Freehand-along, week 1 - sketching out

Mako

well,.. thank you*grin*

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

It means a lot coming from an outside perspective (especially yours). Plus I look at it and see all these little flaws. But then, I always was my own worst critic. That's why I always seem to need affirmation from others on these things. Others tell me my stuff is decent, sometimes even nice,.. But in my own head, I think my stuff is mostly crap. Probably just beating myself up though. But I find this is common with lots of painters.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It takes a lot to get me out of lurking mode here, but this could do it! Thanks for offering to start this up Mako! I really enjoying seeing everyone step out of their comfort zone. Freehand has always been one of those things I was afraid to do; I've done a few simple lines or checks here and there, but that is about it. I'd like to join in if a) it's not too late and B) I could use a non Malifaux piece (at least for this run through). Please? :)

Ok so the last few days have been surprisingly hectic, but I did manage to find the model I wanted to spruce up.

P1010219.JPGP1010220.JPG

The fig is 3-4 years old now but still like it. It just needed something more.

P1010221.JPG

This is the conceptual sketch I am going to try for the rear of the cloak. with my Craftworld symbol in the center and some runes along the bottom.

One thing I cant decide upon is for the runes do I paint them black over a white stripe or white runes on the purple with a bounding line top and bottom of runes.

Or perhaps I have bitten of more than I can chew :P

Thanks for the invite! I have a couple of pieces. The first is some fancier edge/trim on the sleeves and possible the skirt on a dress. Here is the model, Kristianna from the Reaper Warlord miniatures game:

WIP7-1_zpsae11f243.jpg

WIP7-2_zps31014d3f.jpg

Here's the concept:

Freehandsketch_zpsd65138a7.jpg

I am planning on going with a gold trim. Do you typically start with your midtone and work up and down, or your shading colors?

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

My other piece is a somewhat more detailed insignia (at least for me). Here is the model:

WIP3_zps516fec30.jpg

This is a gift for an acquaintance at my LGS and he asked that I include the insignia for his army somewhere on the model. I am planning on putting it on the rear haunches of the mini. Here is the insignia:

Freehandsketch_zps91ef1388.jpg

Unfortunately due to my work schedule and being in a separate painting league, I am going to have to back out of the Free-Hand. If there is enough interest where this kind of thing happens again hopefully I will be more available to do it. I will keep an eye on the threads and will attempt to try doing this on my own time when I am free eventually because I do really want to try this out.

Fair enough Nick, these things happen!

Certainly if there's enough interest, I'll try to sort out a second one after Christmas. And definitely hAve a go yourself, and put up photos!

In terms of colours, I usually start with the midtone and work up, then shade down at the end to match the cloth shading. Starting with the shade (or something in between) is also good.

Which reminds me, must do my pattern again tonight...

I'll put the new week up tonight, but yeah basically its filling out hte colours, and defining the lines more strongly. Taking the rough shape to its final solid colour block to then add the highlights and shades to.

---------- Post added at 04:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 AM ----------

That's a shame bow, but I understand. I'm having trouble myself!

Woo, here's mine (and it's really rough, lol):

skirtsketch_zps5e5e88c9.jpg

I'll get the next thread set up tomorrow morning, but it's going to be blocking out the pattern solidly and neatly, or refining the lines in the case of the thin patterns and getting the outline of all of it looking smooth and neat, and filled in for any solid areas (flowers can be done like that too, solid block of colour and details added in at a later stage, or they can be lines over the background. Either way works).

So in my case, I'll probably add the shading to the bottom half of all the diamonds, in order to get those rough grey lines fixed up and less wobbly.