New 2017 Schemes very crew specific?

Erik1978

I've had a handful of games with the 2017 schemes now (yes I do have a very nice home made scheme deck put on old magic cards) ;)

A scheme like "Dig Their Graves" which requires you to kill enemies while they are within 4" of at least 1 friendly scheme marker seems quite easy for some crews, like Colette, Reva, and perhaps Parker while more normal Masters without as much scheme shenanigans can find it very tough to get a scheme marker up close before the kill? Maybe not even "easy" for Colette etc but just less hard.

Am I the only one thinking this? So far I've tried this scheme twice and never have any of my opponents chosen this scheme. Just like Last Stand seems to be among the lesser used?

One advantage I see, is the fact that a Crew that pours out scheme markers left and right, might have any of a handful of schemes, it can be hard to guess which is in play (depending on the 5 available ones of course).

I like "Recover Evidence" which is a bit different from previous schemes, and playing it cool can mean they are placed very close to your models.

I've played maybe 60/40 Shenlong/Misaki this year and plan to Single Master Misaki for a while now. I wouldn't rate Misaki as particularly marker prone master and I've been playing her without Sensei Yu's marker tricks. Haven't had issues with Dig Their Graves so far. If I really want that immediate kill I can use accomplice/companion models to do so. All factions have at least an effigy for accomplice shenanigans, at least a few factions have companion beaters like Francisco, Francois etc and murder masters can always interact-charge something nearby. That said I don't think you need chain activations for this scheme. I mainly pick this if we're doing Extraction or Guard the Stash since I know the general area of where the enemy will be.

That's all just first impressions like yours, of course. Might be another month or two of active playing will change my mind.

I'm with you on Last Stand. I've seen it in the pool several times but I've never picked it since I just can't see how to pick it and score anywhere near 10VP. Haven't had a chance to pick Recover Evidence yet but I so love the look of that scheme.

• Like 1

4" isn't that close either, it's not like you are going to need "Don't mind me" to place the marker. And using an AP to place a marker to get a VP is what you would expect, and unless the opponent is hiding all his models in a corner you probably don't need to travel as far as for many other scheme marker schemes.

I think having a suitable strategy where you either need to congregate somewhere or are killing each other anyway has as much effect on Dig their graves than having special scheme marker talents.

For what it's worth:

Played in a 3 Round GG '17 Tournament this weekend. (Finished 8/16) There were some very experienced players there and the most VP anyone scored over 3 games was 23.

I think the overall difficulty of scoring has gone up so I expect average VP earned per game to go down this year.