dgraz's new painting thread

dgraz

How do you manage / do such amazing white?

With much pain and suffering.

I start with a mid-grey and just layer, layer, layer, layer, layer, layer, layer, layer............................................................................

adding more and more white as I go until I finally hit pure white. It takes hours. I usually spend most of a day just on the white. It's over 10 layers...I lose count. It's still a learning process....if you go back a few pages and look at the original Sidir and Wastrels I posted, Math pointed out that they had the 'grey sausage' look...so I went back and carefully washed those areas to decrease that...they look much better the second time around.

You have to be careful with white (or any very pale color....like yellow) because it tends to go chalky. You have to thin it well and then just lay it down....you can't really go back over  it or swish it around until it dries....one or two strokes and done until the next layer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oouh, that koi on the Torakage is begging for a good thick (wet) gloss varnish :D

I did that on a couple of the earlier ones just to show the effect, but it isn't really worth it at this point. They haven't been sealed yet and once I put the flat seal on it'll kill the gloss. After I seal them all I'll go back and re-do the gloss.

Thanks guys.

Liking that soul porter - how did you go about achieving the marbling effect on his lanterns, if you don't mind me asking. :D

I never mind sharing techniques.

I started with white where I thought the greatest light would be coming from (the little holes and maybe the seams). Then I added a tint of pink to the white and thinned it down to a glaze which I painted on avoiding the holes. Then it was just more pink added and glaze covering less and less area...finally I added a bit of purple for the last touch. I didn't count, but it was probably 6-8 layers like that. Then I took my original very light pink glaze and covered the entire thing to help cover any transitions.

For the other lantern it was the same deal just with a yellow/green to start...adding a little more green as I went.

And of course, the glazes on the Porter for the glow.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I went back and edited earlier posts that had cell phone pics with better pictures...including the white corrected Wastrels and a new Ototo where I fixed the over-done OSL.

There were a few models that I didn't post singles of, here they are: 10T Brother, Shang, and a Monk of Low River:

100_3187_zpsslizsqms.jpg100_3189_zpsdxnvejjn.jpg100_3161_zpskhau92fp.jpg100_3162_zps8hokreu3.jpg100_3164_zpsqnvrfftd.jpg100_3166_zpsqkys7u6h.jpg

Edited by dgraz
  • Like 1

Beautiful,  the koi are fantastic, I'm going to scour this whole thread for more tips from you, do you have a blog or anything?  I'm new so I'm sorry if this is a silly question. 

Thank you. Sorry, no blog....spend too much time painting to write a blog :D

But, I'm always happy to share techniques. Feel free to hit me with any specific questions you may have.

You are one damn insane painter. But for the first time I have some other than all praises! Shang looks a bit too clean and from a chocolate egg toy like.. It's a very good paint job but I feel it's a bit too clean? I don't know usually I think your work is fantastic and I have nothing to say but this time, I feel on Shang you could have done better. I don't mean this offensively. I just don't know how to say it.. :) 

• Like 1

I don't mean this offensively. I just don't know how to say it.. :) 

Bro - please don't ever worry about offending me here. I've been doing one form of art or another since I was a 'wee lad'...wouldn't get too far if I couldn't take some criticism. I love criticism....it's the only way to get better (aside from practice). Math called me out on my whites at the start of this 10T project and I'll love him forever because of it....my whites are far better now than before.

It may still seem to clean to you if you saw it in person, but part of the problem is certainly the picture. I've never had great luck with reds with my camera. In this model specifically, from about his midsection to about half way up his tails is pretty uniform but on the model all the little bits that stick out have multiple colors on them getting darker toward the tips....a lot of that is lost in the picture...I noticed it and tried several shots and these were the best I could get.

But, I also may have gotten so caught up in making a smooth blend from white to black that I lost something. Unfortunately he's gone now so I can't go back and take another look.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply - I was thinking it was some kind of blending/glazing but you really nailed it perfect so I wanted to ask to make sure.

Love your stuff and the unifying theme throughout your 10T (even though they are 10T ;) ).

Keep it coming! 

Edited by SpectreEliteGaming
  • Like 1