New to miniatures

SinDrome

(I just noticed I posted this in the wrong section. I apologize! If a mod would like to move this to the showcase section I would appreciate it)

Hello all!

I'm new to miniatures in general, but I'm really enjoying all aspects. A friend of mine started getting me into a game that will not be named. So, I bought a few models, codexes etc. I really enjoy painting and playing, but...then I started reading about Malifaux and I really loved their models. To add to that, my wife saw the Malifaux models and listened to me talk about the game. Now she is interested and "maybe" wants to try playing it, as well as try her hand at painting them. Sooo, guess who wins that debate? My wife or my friend? We are buying our Malifaux models in a couple weeks!  :)

Anyway, what follows is my first few models I've painted so far. I know they aren't great, but I would love some criticism (be gentle :P ) and tips.

(hopefully I upload these correctly, if not bear with me)

The first one i painted:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/yit78rrzlfgc5am/VqK0XA0c8H

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ejye90ce6dqrlh9/w7ZIpKqnWF

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/dpxhugaeoxff8me/U0MqzZPzqX

The others:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/xhrcu1rfdlijive/YXgjK0nTov

Hey welcome to painting.  I think that you have a great start.   For me I might suggest that you work on color selection.  It might make the models pop a little more if you used some more contrasting some cultures.  Do you use inks and do you highlight?  Those are the things I am learning to use right now.  You might want to check out some youtube videos on these they help.  Good luck and enjoy!!  

Good Start BTW.

Thanks for the reply!

First, I really appreciate the suggestions!

I do use ink in my washes, and I do highlight. Unfortunately, I noticed the pictures ended up looking rather flat. I found out the hard way that trying to capture detail in the models with a crappy camera is nigh impossible. The highlights look nonexistant. They truly look a bit better in person.

I do definitely need to work on my contrast, and I try to try something a little different on every model I paint (using various techniques I've seen in tutorials) until I find something that works for me. At the moment I prime, basecoat, wash (color depends on the model), dry brush to add dimension (attempting to take into account theme), then highlight the points I think light would reflect on. I know my technique is still lacking. I'm hoping with more models under my belt, I will see more improvement.

Hello and welcome to the all-consuming hobby of madness!

For a first-timer, you're doing very well. Remember what I tell everyone who starts painting or wants to improve: once you have the motor skills down, most of the rest is just techniques. A different treatment of a similar material can make two models look vastly different. For example, on a Dark Eldar, all filled with refinement and care, a very glossy, even-coat treatment of metal will make their weapons look finely forged and well cared for. Using the same colours, but primarily drybrushes and chunky washes, you can make a blade that looks more like it was made in that Lord of the Rings Uruk Hai montage; More about bulk than finesse.

(Not saying one is right or wrong, just an example.)

Studying colour theory is important. Even if you're intentionally not making models that are wholly colour balanced themselves, it's good to know that you aren't making them balanced on purpose, as opposed to just falling into it. Colour theory exists because it's what our eyes expect to see. Using the example of your Ork (btw, those are his lips, not teeth! >.<) the blue of his outfit is very similar to the green of his skin (only two steps apart on the wheel). The brown in theory is opposite, but since all the colours are muted, there's no real place on the model for the eye to be drawn. I think the reason orks have red eyes is to deal with this. You could also add dags, or blood splatter, to go the most obvious route.

If you want to get really detailed in it, convert your image to black-and-white, and then look at the model. If everything has roughly the same grey-value, you're not contrasting as much as you could be.

Now, in regards to bright contrast and focal points, it might be the case that you have an entire mob of orks mostly drab coloured, intentionally so that your Nob or Warboss, who IS brightly coloured, will stand out more. In army painting, a lot of the time it is equally important to think of a scheme across the whole force. Among the many advantages is not feeling stuck when you add a new model/squad as to how it should look: You already know the scheme, you just need to play within it a bit.

Perhaps the most important piece of advice I can give: If you see someone who's work is 'better' than yours, don't despair! Many veterans are happy to share secrets, and none of us started out pros. Asking "how did you get X to look like that?" will often yield an incredibly detailed response.

So much more I could mention here, but I'll leave it at that for now. TL:DR version: You're off to a great start, keep going!

youtube has made the learning curve of model painting much less harsh. there are countless painting channels dedicated to showing how to apply different techniques.

when painting models for a gaming table, try and remember your highlights will need to be far more harsh than normal as the models will be a good 3 foot or more away from the eye. what looks good in a painting contest where the judge gets 1 foot away from the model, becomes bland and blurred together when set down on a table. just as extreme edge highlights with high contrast that on the table look good and create a false blend of color, up close, or in macro photography look kinda ridiculous.

I appreciate the tips guys!

First, I can't  believe I painted his lips as teeth. I could have sworn they were. Ofcourse, after you pointed it out, I can see it. Oh, well. My painting skills are definitely a work in progress. I understand what you guys are saying about higher contrast. I think my issue is I don't take into consderation the distance they will be on the table. I have tried constrasting colors for some of the more prominant highlights, and I always find myself saying "That looks goofy". So I end up muting them, and making them look more like I think they would look "in person". Lighter and darker shades of similar colors etc. I am working on it though, and forcing myself to try different ways and techniques. In an attempt to further my education, and eventual skill, I always try to apply advice other, more experienced, hobbyists share with me.

I appreciate the tips guys!

First, I can't  believe I painted his lips as teeth. I could have sworn they were. Ofcourse, after you pointed it out, I can see it. Oh, well. My painting skills are definitely a work in progress. I understand what you guys are saying about higher contrast. I think my issue is I don't take into consderation the distance they will be on the table. I have tried constrasting colors for some of the more prominant highlights, and I always find myself saying "That looks goofy". So I end up muting them, and making them look more like I think they would look "in person". Lighter and darker shades of similar colors etc. I am working on it though, and forcing myself to try different ways and techniques. In an attempt to further my education, and eventual skill, I always try to apply advice other, more experienced, hobbyists share with me.

Pushing contrast and highlights is not easy. I have been painting for years and am just now forcing myself to really crank that stuff up. I'd say the order to learn things in is:

1. Brush control and thinning paint and "painting within the lines". You're doing quite well at this one.

2. Washing and drybrushing

3. Edge highlighting

4. Simple blending

Don't feel like you need to rush stuff. If you still don't feel like you are really nailing drybrushing or edge highlighting, don't try to learn to wet blend. 

Also, a good sense of color theory will go a long way to making so-so paintjobs look good, and good paintjobs look great. 

I actually have no idea what game/etc that model is from. My work buddy, who is also into models, brought up a bunch of his random models and told me to pick some out to paint (also use to proxy). I like the way it turned out  :)

Blu-tac/sticky tac is on my list for things to pick up next time I hit the store. I was just making do, to have something to put it on to take pics lol.

That's a Nepharite of Muawijhe from Warzone 1st edition. Full-fledged old-skull, I really like the way you painted him. 1st edition Warzone minis are big, clumsy and lack detail (but they're awesome nonetheless) so doing them justice with paintjob is that much more of a challenge.

Thanks for the complements and tips guys! 

Also, thanks to Viruk for letting me know what model he is! I looked them up and it seems I completely lucked into using the paint scheme that fit them. I thought "hmm isn't that an odd coincidence". I honestly just painted him how I saw it in my head.

I really tried to use the tips you guys have given me about contrast and making it "pop" more. I have liked my other models, but so far it's the first model that gave me that "wow, I did that" feeling. Granted, it's still far from perfect. Though, I think we are all most likely our harshest critic. We are all constantly learning, and I think that is what makes this hobby so great!