Triggers and Suits

monkeyboy30672

Question

Hey, folks,

Maybe this is evident in the RB, but I couldn't find it anywhere, and it wasn't addressed by the FAQ. It seems rather an important distinction, so maybe I'm just being thick about it... Not unheard of...  :P

So if a duel has a starting Stat value that includes a suit, and a Trigger has the same suit on it, does that mean that the flip needs to include 2 of that suit to trigger?

Example:

Baby Kade - 

(1) Carving Knife (Ml 7*Mask* / Rst: Df / Rng: melee 1): Target suffers 1/2/4 damage. If the target is engaged with at least one other friendly model, deal +2 damage.

*Mask* *Mask* Flay: The damage flip resulting from this attack may be cheated if it suffers from one or more minus flips.

In this example, the Ml stat has a value of 7 Mask to start. In order to trigger Flay, does the controller only need to flip one more Mask, in order to meet the double Mask trigger value, or does the controller need two more Masks on top of the one listed in the Ml value?

Thanks!

10 answers to this question

Wow... then Langston Hughes' "Decapitation" trigger is exceptionally nasty!

Keep in mind, if it didn't work that way, Langston could not get decapitate at all—outside of a very few models, requiring an addition two suits to go off above what is in the attack line, can only be achieved through Soulstones, and Howard Langston notably can't use them.

this had me a bit confused too :)

I noticed Nicodem has a Ca 6 (Crows) ability and the trigger needs 2 crows, why is the ability not just a Ca 6 ability with a 1 crow trigger? theres no second trigger to choose so it seems pointless? i assume im missing something

this had me a bit confused too :)

I noticed Nicodem has a Ca 6 (Crows) ability and the trigger needs 2 crows, why is the ability not just a Ca 6 ability with a 1 crow trigger? theres no second trigger to choose so it seems pointless? i assume im missing something

It interacts with some other things. For instance, Nicodem might have an upgrade (or get one in the future) that gives him a new trigger, and whether or not he has that crow suddenly matters. Or he could be casting against someone with Counterspell and lose his suits and now he can't get a double-crow trigger at all. Or he could be in an aura that gives him a trigger. 

The casts and the triggers are designed to interact with the whole game, not just the card they're on.