Reviving GW paints?

Lussuria

Hello everyone!!

Long story a short, a friend had some older GW paints that they no longer really used and offered to let me have them and see if I could use any of them.

Now, some of them have gone a little like sludge? Does anyone happen to know any good methods for reviving GW paints that have done this?

Here is an image of what I'm talking about:

post-13642-13911930365904_thumb.jpg

Thanks for any advice!!

It actually depends on the individual paint/color and their formulation; metals have 'sparkly flakes' that tend to separate from the medium and the pigments tend sediment on the bottom, while other colors might just get gradually thicker without separating turning into 'paint pudding'.

When I deal with older dryish GW paints I generally use a stick to get a glob of the paint on the palette, add a few drops of Mixing medium and add water till I get a somewhat fluid paint without clumps on my palette; if I can't get rid of the clumps of dried paint I give up and throw the old paint away.

This method worked so far with reds, browns and greens, but if did not helps with some of my old whites, yellows, pink and often metals.

Anyway, I would not advise to add water/medium into the old paint bottles, since depending on the paint formulation it can get vastly different results and generally not really usable, keep your reviving on your palette, don't try mixing and shaking in the bottles themselves...

Thanks very much, Baffo! I will attempt that :)

I was hoping there was a paint reviver or something I could purchase and add to the bottles, but I'll try some mixing medium on my palette instead. Really appreciate the advice!

And any ideas/luck anyone else has had!

Thanks very much, Baffo! I will attempt that :)

I was hoping there was a paint reviver or something I could purchase and add to the bottles, but I'll try some mixing medium on my palette instead. Really appreciate the advice!

And any ideas/luck anyone else has had!

Add a little water to the pot. Stir. Repeat until desired consistency is achieved.

This has worked for me for almost 30 years. I am a Golden Demon winner.

Aside from what has already been mentioned when my paints have thickened like that I use a mix of :

1 part Matte Medium (liquitex) Binder

1 part Gloss medium (liquitex) Binder

3 parts Flow Improver (liquitex) Pigment spreader

and 1 part Distilled Water (brand doesn't matter much, the key is that it is distilled with as few "flavor" additives as possible) Pigment spreader

I also add a few plastic beads to help mixing and loosening the pigment.

The picture you have above is plenty saveable with that mixture (I have revived worse) and it also works great for thinning your paints to near translucency.

The key is to add back in a binder to the thickened paints otherwise you'll have issues with adhesion and/or quality later on. I like to use both matte and gloss to get a clean satin/ eggshell finish as opposed to one extreme or the other by just using them alone.

Hope it helps.

PS if you add a bit of the mix into your paints before storing them they will last a very long time (before I switched to the new line of Citadel paints I had some from the old line that were 6-7 years old and rarely touched).

GW paints are water based paints when they dry out like that I just add a few drops of water and shake well till the consistency is where it should be.

Thankyou very much!

Aside from what has already been mentioned when my paints have thickened like that I use a mix of :

1 part Matte Medium (liquitex) Binder

1 part Gloss medium (liquitex) Binder

3 parts Flow Improver (liquitex) Pigment spreader

and 1 part Distilled Water (brand doesn't matter much, the key is that it is distilled with as few "flavor" additives as possible) Pigment spreader

PS if you add a bit of the mix into your paints before storing them they will last a very long time (before I switched to the new line of Citadel paints I had some from the old line that were 6-7 years old and rarely touched).

Oh thanks! I might try this on a few of the ones I haven't been able to bring back with just water alone. At this point I think they may actually just be out-rightly dead - but it's well worth a try! :) Muchly appreciated!