Lussuria

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just got home from moms.

great to see you posted some stuff! I like the blue fire. well done. keep it up and i'll look at these some more when i'm not dead tired from a week of fixing up moms and 9 hours of driving.

keep up the good work, and keep posting pics. also dont hesitate to post a work in progress if you feel stuck or in need of a shoutout.

Welcome back Nagash!!

Well, I hope it's not a problem me posting non-Malifaux figures here!! :) Just let me know if it's an issue!

I actually have a bag FULL of Malifaux waiting to get painted, but now that I'm aware of all the beautiful paint jobs people do, I'm too scared to ruin my beautiful models before I practice more!

So lately, I have been painting Infinity models. My wizardous painting sage that gives me advice did warn me that due to their overly detailed tiny size they would present a challenge but off I went anyways.

2_zps5116d3da.jpg

The symbol I've 'highlighted' with the boxes is my own little 'signature' on my team of a bat. It came out a little like a warped M....

9_zps07115ccc.jpg

Side note about his skin for anyone not familiar with infinity. He's a cyborg type thing and so his skin tone/face is supposed to look kind of...er...washed out a little?

This guy is coming out quite...er...choppy in patches. And excuse the flash, he leans over so he's hard to photograph with natural light.

I can't blend to save my life! Hahaha. But I've trying sooo hard to keep my layers thin!! Slowly slowly I suppoose!

Anyone know any good beginners blending tutorials? Or a fool proof method? I've tried following some myself but they never turn out like they do in my head :(

Edited by Lussuria

Welcome back Nagash!!

Well, I hope it's not a problem me posting non-Malifaux figures here!! :) Just let me know if it's an issue!

I actually have a bag FULL of Malifaux waiting to get painted, but now that I'm aware of all the beautiful paint jobs people do, I'm too scared to ruin my beautiful models before I practice more!

So lately, I have been painting Infinity models. My wizardous painting sage that gives me advice did warn me that due to their overly detailed tiny size they would present a challenge but off I went anyways.

2_zps5116d3da.jpg

The symbol I've 'highlighted' with the boxes is my own little 'signature' on my team of a bat. It came out a little like a warped M....

9_zps07115ccc.jpg

Side note about his skin for anyone not familiar with infinity. He's a cyborg type thing and so his skin tone/face is supposed to look kind of...er...washed out a little?

This guy is coming out quite...er...choppy in patches. And excuse the flash, he leans over so he's hard to photograph with natural light.

I can't blend to save my life! Hahaha. But I've trying sooo hard to keep my layers thin!! Slowly slowly I suppoose!

Anyone know any good beginners blending tutorials? Or a fool proof method? I've tried following some myself but they never turn out like they do in my head :(

Don't know if you are member of MiniWarGaming.com or not, but they recently added some great wet blending videos by Blue Table Painting that I found excellent, using a wet palette and and drying retarder. I think they are available for free even to non members if you sign up for the trial membership.

I'm telling you,... pastels are the way of the future. The shading is just fantastic and easy to do. Might take a bit of practice to get proper on the smaller minis though

I completely agree. I would like everything I touch ever to be pastel to be honest. I've just never seemed to be able to pull it off. q-q

Don't know if you are member of MiniWarGaming.com or not, but they recently added some great wet blending videos by Blue Table Painting that I found excellent, using a wet palette and and drying retarder. I think they are available for free even to non members if you sign up for the trial membership.

Oh thankyou very much! I'll check it out *grin* !!

Updaaaate.

So this guy is pretty much done: (still have to do a final set of 'clean ups' on him though)

1_zps67076dcc.jpg

He is AWFUL to take a picture of. He's actually laying on his back on a bed of my paintbrush cleaning tissue...*ehem*

I'm aware that he's not very well blended :/ Still trying to keep my paints thin, but I can see patches all over him where I didn't succeed particularly.

And started on one of the girls. Comparatively she's more of a realistic skin tone - but she's going to get some purple and pink shading all up in there. Other than that, at the moment she just has base colours.

2_zps025818a6.jpg

one version of wet blending:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pISQJaRm_6s

i like this one better. whole video is alright for general painting info, but wet blending is covered from 18-24 min mark. she has a cool accent, but at parts can be hard to understand.

i really like the tiger pattern on the cerby, and i think your skin tones on marcus look great. the highlights might feel too strong on the eyebrow and nose, but i think it really helps add to the darkend in the shadows feel of the face. gives the illusion that the only light hitting his face is just the brow line and nose.

Thanks so much, Nagash! You know it's going to be a good video when the intro is 'girlpainting' in all pink letters hahaha.

My recent 'work on it whenever I'm bored' project has been an old 40K horse a friend gave me.

15_zps161335a9.jpg

I cannot EVEN explain how many problems this horse has given me.

The two red arrows are to indicate:

1. The saddle was broken so I attempted to fix it with green stuff but I appear to have failed to file it back properly so it has this 'blob' effect on it.

2. There are these weird patches all over the mini of like...a sand texture. I filed a lot of it off, but in spots like in front of the 'thigh' (and some other spots) I couldn't get it out.

This one was mostly for practice - but WOOOW, highlighting a lot of big smooth surfaces was awful!! Haha. I love horses but - I'm not sure if I will be game to try another one for a while!

is the horse metal or plastic?

many of the older games workshop metal models has casting imperfections that were most noticeable on the large flat surfaces like cloth or large skin areas. those were like the "sand" effect you talked about. some were patches of tiny little pits like loose sand got into the mold.

some of the older plastics on large flat surfaces had an almost woodgrain like effect that i would scratch off to make it smooth again.

but the new plastics seem to be free of that, and most companies are phasing out metals due to the tin costs.

is the horse metal or plastic?

some of the older plastics on large flat surfaces had an almost woodgrain like effect that i would scratch off to make it smooth again.

Plastic. And yes, exactly! I would almost describe it like fine sawdust. Some of it was pretty heavily engrained on - I think because the previous owner painted and then gloss varnished over them - so they kind of glued this 'sawdust' down firmly and proved a pain to remove. Will keep this in mind when working with the others. Thankyou :)

Looks really nice. The only thing that stands out to me that could use some improvement are the teeth. Some brown wash should do the trick ;)

Oh thankyou! I was wondering about the teeth looking so...er..stark like that. Will try a wash *grin*

I really like your Marcus and Myranda! It looks like you and I had the same idea for Myranda's clothing scheme, but your Marcus I feel like is way better than mine. But still very great job for a beginner like me!

Oh thankyou so much! These are my first miniatures too! So much learning to be done! :)

Actually, it doesn't look bad at all. And if you put a rider on it, you'll never see the saddle blob anyways.

Haha, that's the hope. Let's just pray he has sizable thighs and a trench coat or something hahahaha.

Oh thanks so much!! Haha, it's less my ability improving quickly - more, I'm not showing you the 140 in between that look like the arch enemy of a MLP.

Untitled_zpsa4f93466.jpg

But I really appreciate the encouragement none-the less. My friend has been showing me some new highlighting and blending so we've been doing different sections on the Infinity miniatures veeeery slooowly hahaha.

Edited by Lussuria

Thanks so much!! :D

But I was getting very step by step instructions from a friend, especially with the flame hehe. So it's very much a lot of them putting a pot in front of me and saying 'Ok, this one goes everywhere except the very bottom'.

And I just realised those above pictures are blurry. *sigh* haha can't seem to photograph miniatures to save my life!