Malifaux Child as Mini Mei (Feng…)

baskinders

Question

So I'm thinking this might have snuck through the Beta unnoticed...

Malifaux Child takes the (1) Just Like You action to cast Mei Feng's Railwalker ability. Unlike most "copy" actions, Just Like You doesn't have the proviso of not being able to use triggers. So the little fella can potentially:

- Place himself in contact with a friendly construct or scrap counter within 6"

- Trigger Express Line and do a Jackhammer Kick!!! (which I assume would not get the -3Ca as it's using Ml, nor the positive to the attack flip but would get the negative to damage?!?)

- Trigger one of either Intimidating Pose, Thunderous Smash or Pressurized Vent, depending on upgrades taken, if the Jackhammer kick was successful/did damage!!!!!

Not sure the 3ss totem should be able to carry that out for 1 Ap? :)

Ya know, I just realized the kid can summon flesh constructs. Makes the drop kick a wee bit less impressive.

And if it was a McMourning mirror match?

HILLARITY ensues. This here is war gaming Aus, common sense has got no place here.

edit: Ah, never mind the flesh constructs...

Edited by hypoking

My reaction to this thread;

This is both ridiculous and awesome.

I agree with Halcyon.

Oh god, I agree with Halcyon. I need to go take a shower.

Edit: Brewmaster does provide some precedent for an ability allowing a model to use an action not printed on the card or granted by the initial ability.

Could be worse. You could be agreeing with Ausplosions or Fetid Strumpet. :)

Edit: To me the clearest indication that something needs a FAQ is that both sides of the argument consider their position to be trivially and self-evidently true based on common sense and the other side to be ridiculous and completely unfounded, which seems to be the case here.

Edited by HalcyonSeraph

I feel like there is another strange trigger interaction when used with McMourning's Rancid Transplants CA action. Trigger reads "After succeeding, push McMourning into base contact with the target." So the Child takes the action, hits the trigger, and McMourning pushes into base contact??? Seems strange, but without any of the normal copy restrictions (no triggers, no actions that list a model by name) that's how it would play.

Potentially interesting since the action doesn't name McMourning, just the trigger. Another one that would be funny, but I'd miss the stinky Chihuahua even in a casual game.

The Express Line trigger is explicitly part of the Railwalker action. It is perfectly natural that if you gain the ability to use the action, the triggers come with.

The Jackhammer Kick action is not part of the Express Line trigger. It is a wholly separate thing. There is no reason it should be pulled over with the trigger.

/\/\/\ You keep just stating that as if it were universal law. You have yet to actually provide any reasoning for that other than dismissing it as ridiculous. "Because Ausplosions thinks its dumb" is not a reason.

The Express Line trigger is explicitly part of the Railwalker action. It is perfectly natural that if you gain the ability to use the action, the triggers come with.

The Jackhammer Kick action is not part of the Express Line trigger. It is a wholly separate thing. There is no reason it should be pulled over with the trigger.

The Jackhammer Kick action is absolutely, explicitly part of the Express Line trigger. It says it right there in the trigger. "Express Line: After succeeding, take a Railwalker or Jackhammer Kick Action.". I don't see why one part of that clause is ok but the other isn't.

You aren't "pulling anything over". You are doing exactly what the power says to do.

However, 'Because Mako isn't going to let the thread devolve into any further shouting' is a damn good reason for everyone to take a step back and calm down.

I think everyone has said their piece on this, so there's no need to go over and over the same ground. Neither side has provided a compelling case it seems.

But you do not have access to the triggered ability. In any way.

Just to reiterate, Brewmaster provides precedent for an action allowing, and indeed requiring, a model to use a secondary action to which that model would not ordinarily have access.

Edited by hypoking

I think everyone has said their piece on this, so there's no need to go over and over the same ground. Neither side has provided a compelling case it seems.

Since asking doesn't seem to work, I will now shut this thread and it can be left alone until such time as a new bit of information might present itself. I'm not interested in watching it spiral slowly downwards without anything new being said.

The issue has no doubt been noticed.