all aspect to this game. Started out with just a few models because I wanted to paint them; now I've got 43/47(?) masters (just missing four or the wave 4 ones), most of the individual boxes, and quite a few doubles/nightmare editions and old metals... It started as a small sideshow, but has quickly taken over my hobby completely... :-)

T.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gloom said:

How do you know which models will work well together?  By reading the forums and info-sites, it seems like - for example - an Arcanist Master can use any model in the faction, but some masters work better with some faction models than others, etc.

Even that 3-7 master per faction is low for some of us...

Sometimes, even reading the cards you don't know what models go well together. Sometimes models that people tell you go well together, just don't work for you. 

Reading the cards helps, reading pull my finger helps, reading/watching forums and battle reports to see how otehr peopel use them helps, but none of them are 100%.

The only real answer is to find out for your self by trying. Buying and painting just what you like will almost certainly not end up with models that will not work together all of the time. I am one of the people that mix and matches with in a faction more than most, and will play just about all models from a faction at some time or another in tournaments, and get results with them. 

My advice is to buy some stuff, play with it, see what you feel you are missing. Things like "I seem to lose all my models really early", or "I can't get enough scheme  markers down to score points ", or just, "my opponent seems to shoot me to death before I can get to him" are the sort of thing that you can look to buy models to fill those holes. there will be several different answers that do what you want so you can still pick and choose what you like the best. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gloom said:

If there's a local player base you could ask someone to let you go through their books for stat cards. Pullmyfinger is usually good enough if you don't insist on knowing every little stat line.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gloom said:

Personally I tend to compose my crews with "what I just got painted" and "that looks entertaining".  Needless to say, I am not what you would call a competitive player, I enjoy the process more than the end result (winning is great but not what drives me).

I generally tell people, pick a box you like the look of, paint'em up, play'em, learn the box, then expand from there.  If I like the look of models, I enjoy playing/painting them.  If I don't like the look/theme/fluff I don't enjoy them, no matter how good they are on the table.  I'd say, just start small.

If you ever get out California way, you are welcome to try out any crews I have. : )

• Like 1

On 3/30/2017 at 9:35 AM, MudgeBlack said:

Personally I tend to compose my crews with "what I just got painted" and "that looks entertaining".  Needless to say, I am not what you would call a competitive player, I enjoy the process more than the end result (winning is great but not what drives me).

I generally tell people, pick a box you like the look of, paint'em up, play'em, learn the box, then expand from there.  If I like the look of models, I enjoy playing/painting them.  If I don't like the look/theme/fluff I don't enjoy them, no matter how good they are on the table.  I'd say, just start small.

If you ever get out California way, you are welcome to try out any crews I have. : )

I think we have this in common.  Rarely do I "like" a model/faction because it's a 'winner'; rather, it's the look of the mini, or their story line that makes me a believer.  That said, it's kinda sucky that Malifaux has so many cool looking minis! :o

Sandeep's box looks pretty cool, as does Collodi, and then some of the beasts and undead type creatures (Penangalan) look pretty awesome.... then there's Gremlins!  I mean, who doesn't want to launch a pig across the board? :D

On 3/29/2017 at 10:59 PM, solkan said:

[...] the PDF versions are only $28 each, so you're looking at $112 for the four PDFs compared to $180 for the four books as softcovers.  Is approximately the cost of two crew boxes too severe a price to have all of the cards available for reference?

This is a really good point, and now that I have a quality tablet I could probably pull them up and read them when I'm not at my PC as well.

Just so I'm clear - to get all the fluff, cards, rules, scenarios, and whatever else, it would be 4 books total; basically, everything printed that's "Malifaux 2e"?

Yep.

M2e Rulebook, Crossroads, Shifting Loyalties, Ripples of Fate.

...Well, to get ALL THE FLUFF you'd have to download the few dozen free Chronicles PDFs, purchase several Through the Breach RPG supplements and who knows what else. And I'm sure once The Other Side gets released it's going to have some fluff in its rulebook as well.

Edited by Nikodemus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gloom said:

This is a really good point, and now that I have a quality tablet I could probably pull them up and read them when I'm not at my PC as well.

Just so I'm clear - to get all the fluff, cards, rules, scenarios, and whatever else, it would be 4 books total; basically, everything printed that's "Malifaux 2e"?

For all of the -current- cards, and rules and scenarios, yeah.

The stories in the book continue off from where 1st edition left off.  You can either listen to those stories on the Breachside podcast, or the four 1st edition PDFs are about $7 each.  

There's more background detail in the RPG books, and adventures, too, but that's beyond what you need to understand the wargame.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, solkan said:

There's more background detail in the RPG books, and adventures, too, but that's beyond what you need to understand the wargame.

Oh there's an RPG? :o   That's dangerous (for me).  LOL