Canvas Backed, Latex textured gaming mat (prototype)

DireTrollJake

Can you share how to make this? Want a Zuzzy mat for years, but doubling the cost to get it shipped stops me from getting one. This might be a good alternative ;)

Basically I applied latex caulking over canvas, used different tools for texturing and painted. If interested, I am willing to commission and ship them :)

Looks great. Also I can not recommend this project enough to anyone without a suitable malifaux table topper.

I've made a 3x3 gaming mat following the same tutorial and have plans to make more with different colors and textures. With pre-measuring being allowed i have lightly marked out a centre point and the standard 6" deployment zones.

• 2 months later...

I love this mat! Are you selling them? I would be interested to know how much a mat, colored just like this, a little smaller than 4x6 would be. I can send you the exact dimensions of my tabletop.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14812[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14813[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14814[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14815[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14816[/ATTACH]

Some better pix in the daylight.

Yes, I can and will make these for commission.

No toxicity issues known of...but I'm not one to read too far into these things...

...and primer yes, and top coat, I matte sealed it. I have only made a couple and only used 1 layer but if it's folded when stored instead of rolled around a tube, it does crack a tiny bit. Not where it falls apart at all but the paint will show some white lines from the caulk.

PM me for more info on commission.

Can you share how to make this? Want a Zuzzy mat for years, but doubling the cost to get it shipped stops me from getting one. This might be a good alternative ;)

Every time I go to the hardware store, I keep wanting to do this. They turn out really nice, and are pretty cheap if you are doing a couple at a time. I plan on doing 3 or 4 for my local group.

Edited by rikowal

Found that video last week and have been looking at options to put a cobblestone pattern into the calking in a practical and cost effective way. The sponge technique shown in the video isn't going to cut it for me. But I'll probably make a swamp themed mat as demonstrated to go with my new gremlin themed terrain.

Anyone got any tricks to make cobblestone/flagstone textures that might work with the canvas/latex caulk style mats?

-DavicusPrime

Found that video last week and have been looking at options to put a cobblestone pattern into the calking in a practical and cost effective way. The sponge technique shown in the video isn't going to cut it for me. But I'll probably make a swamp themed mat as demonstrated to go with my new gremlin themed terrain.

Anyone got any tricks to make cobblestone/flagstone textures that might work with the canvas/latex caulk style mats?

-DavicusPrime

No practical experience, but what about a template sprayed with some sort of release agent applied during the drying process. I'm thinking of some premolded plasticard stuff I've seen at train stores, which might do the job. As I said, haven't tried it or anything like it, it's just an idea in my head.

Looks great. Also I can not recommend this project enough to anyone without a suitable malifaux table topper.

I've made a 3x3 gaming mat following the same tutorial and have plans to make more with different colors and textures. With pre-measuring being allowed i have lightly marked out a centre point and the standard 6" deployment zones.

Looks cool. I might have to give this whole thing a try. I don't think I'd mark deployment zones though. I would mark the three possible centerlines (right across and then both diagonals) as well as the center point.

(My logic being, checking deployment zones for schemes is easy to do. Checking centerlines, especially the diagonal ones, are a more significant pain in the middle of the game)

No practical experience, but what about a template sprayed with some sort of release agent applied during the drying process. I'm thinking of some premolded plasticard stuff I've seen at train stores, which might do the job. As I said, haven't tried it or anything like it, it's just an idea in my head.

Problem is that it would need to be a negative image. And I would rather not have to make a negative impression off something like that myself, but that's the only thing I've come up with myself.

-DavicusPrime

Problem is that it would need to be a negative image. And I would rather not have to make a negative impression off something like that myself, but that's the only thing I've come up with myself.

-DavicusPrime

By looking at train scenery tools, you might be able to find a negative image mold of some form. I have seen them for many things, although I can't remember if cobblestone or some variety is one of the ones I have seen.