Community paint-along (freehand)

Mako

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i have never been good at freehand. and my lettering on little scrolls and banners looks like a 4 year old lobotomized servitor did it while drunk.

trying to think what i have assembled and primed that i might be able to get ready for the start of this, and i'll try and join.

but i have to finish my 2 convict gunslinger puppets first.

Woo, this keeps growing- I take one day away from the forum to get things done and the list expands...

Mako

Webmonkey

Mattbird

G3ck0 (pics up)

Linus McMold

N1ck

Lussuria

Edonil

Ttsgosadow

Viruk

Steamhammer

LordZombie

Wings

Mister monkey

...And any others that find something they want to do before Monday, lol

Would dark pink/purple outlines and white blossoms work or just be too irritating to do? I'd definitely go for white rather than red but it would be a shame if they faded into the pink background too much.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

My mini for this is going to be a wizard from the Reaper kickstarter. I'll do a bit more tidying up before I start the freehand but he's more or less ready to go now. I'm planning to start on the scroll, and depending on how that goes I'll see what I do with the robes (I definitely want something on the trims of the robe, and may cover everything in a pattern if I feel ambitious).

FreehandWizardWIP_zps8e78107e.jpg

Alright,.. so I've tried thin branches, and thick braches, and nothing seems to work. Somehow, it just isn't coming out with the feeling that I want it to have.

Maybe I need to come at this backwards?? Instead of trying to let the braches dictate where the blossoms should fall,.. perhaps I should paint the blossoms where I want them first,.. and let them dictate where the branches are??

Or, perhaps, no branches at all??? just a blossom pattern?

Thoughts?, Comments??, Death Threats???,.... Anything???

Well looking through Yukata and Kimono fabrics, they rarely seem to have a solid 'image' on the design and more a large repeating pattern.

Maybe something a little like this would work?

10_zpsce1d9233.jpg

But I don't really know if something like that could be translated in a nice way to a model? I know very little about picking designs appropriate for tiny people!

OK still only halfway through painting the model but here's the area I need to work on:

th_WIP_zps521984c9.jpg

Any ideas of what would go there?

There's always skulls, what barbarous tribe doesn't like skulls

th_DodgyMockup_zpsdb55f594.jpg

But I'm not sure if it would either look too clean for the rest of the model or be so messy that it's just a pointy blob rather than a skull.

Cant help but feel that with the giant skull above the banner repeating the same thing below might be a little bit odd Steam.....

As for me, I had a model but after looking at it it seemed unsuitable for what i wanted to do...... so some paint slapping antics occurred and I ended up with this.

post-4313-13911931083018_thumb.jpg

As for the freehand awesomeness I am going to go retro and was thinking one of the fly motifs off of this page here

post-4313-13911931083367_thumb.jpg

Thoughts and suggestions?