Lynch or Mei for first crew

Alliterato

Hi,

I have posted this in the 10T topic, but maybe I can get some good advice here too. :)

So I have found 2 crews for the same price, painted ( which is a good point to me now) and I need some advice which would be a better starter crew. This would be my first try in Malifaux.

I also curious which would be more "generic" or "ordinary" as an opponent? It would be work fine against my buddies' crews whatever they will be.

So, Mei Feng box, Rail Golem, 3 fire gamins

Or

Lynch, Hungering Darkness, 3 Illuminated, 3 Depleted, 2 Beckoner, Graves, Tannen

Any thoughts?

Lynch. But he's not maybe that generic or ordinary. 

I can't tell you that much about Mei Feng, she's pretty melee oriented as far as I know. Lynch can dish out a lot of damage but has a lot more tricks up his sleeve which make him a very interesting master. :)

Lynch is a Top tier master (keep in mind that the edition is new, so this is just an initial opinion) who gets to essentially bring two masters to the gme for the non cost of 0.

He has a unique look and a devastating play style. If you are a competitive player he would be my choice.

Mei Feng is a great solid master who hits like a swarm of metallic hornets, and her crew works exceptionally well with her. She has a great amount of tricksy movement options, and her synergy with constructs allows for a good deal of potential growth. If you re looking for a master more in the "average" of playstyle and power so as to potentially not overwhelm your friends I'd go with Mei Feng.

Keep in mind that M2E is brand new, and all the masters are FAR closer in balance to each other than they were last edition. While I personally consider Lych one of the strongest masters in the game, that is a personal opinion, and exactly where masters fall on the curve in power level remains to be most solidly determined. 

Both masters are certainly great choices, and I would go Lynch personally because I like the aethetics better, and I think from a competitive standpoint Lynch edges out Mei.

Why not both?  Lynch and Mei Feng are both available in Ten Thunders and it would give you the opportunity to mix and match to some extent.  Still, I assume since you're asking the question then I suppose it must be one or the other.  If it's a strictly monetary concern then I suspect that the Lynch crew is worth more money since you said you could get them for the same price.

Power balance across masters is very close in the M2E games that I've seen both in my local scene and slightly wider afield, with good players able to get results pretty much regardless of their chosen master.  I personally find that Lynch is rather easier to play with than Mei Feng but I suspect that is partly because I've played more games using him.  Mei Feng is still hilarious, and I can still remember the first time I ever saw her on the table - she Rail Walked halfway across the board in turn 1 and kicked one of my minions in the face.  Needless to say I was sold.  Both have lots of tricks and depth that will keep you coming back for more and able to improve as a player for a long time.

Either way, best of luck (but remember that Bad Things Happen) and welcome to the forums.

Having played against both and now actually owning Lynch I'd say either or gives you a great starting point. Lynch has some really neat tricks up his sleeve and can really lay down the hurt. Mei Feng is a combat machine who can create seemingly endless combo's of face kicky badassery. Both are fairly competant at movement tricks, both have tough models to bring down, both have heavy hitters. Personally I worry about both when I find out i'm against them. Really I think it comes down to do you like A. Demonically possessed Drug Addicts and card tricks or B. Cyborgs and Crazy Kung Fu shenanigans?

Both are great, if you are looking for a master who's crew has a LOT of variety then Mei Feng works wonders with most of the Arcanist constructs, she probably has more hiring options. Lynch has a fair few himself but he tends to work best with his Darkened crew members which is somewhat more limited that Mei's options. 

Hope this offers some help :)

Really I think it comes down to do you like A. Demonically possessed Drug Addicts and card tricks or B. Cyborgs and Crazy Kung Fu shenanigans?

This! Dark Debts and the Rail Crew were my first two crews when getting back into M2E. Both crews have their virtues but I personally much prefer the Dark Debt theme. I also love the card tricks and routinely take the "Expert Cheater" upgrade to add some gameplay theme to the gambling aesthetic even though its not considered "optimal".

• Like 1

Inspired by this I finally got my hands on my Dark Debts box, as my painting on Justice crew failed miserably on the paint chipping away from the 10 figures I was painting I got so disheartened I decided to paint the plastics, and wow, what a difference. So I am hoping on having them ready for the 18th when I finally get a game in after a long time. The whole Demonically possessed drug addicts comment reminded me why I have the Lynch box. It was my first master/box that I got actually :)