Can Henchmen hire generic Totems when leading a crew?

Curropepe

Question

15 answers to this question

I have only the last beta rulebook at hand but according to that Totems can only be hired when a Master is present. When a Henchman leads the crew he becomes the leader of the crew but doesn't get Master status with it. So based on this, the answer is no. Maybe the printed rulebook got some rewording to allow this?

I actually had to ask Justin this very question when putting together the Crew Creator and the answer is yes, they can. They can also hire the 2 generic Mercenary totems as well.

Something that should probably be added to the next FAQ update as the Rulebook uses the definitive "Master" rather than the general "Leader" or "Master/Henchman" throughout the Totem Rules on both page 54 of the big book and 65 of the Mini. It also slightly contradicts the rules for Henchman under Station Characteristics (page 55 main book, page 66 mini) which clearly state "While not Masters, a Henchman is a competent leader of men."

I understand the intent but it is likely something that will continue to come up until inclusion in the "official Faq" document.

As a caveat to the original question (and for completeness);

Can a Henchman have his totem hired while working under a Master (i.e. not leading the crew)?

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

An interesting side note, Hungering Darkness is a totem that can also hire a totem if it leads the crew.

Huggy loses the Totem characteristic while leading a crew due to his The Real Power ability.

Edited by Omenbringer
clarity

Can a Henchman hire a totem while working under a Master (i.e. not leading the crew)?

I kinda think this is an easy question to explain- when you hire a henchman into a crew with a master, he is not promoted to the leader of the crew and can therefore not have a totem.

I kinda think this is an easy question to explain- when you hire a henchman into a crew with a master, he is not promoted to the leader of the crew and can therefore not have a totem.

Though I agree that it is an easy question to answer (at least in reconciling with the current M2E Hiring rules) it is not for the above reason.

The hiring characteristics for Totems (page 54 in the big book, 65 in the mini) never mention "Leader" only "Master" and "lead by the listed Master" (hence the Op's question in regards to a Henchman hiring a totem when leading a crew). The hiring characteristics also clearly state that;

A crew may only hire one model with the Totem characteristic.

Now some Totem models have a special rule which will trump this (i.e. Skeeters Plentiful or the Daydreams Greedy for Attention rules) but aside from those "special" interactions the current rules clearly state that a crew may only hire a single Totem model and strongly implies that only a Master model may do it.

As CrouchingMoose states in his post, Justin has told him otherwise in a conversation they had while he was updating the Crew Creator. Though I would be surprised if it wasn't true, RAW are in opposition to this. Unfortunately a new Faq entry will more than likely be necessary since it is the only document that carries "official" weight outside of the Rulebooks (which are in the opposite direction).

Something that should probably be added to the next FAQ update as the Rulebook uses the definitive "Master" rather than the general "Leader" or "Master/Henchman" throughout the Totem Rules on both page 54 of the big book and 65 of the Mini. It also slightly contradicts the rules for Henchman under Station Characteristics (page 55 main book, page 66 mini) which clearly state "While not Masters, a Henchman is a competent leader of men."

I understand the intent but it is likely something that will continue to come up until inclusion in the "official Faq" document.

Can a Henchman have his totem hired while working under a Master (i.e. not leading the crew)?

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Huggy loses the Totem characteristic while leading a crew due to his The Real Power ability.

I don't understand your follow up question. Which henchmen have a specific totem?