it finally came...Po Boys Terrain crowdfunding live!

harbinger

Yeah, 45 days isn't terrible. So many hit 3, 6, 12+ month delays, and many won't say a thing about it for weeks or even months at a time.

Hell, one project I've backed is looking at something approaching a 6 month delay and get snarky whenever anyone asks about it (not to mention the backers, who are a mixed bag of tolerant, outraged, and down right sniveling sycophants).

Kickstarter can be... a very strange community.

I'll admit that the update did trigger a bit of a gag reflex though. So many campaigns are using "we don't want to rush it so you get the best things ever!!!!" as their go to delay excuse that it's becoming a joke. Not that this is the case here, it's just getting obnoxious in general, to a degree that even when it's true it's hard to avoid a little eye rolling.

Yeah, 45 days isn't terrible. So many hit 3, 6, 12+ month delays, and many won't say a thing about it for weeks or even months at a time.

Hell, one project I've backed is looking at something approaching a 6 month delay and get snarky whenever anyone asks about it (not to mention the backers, who are a mixed bag of tolerant, outraged, and down right sniveling sycophants).

Kickstarter can be... a very strange community.

I'll admit that the update did trigger a bit of a gag reflex though. So many campaigns are using "we don't want to rush it so you get the best things ever!!!!" as their go to delay excuse that it's becoming a joke. Not that this is the case here, it's just getting obnoxious in general, to a degree that even when it's true it's hard to avoid a little eye rolling.

Robotech?

Right on the nose.

Edit: hell, I referenced Wyrd's exemplary Gencon Exclusive policies a few times.

I swear, I've never had to argue so hard about wanting to give a company money and be told that I was being whiny and entitled.

For offering to give them money for a product.

Edited by Forar

The mats come fully textured. It is a mix of heavy sand, etched in crevices and protruding rocks.  They do not come painted, the color is a brownish cream that I tinted the latex with before poured; though Im still up in the air about pre-priming them.  My minions have a couple folded and couple rolled to test out what will happen to primed ones during shipping. If the test shows no cracking or rub off issue of the primer then I will go that route.

Ill see about getting a couple pics sent to me.

The mats come fully textured. It is a mix of heavy sand, etched in crevices and protruding rocks. They do not come painted, the color is a brownish cream that I tinted the latex with before poured; though Im still up in the air about pre-priming them. My minions have a couple folded and couple rolled to test out what will happen to primed ones during shipping. If the test shows no cracking or rub off issue of the primer then I will go that route.

Ill see about getting a couple pics sent to me.

Jesus that sounds amazing! They 3x3?

Actually no. The mats are 3x4. It is 3x3 play area on two opposing edges is a 6inch un-textured area to lay cards and what not on. I did this since most game stores and such use a 4x8 table in my experience. I liked having a softer spot to lay my cards.

For those that don't want they extra area, it has been tested and a hobby knife easily cuts it off. The raised (textured) area makes a border for you to cut along giving a straight line with no effort.

I have yet to decide if will do mats of different sizes to accommodate other game systems. While there is a mold involved; part the process of making the mats is still done manually and varied sized molds adds up very quickly. Im a Mali player at heart and it will always be my main focus when design terrain components.

Three will be available once retail site goes live. The one we are discussing which while textured and detailed it is reasonably flat because was designed with idea of laying a town set on it. There will be another one very, very similar in design (was built up from the original :P ) with the protruding rocks becoming outcroppings and semi hills. And third will be a Victorianish cobblestone streets. 

Cant give exact date yet of the site going live. I planned to wait till all perks are delivered to open it. But I am getting anxious to have the terrain dedicated forums up and running. They promised the site to be finished within a week or so; I might just go ahead and open it with the store features disabled.

• Like 2

I know the mats were limited to early birds but is there any way of getting them now? From what you've written they seem like the perfect thing I'm looking for.

I cannot second this enough - I'm already looking forward to my town's worth of buildings... These mats would be great for my LGS too!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not on Facebook, so I never see comments/updates there, but is there any news on a new rough delivery date or with how Po Boys is doing with the re-do after the glue change disaster?

Valete,

JohnS

Apparently everything's progressing. Latest update says Victorian sets due for retail mid April, Bayou/Mining mid May.

He hasn't specified a specific shipping date, but it'd be very close now. 

Any info on this?

Ok few things to note...

The new panels have been completed and with the right glue this time!!! Cutting will begin in a couple days and on 15th of March we will begin boxing up the perks to ship out. Been a fun and exhausting experience which leads me to next comment...

I need some time to recover especially before my fingers start bleeding from all the sorting and boxing. I wont be available from Feb 26th-March 12th. If any emergencies feel free to contact and I will respond; non emergencies you can expect reply of "the beach is warm, the beer is cold.. wish you was here."

Due to nature of crowd funding there is a no refund policy, as removing any of the funding pledges puts everyone's perks in jeopardy. This has not been a issue at all till now. A contributor contacted me today with a pretty bad situation (even sent proof, which wasn't needed buddy.. we are all friends here, your word was enough. I personally understand what your going through.. a lot more then you realize.) I can not change the refund policy, as that would not be fair to make exceptions for one person. I still feel for another gamer in rough position, so instead... if anyone out there wants a full Town Set in Distressed style let me know. (the perk was done as bonus for a certain group so there is NO additional charge for the distressing. flat 100$) This will be last terrain available till retail orders start shipping on May 1st.

opps... did I let that date slip.......

Since the cat is out the bag already... The retail site will open April 5th with The Victorian Sets debuted! Also you will be seeing two 4x4 textured latex playmates for purchase. The store function will be turned off for 10 days to give people time to plan orders before the cow gates are opened and the stampedes begin.

Before it is asked.. there will not be a crowd funding campaign for the new terrain. While it was fun and got lot people some great deals... I just cant stay in business offering items with no profit line Besides, Im confident people are going to be happily surprised at the prices