Tara & Bete?

SpiralngCadavr

Question

So, I'm curious, what happens if Tara uses Whispers from the Darkness to duplicated Bete Noire's One with the Night to bury herself? (The Doppelganger can do the same thing, there may be others.)

I may have missed it, but haven't noticed any methods for her to become unburied and buried has specific expiration conditions.

Now, the obvious answer would be to not do it, but there are a few pieces that can force opponents to make actions... am I missing something, or is it a (highly situational) way to effectively sacrifice pieces?

14 answers to this question

RAW wise Betty and Killjoy open up a massive can of contradictory worms revolving around layered bury effects. I'm of the opinion they don't necessarily work as written. That being said, while I don't know the exact reason myself that makes it functional, she is supposed to work even when she's not doing the burying herself.

Ya'll might want to trust me on this one.

Edited by hypoking

Hypoking: I'm sorry but I don't quite get what you are trying to say. What abilities, what interactions?

I think my best guess though is that you are commenting on Bêtes ability to unbury herself regardless of the effect that put her there.

The OP was asking if Tara could bury herself and return herself to the board later through some other unfortunate souls death, which she can't.

Actually, I was asking if there was some other means of her returning that I hadn't noticed (malifaux has enough cross-faction models and weird rules interactions that I've learned to check if I've missed something, if something seems wrong).

It's definitely clear that Tara wouldn't get Drawn to Death since she's only duplicating the action and it doesn't reference the ability...

edit: but, yes, the question was if/how Tara can become unburied.

My aplogies then SpiralngCadavr as I too missed the mark.

That said, I wasn't able to find any way for Tara to bring herself back from my search through the manual.

At first I thought Glimpse the Void, but that only effects other models hit with the same trigger.

Then I checked Pine Box and it too had a return clause in the ability that effected only the model hit with Pine Box.

Looks to me she is stuck there.

Edit: I realize there are other Bury effects, but those were the two most likely ones in a Tara crew.

Edited by Rhonlore

So I presume you are going to use bettes 'one with the night' to bury Tara and then use the child's 'just like you' to cast 'faces in the void' from Tara?

The question is can you cast just like you using one of Tara's spells if she is buried as technically she is not in play

Edited by Barnaberible

So I presume you are going to use bettes 'one with the night' to bury Tara and then use the child's 'just like you' to cast 'faces in the void' from Tara?

The question is can you cast just like you using one of Tara's spells if she is buried as technically she is not in play

Assuming that the Child can use Just Like You to cast one of Tara's spells when she's buried, can he do the same thing when Tara (or a different leader) has died?

Just Like You requires no interaction with the Leader (no LoS or similar) and totems are no longer removed when the master is removed. Therefore I'm finding it hard to find a reason why he couldn't.

Note: not saying I think he should be able to as what I think should or shouldn't be is irrelevant.