Mancha Roja, when to take him?

MalifauxMartin

He gets much, much stronger if you can give him a way to be on straight or better damage flips. 2/5/6 is a pretty painful damage track if you're always flipping damage at :-fates. I should probably try him with Brewmaster to use Swill or with Zoraida to hire in Papa Loco to give him "Hold This!". Not done that yet tho.

His (0) that makes you have to take a test everytime you target something else than him rocks in a scheme pool with accusation in it. activate him early, slap some models around, do the (0) and see your opponent trying to accuse your other models wasting cards/actions doing it. 

I've ran him once or twice with sparks and not much hits harder than a mancha roja with a extra gremlin + fast... although, he's at 12SS with the upgrade, That's like getting Franc together with a slop hauler in stones, so I am not sure if it's really worth it. 

I've considered taking him whenever I fear facing masters who can bring a big unkillable blob of models and dominate the center of the table(hoffman comes to mind) and play around with him paralysing models etc. 

last but not least: Condition removal with mud toss... although Mctavish is also a solid choice for that.(it's debatable how often you need it in a gremlin crew however)

5 hours ago, Eorek said:

last but not least: Condition removal with mud toss... although Mctavish is also a solid choice for that.(it's debatable how often you need it in a gremlin crew however)

Never a bad thing to have the option of course! I've definitely wished I had it more often than regretted bringing it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dogmantra said:

Never a bad thing to have the option of course! I've definitely wished I had it more often than regretted bringing it.

Indeed, If I ever take mancha or mctavish I always try and find the ss for taking it, especially vs ressers... hanged condition of no healing is nasty vs a gremlin crew where your big models rely on getting a heal or two. 

Also I havent tried it... but it might be a nasty suprise for a asami tanaka player who hasn't taken the upgrade that makes flicker unremovable. 
"Her absolutely badass pair of two Jorogumo puts themselves in position to absolutely destroy a few models next turn. 'nope' - Mancha Roja throwing mud at them"Offensive Condition removal is not what people(atleast in my meta) have come to expect from gremlins.. and summoners want every singel extra soul stone they can get. 

Another combo I can think of would be using the pigapult to throw forward burt and franc and then use mancha to remove their paralysis, haven't gone into depth with that play as it would require quite some setup. 

I think he is amazing.

As Conor said with Zoraida giving him easy access to paralyse he can stomp around the place instant killing things on crows. There is no card/stone discard, it's just if you are paralysed after damaging kill the model. Main issue I found with that crew is that it relied to heavily on Mancha. Now with the First Mate option to I think it could have some real legs.

Min damage two is not great, but moderate 5 is amazing. With access to rams he can put out very reliable damage because of the pos per ram. I find it's often just worth stoning to get the pos damage too. This being said, I generally would err away from using him with Ressers for other options, depending on the crew build.

Another model that people don't like I am afraid, but he also likes the lucky effigy. If the effigy puts up his 'hit me' aura and Mancha the same with challenge then enemy models have to take WP duels regardless of who they target, which is a bit swish. 

I don't like the condition removal though. Most of the time your big models are the ones you want to get the condition off, not for helping out someone else! 

• Like 2

He's one of my favorites.  He's always with Mah.  I've been meaning to bring him with Zipp, too.  In a Zipp crew, Mancha has a charge of 12" pretty much any time you need it.  Just drop Noxious Smoke next to him when he needs to haul ass, and ass will be hauled.

I tend to forget about his second (0) action, but challenge is always nice.  Especially if you're running with Old Cranky.  They take the challenge in order to target Cranky, or they target Mancha while he's on :+fate defense.

18 minutes ago, Four_N_Six said:

He's one of my favorites.  He's always with Mah.

50 minutes ago, ProximoCoal said:

Min damage two is not great, but moderate 5 is amazing. With access to rams he can put out very reliable damage because of the pos per ram.

This is why the Lenny errata makes me a sad panda :c

Mah + Mancha + Lenny was a fun combo and yeah it nearly all still works, but I find it a little harder to justify Lenny with Mah now he doesn't let her get off her charge without stoning. Still, Lenny + Mancha Roja is an easy way to get those straight damage flips off regardless of master, and it's not like Mah does nothing for the pair of them (+1 Ml potentially, pushes). It's a nice combo to use with Zoraida too, since she can bring in a Nurse, and the Nurse can full heal either of them with no downside (as long as Mancha Roja discards the right card for 1000 masks).

• Like 1

Thanks for all the tips and thoughts. Plenty to think about.

I used MR for the 1st time with Zoraida on club night (1ST time for her too).

Have to say, paralysing the shadow emissary via voodoo doll and nurse, then deleting it with MR was pretty amazing. So amazing in fact that I kept on doing it to other beefy models until MR got taken down late turn 4. And using obey to get him in position for a super charge was useful too.

Definitely going to start dropping him into other crews to see what the big guy can do. I think he could get a lot of work done with Brewmaster...